PDA

View Full Version : Its a shame the Angels won

Ryan_21
10-28-2002, 11:09 AM
I have nothing against them, but they turned Major League Baseball into a freakshow. Do we really need monkeys, salmons', and thundersticks in the crowd?

Come on, can,t we just play ball?

Ryan_21

imported_Chuck Weinstock
10-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Tell that to the Braves fans. This is a "feature" of baseball. When a team is going good it attracts all sorts of fans who don't normally go to the game and they need entertainment beyond baseball (they need to be part of the entertainment).

As a Pittsburgher it was "refreshing" to see this happen at least partially because Bonds clutched at the wrong moment. (Even though, unlike most Pittsburghers, I don't really have anything against Bonds.)

Chuck

Clarkmeister
10-28-2002, 11:53 AM
As opposed to rubber chickens and white towels?

Gimme a break. Since when are fans not allowed to have fun. Homer Hankies in Minnesota, tomahawk chops in Atlanta, this isn't new stuff. Lighten up.

Besides, Rally Monkey rules!

Phat Mack
10-28-2002, 12:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(Even though, unlike most Pittsburghers, I don't really have anything against Bonds.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I never had anything against him. But I never had a lot of respect for his abilities in the clutch either. I think that monkey may be off his back.

M2d
10-28-2002, 02:02 PM
for years, norCal radio people have blasted SoCal fans for being blase' about sports. Now that the Angel fans have shown how frenetic they can be, NorCal radio hosts have started saying that they are out of control and should tone it down. Make up your fricken minds already!!
I'll stop here, since going on will result in a 20 page essay on why NorCal Sports fans are the most hypocritical idiots on the planet.

10-28-2002, 02:32 PM
I couldn't agree more. Can you imagine how successful the A's would be if they were in a market like Baltimore or St. Louis? The Orioles sucked this year and they still had 30-40k fans show up for baseball games. The A's don't get 30k unless the Yankees come to town.

I don't have any strong feelings about the Giants but I sure did feel sorry for their fans after game 6.

M2d
10-28-2002, 03:06 PM
back in the candlestick days when the giants were drawing 14K fans a game, I used to hear fans rip on the dodger fans all the time. "they show up in the second inning and leave in the eighth". etc. by my calculations, 14K fans for nine innings is a lot less support than 45K fans for seven.
Also, I used to sit there and watch giant fans stream out of the ballyard in the seventh inning to "beat the traffic" out of the stick. sick. as a dodger fan second and a baseball fan first, I used to (when I was working nights) show up to day games early to beat traffic (and watch BP) and leave late to beat traffic. there are ways to be a fan and not sit in bumper to bumper traffic. People used to blame the poor attendance on the stick. well, dodger stadium is just as old as the Ballpark at Candlestick point (aka 3com, aka the Stick). Pacbell is nicer, true, and they draw more there, but that just means that a larger number of giant fans stream out early now.
It's tough being a dodger fan in Norcal, but it's oh so sweet at times like these. I've never been happier when team that I don't like (the angels) won a championship.

andyfox
10-28-2002, 04:59 PM
1) For a guy who can't hit, J.T. Snow was brilliant, perhaps the toughest out of anyone (well, almost anyone). And what a great fielder!

2) Poignant moment: Dusty Baker carrying his son from the dugout with tears streaming down the boy's face. I'm 46 years older than the kid, but it still hurt just as much when my team lost game 7 last year.

3) Why would anyone in their right mind send Tom Goodwin up to pinch hit for anybody?

4) I keep hearing how great a fielder Barry Bonds is. No doubt he was at one time, but he sure didn't look very good in the Series. Also, I was taught to not look at the ball when you run to first on a ground ball. If he'd just look like he was putting out a bit more effort when on the basepaths or in the field, people might like him a little better.

John Cole
10-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Andy,

Re: point 4.

I was amused watching the broadcasters show a replay of one ball hit to Bonds and twice hearing how the ball "sailed" on him. After spending this season watching balls "sail" on Rickey Henderson and Manny Ramirez in left, I am relieved to know that they, too, are not simply lousy fielders.

John

HDPM
10-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Did my favorite announcer say the same thing over and over? The 2 minutes I tuned in I heard McCarver analyze how a ball hit the heel of someone's glove. I mean he kept saying it like it was important. Diving catch attempt, guy misses, ball off heel of glove. Goes for a hit. McCarver starts just harping on it. "See there it hit the heel of his glove. It hit the heel. It's hard to catch a ball in the heel of the glove because it's not designed that way. The ball bounced off the heel of the glove where you can't catch it. There's no flex there so it bounced off the heel. Here's the replay of the ball bouncing off the heel of the glove. See, it just bounced off the heel of the glove." Aaaaaaaaagh SHUT UP. I don't know if I could watch a series between the '27 Yankees and '08 Cubs with McCarver at the mike. I sure didn't watch this one. Call me a heretic, but it is insufferable. Some is me losing interest, but I didn't even make any effort.

M2d
10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Which is why we should have a constitutional amendment installing Vin Scully and (maybe) Joe Morgan as the only announcers in the World Series.

10-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Yo Tupac, didn't San Fran have the stupid thunder sticks also, and would you rather have all teams implementing daycare facilities in their dugouts. Your team lost and just like you are a loser.

andyfox
10-28-2002, 08:04 PM
My favorite was that both Buck and McCarver agreed the Giants had to get on top to get their "momentum" back. Huh? They got on top, so what? If Livan has nothing, like he did, momentum means nothing.

Ryan_21
10-29-2002, 01:44 PM
"Your team lost and just like you are a loser."

Thank you for your all knowing insight, but contrary to your beleive SF isnt my team. I dont even like baseball very much. And now that there are monkeys running around in the crowds and strikes gallore, I dont think I'll ever watch very much Baseball again.

Ryan_21

P.S. I f'd your wife you fat MF.