PDA

View Full Version : KK, level 1

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t990)
MP3 (t890)
CO (t1110)
Button (t685)
SB (t1205)
Hero (t955)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1165)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls t80, Button calls t80.

Flop: (t397.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero .....

<font color="blue"> Man, I really hate being UTG here, or first to act. What's the right move? </font>

spentrent
04-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Lead half the pot OR hope to check-raise?

That ace should scare villain more than it scares you.

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hope to check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like checking.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

Out of curiosity, what type of hands do you put $55ers on who call a big raise like that?

willperkins
04-10-2005, 05:24 PM
This is a tough position to be in.

I would normally bet 2/3 of the pot to give anyone the improper odds to hit the flush. However, with the amount of money you have left, if you are going to bet 2/3 of the pot, you may as well push because you are pot committed.

The problem is you are out of position to MP3 who raised 3 X BB and then called your reraise as well as the button who cold called a raise and a reraise.

Since you have KK, the odds are against one of them having AK. I do not think MP3 would raise and call a reraise with AQ (although I have seen players do so if suited) or a lower Ace.

Likewise, I don't think the button would cold call a raise and reraise with AQ or a lower Ace.

That leaves large PP like AA or QQ.

If they have AA, I'm dead in the water unless I get runner, runner diamond.

I'm not a great player and I could be very wrong, but this is my read and I would push (IMHO).

Please feel free to tell me where my thinking goes astray.

valenzuela
04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I check, I think betting is wrong.

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check, I think betting is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one reason not to check. It allows all the pocket pairs one more card to see.

spentrent
04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hope to check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm right there with ya... but I pointed it out as an option only because if successful -- meaning, villain doesn't check behind or push all-in -- it would represent a lot of strength, a nice follow-up to the pre-flop reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

Out of curiosity, what type of hands do you put $55ers on who call a big raise like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: my 11|22 to 55 ratio approaches infinity, so I can't answer that question given that condition.

However, my feeling is that there's a higher probability that the typical $55er is "more aware" of represented strength than the typical 11|22er (hence the check-raise option, something I'd almost NEVER do in 11|22 land in this situation, as I can imagine weakish Ax hands calling it anyway: "dur, I'm pot-committed since I bet first.")

If I'm you, I'm putting villain on 99-AA|AKs+o|AQs+o. But I might be giving more respect than I should.

If I'm the caller, I'm putting you on QQ-AA|AK. I'm not expecting you to be making a tricky play this early to pick up the blinds + my raise pre-flop.

I want my flop actions to make AK|AQ taste bile and fold. I also want 99-QQ (KK is just so unlikely) to fold without getting tricky; same deal for a four-flush. (Another plus for the check-raise, since we have to fold to a reraise if we lead.)

Leading out is probably the best option, since the ace is scary and the diamonds make it reasonable for your AK not to be in a milking mood. But I want to hear the opinions of other players at your level. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

adanthar
04-10-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is one reason not to check. It allows all the pocket pairs one more card to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they both have pocket pairs, they're getting 2 free cards for a combined 8 outs as far as I'm concerned. This hand ended when an idiot (you can tell because he's already down 300) coldcalled two separate raises and an ace hit.

spentrent
04-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I realize that I'm only taking one villain "seriously" here. I think Adanthar is correct with his analysis that implies that one of the villains is crack-addicted, and could have junk like Ax|22+.

TANGENT: Chuck, I ordered HOH after your dazzling recommendation (I think you said something like "best NLHE book ever") in reply to my question about it a month+ ago. From his constant ripping of online players it seems he's been screwed out of thousands by Ax players /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand ended when an idiot (you can tell because he's already down 300) coldcalled two separate raises and an ace hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand ended when I checked, and it checked through. Turn card was a low card. I pushed, and was called by a made set on the turn.

valenzuela
04-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I dont see the need to give more chips to the idiot that called with A7.

spentrent
04-10-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont see the need to give more chips to the idiot that called with A7.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also can't let the idiot who called with 33|44|66|77|88|Kx make a play on us when we check that big pot. Also, some idiots make up for their pre-flop looseness by being capable of folding TPNK to a bet on the flop.

RDWallace
04-10-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah, unless he has the ace, which he probably does. It's not uncommon to see players in these lower buyin SNGS open with hands like AT/AJ/AQ/AK and stand reraises, especially if they have position. With two players left to act behind you leading at this flop would be reckless.

stupidsucker
04-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Raise more preflop.

This wont always make a difference, and seeing an ace on the flop holding KK is always a disapointment.

I bet half the pot here and I fold to a raise. If I get a cold caller I check the turn.

valenzuela
04-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Im a pussy early and a maniac late.

raptor517
04-10-2005, 09:40 PM
make it at LEAST 225 pre flop. but if you played it that way, check fold the flop. and its REALLY not close. holla

spentrent
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, unless he has the ace, which he probably does. It's not uncommon to see players in these lower buyin SNGS open with hands like AT/AJ/AQ/AK and stand reraises, especially if they have position. With two players left to act behind you leading at this flop would be reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

spentrent
04-10-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im a pussy early and a maniac late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

But I'd express my inner vadge by bet/folding rather than check/folding. I think that there's a "good enough" chance that a weak ace will fold, and that I can lose this bet if necessary and still have a chance to finish ITM.

Scuba Chuck
04-10-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check fold the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my attempt, but what happens if it checks through?

J-Lo
04-10-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check fold the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my attempt, but what happens if it checks through?

[/ QUOTE ]

check fold on turn and check fold on river too