PDA

View Full Version : Rough Days

chadplusplus
04-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Man oh man... just experienced worst losing day in poker - ever.

I barely hit any flops... and when i did... some idiot would hit thier rag on the river to give them 2 pair or I would hit a set and have four of a suit on the board, etc...

My question is... what do you guys do out there on days like this? Keep playing and hope the bad luck ends (i know it all evens out in the end) or take a break and reflect on your play.

Damn cards... this game's really frustrating sometimes.

Ianco15
04-10-2005, 05:31 AM
I was going to try to give a funny answer but I had a day like yours today to, so I'll tell you what I did. After getting pwned for gazillionth time today, I closed all my tables on Party and turned off my computer and went to the gym. I had a really good workout too. I did back and bis. All the pent up frustration was gone by the time I was done.

In a nutshell, when you are feeling frustrated or tilted, imeadiately stop playing and go do something physical.

Ianco15
04-10-2005, 05:36 AM
I thought of another thing to say. After you have taken a break for a while, review your hand histories and post some hands you have questions about. Welcome to the forums.

EightStuda
04-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Two most common things that I do on days like you describe are: 1.) Rub a couple out. Don't stop at just one, go till you're damn near dry. 2.) Jump on my wife. Make her pay, afterall, someone's got to.

-Dimitri

chadplusplus
04-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your guys' input... I took a break and reflected, then kept playing... break even...

But curiously, I looked at my numbers on PT...

Before this 24 hour period - $WSF 28%, Showdown 24%, $@SD 53%

Past 24 hours - $WSF 28%, Showdown 27%, $@SD 42%

Perhaps I stayed in too long in a few hands... but could the 3% up in going to the showdown really create a 11% drop in money at showdown, or does this really look like just a bad day... I want to make sure I haven't f*ed something up?

BTW, how are those #s? showdown % too high? - I've been seeing about 16% of flops when not a blind and about 21% total - preflop raise = 7%

I play .50/1 limit and $25 & $50 buyin pot limit games

P.S. - I'll be sure to make my GF pay when she wakes up.

Supersetoy
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
There are times that you have a rough day, a rough couple of days, and I've even gone through a few rough months.

The way I think about my wins/losses in poker is how I view the ocean tide. It comes in, it goes out. How you handle those swings is the most important thing.

When I'm constintently experiencing bad beats a few of my strategies include:

1) Tightening up. Noting the player that bad beat me, and focusing on the hands they are playing/showing down. Nothing is sweeter than revenge.

2) I tend to experience more bad beats when I slow play. When I've hit my hand, I bet, and I bet hard. I'd rather take down 100 small pots than lose 1 huge one by giving free cards.

3) On the $.5/1 tables I stop raising my "best" hands. AA, KK, QQ, AK suited. I'd let people see the flop (because a hand worth $.50 is worth $1.00...and $1.50...etc.) That limit isn't high enough to make people pay. And even in the higher limits, there are still bigger bank rolls where people seem to not care that you four bet your rockets.

4) Pay attention to raises post flop. When I'm holding a set of kings with 3 clubs on the board and I'm getting reraised, I'm more than likely beat. Getting married to my hands is something I really need to work on in limit games. From what I've experienced, a raise on 4th or 5th street is telling me that they "think" they have a better hand than me. And if I'm not reraising, then more than likely I'm folding.

And finally, if none of this works, I quit and realize that it is just another day.

TStoneMBD
04-10-2005, 03:52 PM
welcome to the forums. make sure not to contribute anything pertinent here. we all appreciate all bad beat posts.

jstewsmole
04-10-2005, 04:13 PM
i would agree with most of ur post but number 3. U want to raise whenever u have pot equity (sometimes best wait until the turn for a better edge but thats another thing)if ur gun shy in this situation because youve been getting drawn out on or u think someone will draw out on you then u should take a break and not even play. Its true u ll get bad beat more often in the smaller limits but its pure EV to raise when u have the edge. Remember results especiallly in the short term, should have no impact on the way u play. Every hand is an independent event with no regards to whats gone on previously. If u cant continue to have no fear and raise when u should u shouldnt be playing unless ur not interested in profit.

ksuns
04-10-2005, 04:54 PM
There is nothing like a workout after you get ur ass kicked in poker...i agree.

Supersetoy
04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If u cant continue to have no fear and raise when u should u shouldnt be playing unless ur not interested in profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm a bonus whore and I'm just there for the rake. (And maybe to make a little extra on top of it)

comic2b
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Man I understand. I had a sort of bad yesterday. On Friday I try the 4 multi table party at .50/1.00. I normally play bigger limit omaha, pl omaha, or MTT. I thought I'd go for it. On Friday I won $80 in a couple of hours.

On Saturday playing the same strategy I lost 220 in a total of two sessions totaling about 4 hours. Man, I cant be that bad can I.

Then I played pl o/8 400 buy in and won 600. That took the edge off.

My advice besides workout, sex, drugs, or music.

Play different game or site.
If need to blow off steam play .02/.04 and play as bad as they do.

Da Cleaner
04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I tell you something.... I am on a run of bad luck that I cannot believe. Im talking about every single bad card situation you can imagine, over and over and over. I play tight, every medium hand I fold hits like a sledgehammer with three guys banging at the pot. I play loose, the board misses me every single time. I hit a hand, I'm trapped. I push with big pocket pairs, everybody folds. I slow play, they draw out. I can't win, no matter what I do right now. I have finished just out of the money in like the last fifteen tournaments I've played..... I am ready to give up.

jzpiano14
04-11-2005, 01:39 AM
welcome to poker and welcome to the forums /images/graemlins/grin.gif

memphis57
04-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Generally, the best response is to strategically mis-spell certain words and, of course, claim that on-line poker is rigged. For example, this post should have been titled "Teh Pokar she sucks - proof that it's rigged."

Posts such as that are guaranteed to turn around a losing streak. Do you see why? No? Let me explain.

The poker sites are constantly monitoring message boards like this one, looking for disgruntled players. Now, there have to be some losers, so many complainers they simply note in their files and leave alone. However, by mis-spelling "teh pokar" you make clear that you are cool and thus likely to be an opinion leader. This is likely to cause them to recode your account into the favorable flop category.