PDA

View Full Version : Stars new Rebuy format ?

Potowame
04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Stars has a new rebuy format 1 rebuy, 1 add on. How would this change your stratagy. Rebuy right away, or play aggressive with the first by-in to build a stack, and if you have to rebuy tighten up?

Also I would assume it would be profitable to push the players around that have used thier rebuy, and you have covered, since they have a fear of being busted now.

woodguy
04-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I think re-buying right away and then playing your regular game is my favorite option when you only have 1 re-buy. You can maximize your return on good hands right away, and with only 1 re-buy most at your table will not rebuy immediately, so you get to outstack your opponents quickly.

When you do not rebuy right away, but push hard with your iinitial stack two things can happen that I dislike:

1) You get busted then buy back, now you only have 1/2 the stack you would if you bought right away, but are playing like a freezeout, just like rebuying right away. (you may have not been in the hand had you bought right away and played freezeout strategy)

2) You build your stack, but now you cannot rebuy due to your stack size, so you have saved yourself 1 buyin, but you may have given up chips by not rebuying right away when you had your good hands. You have a reasonable stack, but you start playing like a freeze out because you don't really want to go broke and rebuy due to stack size implications. Essentially you have turned your rebuy into bad beat insurance.

A lot of people treat 1 rebuy as bad beat insurance, I like to use it as an initial stack builder, as having more chips than my opponents is the best bad beat insurance.

Regards,
Woodguy

Potowame
04-10-2005, 10:57 AM
good post woodguy, makes alot of sense.

Vonnnnn Vad Veat, Twoooooo Vad Veats, Vreeeee Vad Veats. I count Vreeeeee Vad Veats ahh ha ha ha. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

betgo
04-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I played in it and it was awful. I figured athe $10 rebuy would be like a $30 freezeout. However, it seemed to be filled with tight players who didn't like the wild rebuy play. I found there were a lot of players who liked to trap, maybe tight passive players.

I bought my rebuy at the beginning, as did a lot of people. If you don't rebuy at the beginning, you may never get a chance to rebuy.

I think trying to push people around who have used up their rebuy would be pretty silly.

Potowame
04-10-2005, 11:12 AM
So basically play like a deep stack $30 trny.

hurlyburly
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
That's how I treated it. Saw close to 200 hands in it without catching good. I only budget 1 rebuy in the regular, as well.

I prefer the regular LAGgy rebuys, and found everyone adjusted to the limitations a little better than I like.

Mad Genius1
04-10-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically play like a deep stack $30 trny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It is basically a freezeout, with the big advantage being the the stack-to-blind ratio will be a lot better throughout the tourney, giving the better players a bigger edge.

MicroBob
04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
precisely. $30 deep-stack freeze-out.

there is not a single re-buy tourney format on Stars where I wouldn't recommend re-buying right at the start as well as almost ALWAYS taking the add-on.