PDA

View Full Version : worst problem with new forum software

10-28-2002, 08:29 AM
Yeah, the screen's too busy, the child posts aren't indented enough, and so on. But the biggest problem, is that people who post responses can't see how many views their responses get.

Everybody who posts something wants it to be read, they presumably gain some sort of bizarre utility from other people sharing their thoughts. And the way a forum perpetuates, is by participants getting better and better at fulfilling their own needs, by posting things other people will want to read.

An important way they learn this lesson, and get better as contributors, is by patterns of thread view tallies, based on headlines, and the quality of recent posts. If a guy's reponse views are 10, 40, 80, on a series of responses, he knows he is on the right track, and is getting repeat customers.

Which is the objective.

eLROY

Homer
10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Flat mode is way better than threaded. You don't have to click on each response that way. No one reads my posts anyway, so i don't really need a counter...

-- HoJu

10-28-2002, 01:43 PM
If poker ever falls out of vogue, Mason can make a living as an ergonomic forum-design consultant. Heck, who among us has hesitated to reveal his most cleverest obscurist foruming insights? And for free no less!

Yeah, yeah, I know, everyone's an expert in the forum business...

eLROY

Ray Zee
10-28-2002, 09:35 PM
elroy my boy, its about time you registered so you can use flat mode and all the other features. then next time i see you in frisco i will shake your hand.

eLROY
10-28-2002, 10:13 PM
If you don't take Ray Zee's advice, you might as well kill yourself.

eLROY

P.S. I just remembered why I didn't register. It used to be kind of fun when other people would post under the name eLROY. Oh well...

Ray Zee
10-29-2002, 01:30 AM
" If you don't take Ray Zee's advice, you might as well kill yourself."

eLROY
i always wanted to say that myself but didnt have the nerve.

p.s. it also used to be fun when you wore a different mask.

10-29-2002, 01:57 AM
Well, it's looks kinda close. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Tommy Angelo
11-03-2002, 08:45 PM
"But the biggest problem, is that people who post responses can't see how many views their responses get."

I'm forced to disagree because I think the biggest problem is there's too many numbers already. I enter a writer's forum and what do I see? Columns of numbers. I think if it was prettier and wordier I'd come more often. The blue thing doesn't get it for me. Is there something better?

Tommy

Clarkmeister
11-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Tommy,

I like the "wild" font quite a bit. Check it out, you might like it. There is also a "wild large" font if the standard wild is too small for your taste.