PDA

View Full Version : BIG POT FOR DJ! (was re: Playing out of my league)

10-28-2002, 05:43 PM
You played this hand in the $10-20 pot limit hold'em game at the commerce. I'm assuming that when you say "raise" you mean a pot size raise. After looking at the action, that comes out to a pretty big pot.

Preflop, the middle player opens for $70, button raises to $240, you call, BB folds, MP calls. Pot is $740.
For simplicity, let's make it $700.

On the flop, you check, MP bets pot of $700, button raises to $2800, you call and raise $7000 more to $9800, and both players call you. Pot is now $31,100 let's round it
to $30k for simplicity.

On the turn, you still like your hand so you bet the pot of $30k. MP raises to $120k. Button calls the $120k cold. You chicken out and decide to just call the $90k cold.
Three players put in $120k each. Pot is $390k, lets round it to $300 for simplicity.

On the river, a Q hits and you check out of fear that your opponent has bet over $100,000 for a two outer. Your river check makes MP think his hand is good, so he bets the pot, $300k. Sure enough, the button likes his hand now and pots it, making it $1.8 Million to go.

You decide to call all-in as does MP, which implies that neither of you had enough to call the $1.5 million raise* on the river.

Regardless of the final result, you should never sit in a game like this with a short stack. Next time, make sure you can cover the river bet.

natedogg

* Without all the rounding down I did the river raise becomes over $2mil, if there's any limpers before MP makes his initial preflop raise, the pot could swell to around $3 mil on the river depending on the number of limpers. If the players were making raises of less than the pot, the river could have been a lot smaller, as paltry as a mere $200K or $300K.

thebroker
10-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Very good post. I thought his numbers were off just didn't take the time to check. So is the poster formally known as natedogg back to himself?