PDA

View Full Version : Curb Your Enthusiasm

nothumb
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I was watching the first episode of this on DVD right before leaving for work the other day. I really couldn't stand it. My girlfriend always told me I would really like the show, but I hated it. The totally obvious situation comedy, the "This is bad, bad acting but it's like real life so it's okay," tactic, the prolonged discomfort of the whole 10 minutes that I actually watched. I switched it off. Maybe it just wasn't the right day, but I just didn't want to watch this show.

NT

Roan
04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
It's hit and miss. It's not like normal TV comedy where a joke comes every 30 seconds right on schedule. Sometimes you have to sit through 20 boring minutes for one funny conversation. But I've laughed harder at CYE than just about any other show.

jason_t
04-10-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was watching the first episode of this on DVD right before leaving for work the other day. I really couldn't stand it. My girlfriend always told me I would really like the show, but I hated it. The totally obvious situation comedy, the "This is bad, bad acting but it's like real life so it's okay," tactic, the prolonged discomfort of the whole 10 minutes that I actually watched. I switched it off. Maybe it just wasn't the right day, but I just didn't want to watch this show.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Seinfeld >> Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's not even close.

miajag81
04-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I just don't see where the obsession with this show comes from at all.

Joe826
04-10-2005, 11:37 AM
The first season is not nearly as good as the others. It is hard to get use to. I didn't like it that much until I got use to the characters and the way it was shot, but it's really, really funny once you do. Start watching the second season if you have those on DVD and I can almost guarentee once you get halfway through or so you'll enjoy it.

theBruiser500
04-10-2005, 11:49 AM
"
Seinfeld >> Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's not even close."

shjut up jason you moron this is completely untrue it really annoys me to hear someone say this

Lazymeatball
04-10-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"

shjut up jason you moron this is completely untrue it really annoys me to hear someone say this

[/ QUOTE ]

What a sound argument. he happens to be right. That is no slight on CYE, Seinfeld is just such a great show that it's an unfair standard to hold other shows up to.

PhatTBoll
04-10-2005, 01:09 PM
I've tried to watch it several times and found it really boring. I just can't bring myself to give a crap about what the characters are doing.

andyfox
04-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I didn't like it very much when I first saw it either. I think it's because there are no funny people in the show. Which is a drawback for a comedy. I like it somewhat better now, if only because it's a Los Angeles based show with a lot of LAisms in it. I don't see how non-Angelinos get half of the humor.

PassiveCaller
04-10-2005, 02:09 PM
It's pretty damn funny. If you really liked seinfeld you'll like it. It took alittle time to grow on me but this is like a darker seinfeld for those that loved it more or less.

BusterStacks
04-10-2005, 02:17 PM
This is a fantastic program and I urge you to at least see a few more episodes with an open mind. It's VERY funny.

diddle
04-10-2005, 02:18 PM
sounds like you will be in line to see the new "XXX" with Ice Cube

BusterStacks
04-10-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like you will be in line to see the new "XXX" with Ice Cube

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

DCJ311
04-10-2005, 02:45 PM
One of the funniest shows I've ever seen, the first 3 seasons were 90% hilarious. Larry David has a very deep understanding of what is funny, much like Ben Stiller.

willie
04-10-2005, 02:51 PM
i like it.

SpearsBritney
04-10-2005, 02:56 PM
The first few times I hated it. Loved it ever since.

Chef with Tourettes + open kithchen = haha

cjhellm
04-10-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the funniest shows I've ever seen, the first 3 seasons were 90% hilarious. Larry David has a very deep understanding of what is funny, much like Ben Stiller.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored]? your post started off so well..

Popinjay
04-10-2005, 03:11 PM
mostly i just watch it for cheryl hines. that gets me through the boring parts. but it sort of uses a napoleon dynamite type of comedy where it makes you feel a little uncomfortable for a while, thus lowering your tolerance for laughing really hard, then a nice humorous situation arises and it's hilarious

theBruiser500
04-10-2005, 03:33 PM
i really don't understand how people like seinfeld, the humor is so contrived it isn't even funny, the only funny thing is kramer

DCJ311
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored]? your post started off so well..

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, Ben Stiller has made his fair share of BAD movies, but he still knows what's funny. He's not that funny as an actor, but his writing is usually very good. Ever watch the Ben Stiller show on Fox when it was on maybe 12 yrs ago? Good stuff.

istewart
04-10-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i really don't understand how people like seinfeld, the humor is so contrived it isn't even funny, the only funny thing is kramer

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite wrong.

Curb owns, although it's not as good as Seinfeld. It's pretty easy for people that aren't from LA to like it either, since he is a NEW YORK JEW.

jason_t
04-10-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never been more wrong.

jason_t
04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On second thought, yes, you have.

fsuplayer
04-10-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a fantastic program and I urge you to at least see a few more episodes with an open mind. It's VERY funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

my gf hated if for the first 3 episodes, then loved it after that. maybe that will be the case for you.

give it a chance. its great.

istewart
04-10-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my gf hated if for the first 3 episodes, then loved it after that. maybe that will be the case for you.

give it a chance. its great.

[/ QUOTE ]

stanky
04-10-2005, 06:52 PM
You have to give it more than 10 minutes. Most of the punch lines come in the last couple of minutes. Also it's not a show that you can watch while doing other things, some of the jokes are subtle. And the bad acting you describe is probably because Larry David allows the actors to adlib, he doesn't make them stick totally to the script which I believe makes for some really funny scenes.

-Pete

istewart
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't make them stick totally to the script

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there is no actual script other than specific scene layouts, and David telling the characters the gist of what he wants them to say. Other than that it's all improv.

stanky
04-10-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there is no actual script other than specific scene layouts, and David telling the characters the gist of what he wants them to say. Other than that it's all improv.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think there has to be some sort of script but your right there is alot of improv.

-Pete

stanky
04-10-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think there has to be some sort of script but your right there is alot of improv.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wrong. I just googled it and there are several articles that say it has no script.