PDA

View Full Version : "The speech"

el gato
10-28-2002, 06:02 PM
This hand is from a about a year ago... I flat call a pre-flop raise from an early position player in mid-position with AK(spade). We take the flop 8-handed for 2 bets. I flop the nut flush. I flat call the flop and check-raise the turn against the button who turned bottom 2-pair. I tried to milk every cent out of that pot. The river brings a 4th spade which pairs the board, which gives him runner-runner full house, which he tells me by raising the river.

As my opponent is dragging in the pot, he can't help it. A smirk slowly crosses his lips and here it comes... "Gee, if you had 3-bet before the flop no way I can see the flop. Or even if you raise on the flop how can I call with just bottom pair."

I swear to God it's 20 times worse than losing the pot. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

MMMMMM
10-28-2002, 07:22 PM
You need to develop a tougher poker skin. Once you do, you will greet these offenses as welcome challenges, to be met with silent menace and a smile, and perhaps a joke and laughter. Very shortly thereafter a subtle nonspecific sense of doom will seed itself in the subconscious mind of the offendive party. This will distract him from optimum play for the remainder of the session, and you should reap some benefit therefrom if you remain alert. Of course if you dwell upon the indignity and your misfortune, your opponent will have you where he wants you and you will be mincemeat.

andyfox
10-28-2002, 08:13 PM
Good advice. I usually say, "You're right, sir, I messed that one up badly, didn't I?" with a smile and a freigned disgusted shake of my head.

If you play well, they're gonna draw out on long shots on you much more often than you do on them because you'll be taking the worst of it that much less often.

So let them deliver the speech while you plan the next hand.

MMMMMM
10-28-2002, 08:22 PM
So it's generally good for us and for the game when they give us a speech, but it's generally bad for the game when they give someone else a speech and irritate that person.

Herb N.
10-28-2002, 08:43 PM
For what its worth I Quite often just smooth call an up front raise with AKs if the raise came from up front:#1 he proubly has you beet pre-flop#2AK suited may get lucky and have lets say 78[with the same suit calling]if he hits his flush you win a big pot.for this reason I do like to smoth call more often in the later positions. this is a double edge sword when you dont raise,But you can {and almost did}win a huge pot .So you gotta take the bad along with the good.If your a grinder hopeing at the end of the year to be some kind of winner you might tend to raise every time with AKs.If you realy know how to play and Can take some tough beats mix up your play raise with AKs %40%Up front maybe 70%.As far as the guy giving lessons[after winning your pot] he is a jerk,never be like him.Good Luck!