PDA

View Full Version : 14 Straight 4th Place Finishes (LC)

DangerGoodson
04-10-2005, 03:01 PM
is there anything more painful?

Freudian
04-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Ouch. That is painful. I am currently having one of those days where every coinflip loses but your streak is much worse than that.

Perhaps time to take a look at your bubble play also. I always take a bad streak as a time to do a game checkup.

Phoenix1010
04-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Yes. But there are very few things.

viennagreen
04-10-2005, 03:16 PM
15 straight

citanul
04-10-2005, 04:07 PM
i'd bet having your nuts put under constant mildly heavy for a few hours is probably more painful. you're welcome to experiment and post results.

citanul

Blarg
04-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I have. That's why I don't dryhump anymore. After a little while, they gotta deliver or we gotta do something else.

Apathy
04-10-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have. That's why I don't dryhump anymore. After a little while, they gotta deliver or we gotta do something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like play SNGs?

johnnybeef
04-10-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never had my testicles placed in a vice, but i bet that would suck.... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

NegativeEV
04-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Ugghh. Sorry to have been part of it.

iRoD
04-10-2005, 10:42 PM

pepper spray

Apathy
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

pepper spray

[/ QUOTE ]

IN YA FACE!

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, since we're ranting. Here's my hands thus far today that I've lost out on where I was a 2:1 favorite or better.

AA v 22, this guy pushed into me
QQ v JJ, first hand of the game
AQ v A9, this guy called my push
A9 v A7, this guy called my push
AQ v AJ, this guy called my reraise
KT v K6, this was one of those math calls
88 v K7....

these are mostly 4 handed, and a couple 5 handed. Variance is such a bitch!

I seriously can see how someone would destroy there keyboard, lose hair by the handfuls, kick their dog, and drink profusely!!!

spentrent
04-10-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kick their dog

[/ QUOTE ]

UNLESS you rely on constant dog-walking for good karma! I will admit my superstitions with pride.

[ QUOTE ]
drink profusely!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

CANNOT argue with this.

1C5
04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
True story about dogs. I have a 2 year old ch. lab (let me find a picture), best dog in the world. I was playing one time, after a bad suckout for my 18th out of the money in a row I yelled loud out of anger and my poor dog got so scared that he ran out of the room with his tail in between his legs. I didn't yell at him but he was so scared. After that I felt SO bad and now have not even gotten angry since then. It is just not worth it, it is just a freakin game and I won't go poor by losing 18 in a row so no more getting mad.

Here is Maverick:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/DougDev/Maverick/2004-09-01008.jpg

vindikation
04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had a bad weekend. The past 24 hours have been the worst run I have had in 6 months. I've finished ITM only 5 times out of the last 31 SnG's. Granted I only play a small number compared to you guys, but I'm SERIOUSLY starting to doubt my game.

This may sound stupid, but what do you guys do to "get back" the confidence in your game (this assumes you have been a winning player and are just hitting some bad luck)?

dfscott
04-11-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing one time, after a bad suckout for my 18th out of the money in a row I yelled loud out of anger and my poor dog got so scared that he ran out of the room with his tail in between his legs. I didn't yell at him but he was so scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, but it was my 1-year-old. He started wailing and he normally has a great disposition:

http://uploadyourimages.com/img/005037zander_saucer_laugh.jpg

Talk about feeling like a heel...

spentrent
04-11-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This may sound stupid, but what do you guys do to "get back" the confidence in your game (this assumes you have been a winning player and are just hitting some bad luck)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take the dog on a longer walk than usual; I have two ~3 mile routes perfect for that occasion, one that goes through the woods when I think I need some nature. By the time I get back I feel mentally refreshed.

Hell, what's stupid about your question? I'm a human first, poker player second. If I never tilted I'd be lying about the former.

DangerGoodson
04-11-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
drink profusely!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
check

deathpotato
04-11-2005, 02:21 AM
All these people on bad runs! I've also done terribly these last couple of days, 15 in a row OOTM, then a 1st, a 3rd, and another 10 OOTM. I'll see if I can turn it around tonight...

hummusx
04-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Hang in there. I just started playing STTs again after a pretty long break, and I was running bad - real bad. I'd almost started to believe that I wasn't just on a down streak when things finally turned around. Yesterday turned into a very good day.

1C5
04-11-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had a bad weekend. The past 24 hours have been the worst run I have had in 6 months. I've finished ITM only 5 times out of the last 31 SnG's. Granted I only play a small number compared to you guys, but I'm SERIOUSLY starting to doubt my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is tough. Maybe review a few of the HH with plays you were not sure about and then see if you would make that same play again.

Other than that, keep playing, variance is a bitch sometimes!

1C5
04-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Just remember that a large percentage of players on Party would quit SnGs forever if they ever had such a bad downswing. We have to realize that the days where we get8 ITM in a row will compensate for the days with 20 out of the money in a row.

1C5
04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Cute baby! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris_P
04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14 straight finishes on the bubble....

citanul
04-11-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14 straight finishes on the bubble....

[/ QUOTE ]

?

do you mean MTTs?

kyro
04-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't get it. Do you mean in your last 14 tourneys you've made 4th place every time? That seems impossible. Or is it the last 14 times you've made it to the bubble you lost. Both blow.

I'm actually running well. I had a 6 ITM streak, then lost 6 in a row. I thought that was the start of a bad streak. Then in my next 4 I had 2 1sts and a 3rd. So much for that bad streak.

mackthefork
04-11-2005, 10:22 AM
15 straight 4th place finishes

Hahahaha (http://www.comicbookgirl.com/pictures/art/other/countvoncount.jpg)

Hope your luck changes soon

Regards Mack

kevstreet
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Scuba, Goodsen, Vindikation and the rest,

I was so close to posting a Bad Beat rant last night but figured I'd sleep it off instead. My entire weekend was filled w/ suckouts!! In regards to the examples you gave Scuba, I thought I was looking at MY hand histories for the weekend! Oh well, this thread was a little comforting... misery loves company!

vindikation
04-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback and replies.

I've only been playing poker for 9 months so this is my first "bad run" and it has shocked the hell out of me. I didn't sleep well at all last night. Out of inexperience I couldn't really believe some of the stuff posted here (now I'm finally understanding it):

"not a matter of IF you hit a 10 straight OTM but WHEN"

"18 in a row OTM"

"you need at least a 500 sample size"

This morning I woke up, exercised, went to work and feel a hell of a lot better. It is only poker, so WTF? So many more important things. When the game stops becoming fun (or I lose my entire bankroll) I think it's time for me to pick up another hobby.

The Yugoslavian
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
If your worst run in 6 months is a 5/31 ITM streak...I certainly don't feel sorry for you at all.

How is this even much of a bad run?!?!?!

So yeah, there are many things you can do that may or may not help. I highly recommend junking your spreadsheet and not updating it frequently...

I'm at 7 days and counting spreadsheet free!!!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Yugoslav
Who only knows that he still has money in his account at least /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scuba Chuck
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the zen answers to this question, I believe the remaining suggestions are very vague.

IMO, review has its comforts. Review your play, particularly the hands you went out on. If you played them correctly, then move on, it's the variance beeatch.

But, here's the trick. How do you judge what is the correct play?

Two methods:
1) Math
2) Survival Equity

Don't let the Math be the only yardstick by which you judge the "correct" play. See my earlier post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2126064&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

suited_ace
04-11-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(re)Reading this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1822484&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) and this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=182 5403&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Almost%20There%20With% 20Success%20and%20Failure&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Ma in=1825403&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=18623&da terange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&olderty pe=&bodyprev=#Post1825403) helped me a lot to calm down and regain some confidence. After all, I'm still in my 4/23 ITM run... Can't wait to have a *good* run.