PDA

View Full Version : nyc in the summer

oddjob
04-09-2005, 11:51 PM
i am contemplating moving to nyc. probably move there for a few months to see what i think. if i was to do this as soon as i can, it would be jun-aug.

the problem, i am a sweaty [censored]. i sweat when it's slightly warm, i sweat when i'm nervous or anxious. i sometimes sweat eating ice cream in a snowstorm. well you get the picture. it's usually all from my face and head too. it sucks. my pits or feet don't sweat the much. just the most embarrassing and noticeable place i could. yah, and i sweat even more cause i start getting anxiety cause i realize i'm going to start sweating. i live in denver, where it's very dry, and even though it gets hot in the summer, you can step into the shade and it feels much much cooler.

would it be hell for me to live there during the summer? i think i already know the answer.

if you have a similar affliction and live in nyc how the hell do you do it?

slickpoppa
04-09-2005, 11:54 PM
nyc can get very hot and VERY humid during the summer, but the women more than make up for it

istewart
04-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Nice description of your pits and feet.

oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nyc can get very hot and VERY humid during the summer, but the women more than make up for it

[/ QUOTE ]

there are hot women in denver, scantily clad for me to stare at. it'll be worthless to actually try to talk to them when i'm drenching in sweat.

oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice description of your pits and feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? i don't get it. i thought it was useful information, these being two other problem areas for people who sweat a lot. they are also less noticeable.

TimM
04-10-2005, 12:20 AM
In Denver you can step into the shade. In NYC you can step into an air-conditioned shop.

Bluffoon
04-10-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i am contemplating moving to nyc. probably move there for a few months to see what i think. if i was to do this as soon as i can, it would be jun-aug.

the problem, i am a sweaty [censored]. i sweat when it's slightly warm, i sweat when i'm nervous or anxious. i sometimes sweat eating ice cream in a snowstorm. well you get the picture. it's usually all from my face and head too. it sucks. my pits or feet don't sweat the much. just the most embarrassing and noticeable place i could. yah, and i sweat even more cause i start getting anxiety cause i realize i'm going to start sweating. i live in denver, where it's very dry, and even though it gets hot in the summer, you can step into the shade and it feels much much cooler.

would it be hell for me to live there during the summer? i think i already know the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many freaks in NYC that you could sweat kool aid and no one would notice unless they were thirsty. It is humid here in the summer but you can go from your front door to an air conditioned cab to wherever you want to go without being outside more than 2 minutes at a time and you can survive for months at a time without leaving your block if you needed to. It's pretty hectic though so if you are nervous guy you may have a breakdown.

sfer
04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
I saw a hugely obsese man (at least 300+ lbs) walk into the subway, sweating profusely, without a shirt on in the middle of last summer. He sat down, took his shoes off, and no one blinked. You'll fit in just fine.

istewart
04-10-2005, 12:38 AM
As long as you're not John Rocker's son or anything.

gamblore99
04-10-2005, 04:27 AM
You should see a doctor about that, I am pretty sure that is a medical condition of some sort that has treatment. I saw a commercial or poster for people with excessive sweating, I can't remember exactly what or where though.

InchoateHand
04-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Go the Berkshires. Its Luhvely that time of Yearh. You can go to Tanglewood. You can drive really, really, really slowly down Main St. in Great Barrington, and then not stop for the pedestrians on the cross walks, so that when you hit them, they don't get too hurt. You can clog up Rt. 41 so that the people who served you your mediocre Latte (NYC prices) and the douches who provided you with a smoked Gouda (How-da) and salmon pannini can't get home in time to their ever-shrinking apartments, since they are priced out of actually living in the area they work, and then you can talk about the country and be generally rude.

scrub
04-10-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC subway platforms in the summer are some of the sweatiest, most disgusting places in the world.

scrub

oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are so many freaks in NYC that you could sweat kool aid and no one would notice unless they were thirsty. It is humid here in the summer but you can go from your front door to an air conditioned cab to wherever you want to go without being outside more than 2 minutes at a time and you can survive for months at a time without leaving your block if you needed to. It's pretty hectic though so if you are nervous guy you may have a breakdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it is living here in denver where no one has air conditioning, that makes me forget there are places where everyone has air conditioning. this will definitly factor in my decision. something i forgot, thank you.

oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should see a doctor about that, I am pretty sure that is a medical condition of some sort that has treatment. I saw a commercial or poster for people with excessive sweating, I can't remember exactly what or where though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe it's called hyperhydrosis. unfortunately i am without health insurance right now, so i can't really get it check out. and from my research, there's surgery and that's about it.

oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go the Berkshires. Its Luhvely that time of Yearh. You can go to Tanglewood. You can drive really, really, really slowly down Main St. in Great Barrington, and then not stop for the pedestrians on the cross walks, so that when you hit them, they don't get too hurt. You can clog up Rt. 41 so that the people who served you your mediocre Latte (NYC prices) and the douches who provided you with a smoked Gouda (How-da) and salmon pannini can't get home in time to their ever-shrinking apartments, since they are priced out of actually living in the area they work, and then you can talk about the country and be generally rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to ask if you're retarded, but then i realized you probably wouldn't know if you were.

handsome
04-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I have the same problem with my hands. You shouldn't let your insecurity about sweating get in the way of doing something you wanna do. NYC is an expensive bitch so spend wisely

oddjob
04-10-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the same problem with my hands. You shouldn't let your insecurity about sweating get in the way of doing something you wanna do. NYC is an expensive bitch so spend wisely

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, the problem is i'm still up in the air about nyc. the idea of living there appeals to me. all the options and diversity. places to eat, museums, major cities that don't take a whole day to get to.

but as i get older i'm definitly not as tough as i was. when i was 24, getting my ass kicked in a city would have been a welcome challenge, now that i'm 30, i've grown accustomed to being able to eat out when i can. or buy [censored] that i want without emptying the bank account.

granted i think i can go back to living simple, but it's very easy here in denver. i haven't had a real job since last aug. (just freelancing) and i'm doing better then i was when i had a full time, and working less.

and if i do get my ass handed to me in nyc i don't really have family to fall back to (as in borrowing money to get by). i do have good friends in nyc, but i have a lot of good friends in denver. and subjecting someone to me living with them in the tiny places in nyc, is not something i really want to do.

so i'm trying to factor in everything i can think of in the decision to move. the heat and humidity is something that may bug me a lot. so i may just wait after the summer. though someone told me if i was going to exp. nyc i might as well find out how bad the summers get.

IndieMatty
04-10-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC subway platforms in the summer are some of the sweatiest, most disgusting places in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

turnipmonster
04-10-2005, 02:09 PM
everyone says how expensive nyc is but they overlook that you don't have to have a car and thus don't pay for gas, car insurance, repairs, car payments, etc. they also overlook that nyc residents generally have roommates and live in smaller places than elsewhere. yes, per square foot nyc has ridiculous rents but you're not going to be living in a 2k sq ft 2 bedroom either.

lots of people that don't make a lot of money live just fine in and around nyc, it seems like a lot of people overlook that.

--turnipmonster

Voltron87
04-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Also, NYC gets ridiculous when you have a family. So if you're single, you dodge a lot of the typically ludicrous expenses.

scrub
04-10-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone says how expensive nyc is but they overlook that you don't have to have a car and thus don't pay for gas, car insurance, repairs, car payments, etc. they also overlook that nyc residents generally have roommates and live in smaller places than elsewhere. yes, per square foot nyc has ridiculous rents but you're not going to be living in a 2k sq ft 2 bedroom either.

lots of people that don't make a lot of money live just fine in and around nyc, it seems like a lot of people overlook that.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but it comes at the cost of certain luxuries that people living in the rest of the country get to take for granted.

I think that a lot of people value temperature-stable living spaces and means of transportation highly. When scrubette lived in NYC, I realized that I'd have a hard time living in NYC without the money to pay for a comfortable apartment and taxis--there are days when living in a tiny 2-bedroom without air-conditioning or standing on a subway platform that's still a sauna at 11 pm is downright miserable.

scrub

oddjob
04-10-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, but it comes at the cost of certain luxuries that people living in the rest of the country get to take for granted.

I think that a lot of people value temperature-stable living spaces and means of transportation highly. When scrubette lived in NYC, I realized that I'd have a hard time living in NYC without the money to pay for a comfortable apartment and taxis--there are days when living in a tiny 2-bedroom without air-conditioning or standing on a subway platform that's still a sauna at 11 pm is downright miserable.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

if all were to go well, i'd be able to find a job in which i can live well (wouldn't make a ton of money) but enough to have a decent sized place in brooklyn (with a/c of course), by myself, keep my motorcycle and vespa, to get around and out of town, and do things i want to do. in other words not live like a college student or recent grad again.

the heat is a concern obviously, but i'm hoping it won't deter me from making an attempt.

InchoateHand
04-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Nope, no clue.