PDA

View Full Version : Any quick pointers for the party 250k gaur.?

Eihli
04-10-2005, 03:14 PM
I satted in a few days ago but I'm still pretty new to multi's. Any tips that would help me not completely waste the next few hours?

TheTimeIsUp
04-10-2005, 03:15 PM
If you play lower limit mtts, play will be a little tighter. Just don't play scared and you'll be fine.

Supersetoy
04-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Survive until the money. Play quality hands.

Once you make the money: Steal steal and steal. Call short stacks with nothing (1/10th of your stack to call their all in) and hope to get lucky.

Try to avoid other large stacks at the table...all pretty basic stuff (to me at least.)

TheTimeIsUp
04-10-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Survive until the money. Play quality hands.

Once you make the money: Steal steal and steal. Call short stacks with nothing (1/10th of your stack to call their all in) and hope to get lucky.

Try to avoid other large stacks at the table...all pretty basic stuff (to me at least.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never make it to the money if you are just trying to survive. I don't like this advice at all. Play aggro once the blinds get to a point where a steal will increase your stack decently.

CardSharpCook
04-10-2005, 03:34 PM
listen to JJ, not the stranger.

CSC

bobby rooney
04-10-2005, 03:43 PM
When the antes kick in, you have to steal your share of blinds/antes. Every good NL holdem player has the heart of a thief.

Eihli
04-10-2005, 03:46 PM
You're all saying to steal blinds when they get big, but one of the problems I find is that when the blinds get big and I have just an average to slightly above average stack I loosen up and start trying to steal a bit from LP with hands like QTs and such, but if I miss one steal or someone pushes me in, it hurts my stack considerably. If it happens twice, I'm damn near shortstacked and went from being healthy to having to all-in on any hand. Would it be better, when I have only an average to slightly above average stack, to only play hands that I wouldn't mind going all-in with? In TPFAP it says that when you are too small stacked to play around with raises, but too large stacked to be pushing all-in preflop, you should wait untill the blinds go up since you'll have a bigger advantage pushing preflop than being put in a situation where any raise hurts your stack.

CardSharpCook
04-10-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In TPFAP it says that when you are too small stacked to play around with raises, but too large stacked to be pushing all-in preflop, you should wait untill the blinds go up since you'll have a bigger advantage pushing preflop than being put in a situation where any raise hurts your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Btwn 6-12X the BB, patience is your best bet. Wait for the blinds to go up or your stack to go down before you make your next move.

CSC

note: once you pass the bubble, lower that range to 6-10.

TheTimeIsUp
04-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Seems like you guys are all getting a bit ahead of yourself. You are assuming this guy will get to the deep blind levels and the bubble period.

Eihli
04-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey! Those are perfectly reasonable assumptions! Who says they aren't?

TheTimeIsUp
04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey! Those are perfectly reasonable assumptions! Who says they aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's possible to get to the bubble sitting out.