PDA

View Full Version : QQ utg

unglee
04-10-2005, 03:18 AM
25K tourney, 25 left, 18 make the money. Average stack is 5K, Hero has 10K, and UTG+1 (Villian) has 12K. Blinds are 400/800. From the 20 or so hands you've played with the Villian, you haven't seen him play a hand--he came in with 16K and has been blinded away to his current 12K.

I have been stealing a good amount, once or twice a cycle, and have worked my way up to my current 10K.

I have QQ utg and make my standard 3x raise to 2.4K. Villian miniraises to 4.8K. It's folded around to me. What do you do?

Results coming soon to a theatre near you...

TheTimeIsUp
04-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Tough fold to make, but since your read is tight on him, you could possibly lay this down. However, I would pop back at him, since these blinds are literally monsters compared to the average stack.

NYCNative
04-10-2005, 08:31 AM
First of all, I don't do standard raises UTG. I generally make them a lot bigger. A raise UTG is a bold move and a bigger raise, even more so. If you get raised then it's an easy fold. If you get called, you get to see if you hit a set for "free;" if not, play a cautious post-flop even without any overs.

I would take a reraise of an UTG player to be a strong move, but if it was a small one, I'd at least want to see the flop - even if you don't hit a Queen, you can flop something that scares the crap out of him like a couple Jacks or three spades with spadeless rockets in the pocket.

If it's not a "scary" flop then you can check it and see or make a teaser bet to see where you stand.

Jason Strasser
04-10-2005, 08:42 AM
You have 12xbb and QQ, right?

-Jason

betgo
04-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Easy push on the reraise. I would be very plaeses to get allin preflop with QQ. If villain has aces or kings, he probably busts you out. You can't fold QQ with 12xBB.

I don't agree with making a larger raise preflop. With 12xBB, a larger raise would look strange, as it would pot commit you.

zaxx19
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tough fold to make, but since your read is tight on him, you could possibly lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, if you were really bad and had no desire to win the tourney you could.

Or, you could simply push and get all in with the 3rd best hand in the game and 10BB.

Potowame
04-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I understand your read as tight from this player would make you worry about AA or KK But, you have to put your table image into this equation. You said you where stealing 2 times a orbit, so I would say your image is rather loose aggressive. I would say this opens the range of hands the RR could have.

I cant find a fold here, if he was lucky and finally got AA or KK before he blinded away, hum NH sir. PUSH!!!

betgo
04-10-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tough fold to make, but since your read is tight on him, you could possibly lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like to play heads up?

Chris Daddy Cool
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
push

unglee
04-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Normally, this would have been an easy push, but the villian was playing so tight that I think I overestimated his hand, so I just called (I know, horrible).

Anyway, the flop came KK4 rainbow, I thought a long time, checked, and folded to his all in (I was pretty certain he had AA at this point). He showed KQo, so I was actually drawing dead after the flop, but I then I instantly regretted my weak-ass decision to not reraise him all preflop.

He said he would have called an all-in preflop, and I believe him (I think he was getting tired of my stealing), in which case I would have been out of the tourney, but it doesn't matter--I'll take QQ vs KQ any day of the week.