PDA

View Full Version : Tucking in your shirt

fluxrad
04-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know how this actually got started?

One of the managers here at my local "place of employment" has been giving me crap for not tucking in my polo (complete with company logo). I generally don't do it because I'm lazy, but lately have started to because he's given me so much crap about it.

So a few days ago I'm checking myself out in the mirror and I got to thinking...who the hell decided "the thing" was to tuck the shirt into the pants? What are the origins of this mysterious practice and why is it considered more professional?

A co-worker said he believed it was from medieval times, but I haven't found anything on it. Personally, I didn't even realize it was King Arthur who started business casual Friday.

Also...next time this manager gives me crap about it, should I just tell him I have my pants tucked into my shirt?

Chairman Wood
04-09-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So a few days ago I'm checking myself out in the mirror and I got to thinking...who the hell decided "the thing" was to tuck the shirt into the pants? What are the origins of this mysterious practice and why is it considered more professional?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know but I've had similar thoughts about ties. They are ridiculouts when you think about it. This long thing that hangs from your neck, serves no purpose other than to get snagged on things and get yourself choked to death.
[ QUOTE ]
Also...next time this manager gives me crap about it, should I just tell him I have my pants tucked into my shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, unless you would like to lose your job.

Lazymeatball
04-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I heard at one point in time people used to have these really long shirts that they would tuck in and wrap around themselves instead of wearing actual underwear.

Also, tucking in your shirt looks good when you are wearing a suit like a tuxedo or something. Polo shirts have sort of evolved from the more traditional formal wear, and tucking the shirt in is some sort of dweeb holdover.

LAGmaniac
04-09-2005, 08:05 PM
All long as he lets you pop your collar I don't see what the problem is.

Macdaddy Warsaw
04-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I would either guess the army or the tunic, a tunic being one of the longer shirts which you might wear a belt around and no pants underneath. Just some (uneducated) guesses.

TStoneMBD
04-09-2005, 08:25 PM
i never tuck in my shirt. you can see my jelly roll when i do. if i have my shirt untucked, and i wear one of my nice jackets, i look more muscular than i do obese.

another good tip is that if you have to wear a white dress shirt, make sure to wear an undershirt with it, otherwise your flabby manboobs are easily viewable.

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:31 PM
When I worked at OfficeMax during high school, the store manager would always rib me about it, but he didn't really care as long as I did a good job. The other managers didn't give a [censored].

gumpzilla
04-09-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that it is probably the same reason why a belt is a standard piece of dress wear for men even when thoroughly unnecessary. My guess is that it helps make the waistline look a little more defined, giving you a better shape. If you are lacking a waistline, then this doesn't apply so much.

James282
04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know but I've had similar thoughts about ties. They are ridiculouts when you think about it. This long thing that hangs from your neck, serves no purpose other than to get snagged on things and get yourself choked to death.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RE: ties.

They started as a royal family tradition in old England or someplace similar because the royal family was all inbred, and one of the unfortunate results of some of their recessive genes was that they started drooling a lot. Thus, they started wearing bibs while they ate. The nobility in the area started adopting this as fashion for "nice meals," and over time the style became thinner and thinner. The peasants started copying off of the nobility and the modern day tie was born. This is at least what I heard or read someplace, and it makes sense, so I figure I'll pass it on. Could just be urban legened though, who knows.
-James

tbach24
04-09-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They started as a royal family tradition in old England or someplace similar because the royal family was all inbred, and one of the unfortunate results of some of their recessive genes was that they started drooling a lot. Thus, they started wearing bibs while they ate. The nobility in the area started adopting this as fashion for "nice meals," and over time the style became thinner and thinner. The peasants started copying off of the nobility and the modern day tie was born. This is at least what I heard or read someplace, and it makes sense, so I figure I'll pass it on. Could just be urban legened though, who knows.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Are West Virginians big tie-wearers then?

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Are West Virginians big tie-wearers then?

[/ QUOTE ]

The unemployment rate is very high in West Virginia.

Many of them don't have jobs to wear ties to anyway.

DavidC
04-09-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how this actually got started?

One of the managers here at my local "place of employment" has been giving me crap for not tucking in my polo (complete with company logo). I generally don't do it because I'm lazy, but lately have started to because he's given me so much crap about it.

A co-worker said he believed it was from medieval times, but I haven't found anything on it. Personally, I didn't even realize it was King Arthur who started business casual Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, when you wear a belt, but don't tuck in your shirt, it looks like you've got perma-wood, and therefore the tradition to tuck in our shirts ,so that people can observe that it's just a belt.

The belts disappeared, but the tucking remained... go figure.

---

With straight lines, it just looks better.

DrPublo
04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I thought it was just to hide the buttons on your shirt?

The Doc

GuyOnTilt
04-09-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're talking about. I always wear a belt. I feel really weird if I'm ever not wearing one. Not everybody else feels the same way and that's fine, but if they're tucking in their shirt and don't have a belt on, that's retarded.

GoT

gamblore99
04-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Unless its like a suit or a tux, tucking is stupid. I hate tucking. (tucking undershirts doesn't count)

PoBoy321
04-10-2005, 12:51 AM
If you're wearing anything other than a t-shirt, leaving your shirt untucked just makes you look messy. Granted, there are times when this is ok, like at a bar or something, but if you're in a "place of employment," it is, and should be, expected that you tuck your shirt in.

PoBoy321
04-10-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was just to hide the buttons on your shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a lot of sense, considering that the whole "inbred royal family" story is just ridiculous. Granted, there was a lot of inbreeding throughout all of the royal families of Europe, but that didn't mean that genetic defects were so common that everyone started wearing bibs to catch their drool.

Chairman Wood
04-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Thank you, I at least have an explanation that makes sense now.

gamblore99
04-10-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're wearing anything other than a t-shirt, leaving your shirt untucked just makes you look messy. Granted, there are times when this is ok, like at a bar or something, but if you're in a "place of employment," it is, and should be, expected that you tuck your shirt in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do serious businesses actually make you tuck? I used to work at red lobster like 2 years ago and they made me tuck. All the staff thought it was stupid, but we were kids. I would expect that at a serious place of work, tuck/untuck would be a matter of preference (tucking being the wrong preference).

fluxrad
04-10-2005, 02:25 AM
No. most places don't make you tuck, but sometimes you can be ostracized for not dressing "appropriately."

Then again, I'm a techie so pretty much anything goes. Some days I wear a t-shirt, jeans, and a hat to work.

shant
04-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Tucking your shirt in is mad gay.

jakethebake
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
What the hell is wrong with you people? Yes, ties are stupid. I think they symbolize your servitude to your corporate employer or something. But who the hell over the age of 11 doesn't tuck in a polo?

DavidC
04-10-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're talking about. I always wear a belt. I feel really weird if I'm ever not wearing one. Not everybody else feels the same way and that's fine, but if they're tucking in their shirt and don't have a belt on, that's retarded.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

*looks down*

Hey, what are you trying to say, man? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

miajag81
04-10-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is wrong with you people? Yes, ties are stupid. I think they symbolize your servitude to your corporate employer or something. But who the hell over the age of 11 doesn't tuck in a polo?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the setting/situation. I wear untucked polos to school all the time. If I'm going out to dinner or something I'll tuck it in.

siccjay
04-10-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell under the age of 30 does tuck in a polo?