PDA

View Full Version : Socializing and Meeting New People

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I like socializing with people I like a lot, and hanging out with friends but I don't like meeting new people. For instnace when I'm in an airplane and it looks like someone is about to make conversation with me my first though is "how can i avoid this impending conversation?" closing my eyes, opening my book and going for a little walk (probably to bathroom) are all among the most likely options. if i am in a conversation then what i'm thinking is "what is the quickest way to get out of this conversation?".

How about you all?

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I think you'll be happier if you change. Learn to ditch the conversations that suck.

Airplanes are great, as are smoking lounges. I meet some really cool people with fascinatingly diverse lives.

Sponger15SB
04-09-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like socializing with people I like a lot, and hanging out with friends but I don't like meeting new people.

How about you all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup that sounds about right.

pshreck
04-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, its more like it makes you uncomfortable to meet someone new. You would be out of your element for at least the initial meeting. This seems really natural, but you should probably get over it eventually. Not meaning change your whole lifestyle, but try not to look at new conversations as something horrible. They have the potential to be something really good.

[censored]
04-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I actually prefer random throw away conversations like the airplane example to construed get togethers like parties where I know a bunch of people but actually like very few. I tend to aviod situations like that.

For some reason I enjoy short conversations with people I don't know especially if they are with old people.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm with you. I would much rather random conversations with new faces, than the same old conversations with the same old faces (unless we are reasonably close, have good conversations, etc).

ThaSaltCracka
04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
How are you ever going to mack on a chick if you don't like talking to people you don't know?

bugstud
04-09-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How are you ever going to mack on a guy if you don't like talking to people you don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

lucas9000
04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like socializing with people I like a lot, and hanging out with friends but I don't like meeting new people. For instnace when I'm in an airplane and it looks like someone is about to make conversation with me my first though is "how can i avoid this impending conversation?" closing my eyes, opening my book and going for a little walk (probably to bathroom) are all among the most likely options. if i am in a conversation then what i'm thinking is "what is the quickest way to get out of this conversation?".

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a good way to end up spending the rest of your life in hot tubs with a bunch of dudes.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 06:16 PM
That was only funny when the /B was still in it. Nice edit.

Jurollo
04-09-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How are you ever going to mack on a guy if you don't like talking to people you don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

NH!
~Justin

bholdr
04-09-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How are you ever going to mack on a chick if you don't like talking to people you don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

how are YOU ever going to "mack a chick" using slang like that? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kidding man- you're right- people are what makes life interesting. i make a point to try to meet as many new people ('chicks', mostly) as possible.

I geuss i'm that guy on the airplane...

istewart
04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Using "mack" is -EV.

bicyclekick
04-09-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a good way to end up spending the rest of your life in hot tubs with a bunch of dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Owned.

istewart
04-09-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

bugstud
04-09-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was only funny when the /B was still in it. Nice edit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I aim to please

IndieMatty
04-09-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTWE

(weekend)

ThaSaltCracka
04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Using "mack" is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]having some random douche bag for your avatar is -EV.

bholdr
04-09-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!
nh.

Boris
04-09-2005, 06:51 PM
godmn bruiser. you are hands down the most anti-social person in OOT. You never shower; you never talk to people; and you can't stand the thought of leaving the house to go see a flick. you will make a great online pro.

Matty
04-09-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm usually the same way. Always keeping headphones on is a good way to avoid all those stupid people out there.

JaBlue
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
i know somebody that walks around SF with headphones leading to no audio device. i am social though.

MicroBob
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm either in a good mood and am REALLY social....(usually evenings)

or I'm cranky and I just want the whole world to leave me the f'ck alone (usually mornings/afternoons)

It also is very related to my recent caffeine intake.

I think my extremes on my socialability are far greater than anyone I have ever met.

Friends of mine would quickly concur with me on this.
It's almost to a bi-polar type of extreme with me.

jakethebake
04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
What? People on an Internet poker forum don't like getting out and meeting new people? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

partygirluk
04-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I am an unsocial guy, but I enjoy airline conversations. You can meet some really interesting people that you wouldn't in your every day life, and you don't have to talk for so long that the conversation gets boring, even if you actually have little in common. If they are a hot girl, this increases the incentive for conversation, and if they are not a hot girl, they might know some hot girls.

Maybe you find it easy to make really good friends, but in the more likely case that you don't, it becomes even more worthwhile. The number of people that you will make a genuinely deep, lifelong friendship/relationship with are so small, but so important, that it is worth giving most people a whirl. Also keep in mind that to progress in life who you know is probably more important than what you know. I have had the most amazing things happen to me just because I explored a relationship that I had no pressing reason to, one of my closest friends is mates with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - it hasn't come in useful yet, but it might do some time in the future. Basically, initiating a conversation has little downside, with potentially massive upside. As a poker player, you shouldn't be so scared of that gamble.

razor
04-09-2005, 07:17 PM
While I agree in principle with those advocating being more sociable and the like... I'm pretty much the same as Bruiser.

I find that most people and what they have to say are not interesting to me and having conversations in these situations very draining. I wish it weren't so...

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 08:12 PM
what are you guys all talking about, attractive girls? there aren't that many attractive girls around, especially so on airplanes. there are about 2 a flight and never sitting next to me.

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
godmn bruiser. you are hands down the most anti-social person in OOT. You never shower; you never talk to people; and you can't stand the thought of leaving the house to go see a flick. you will make a great online pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i always shower more than everyone i know (maybe i brush my teeth a little less), once i get into a good convo i like it it's just as someone said the same questions and conversations over and over again boring is "draining" perfect word for it. i love going to the theatre even if the movie isn't that good.

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 08:15 PM
microbob i am the same as you, when i'm in a good mood i really like socializing with everyone even if they are bad people it is just so easy and natural to make conversation then and fun.

Kaz The Original
04-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I talk to random strangers all the time, and I enjoy it seriously. When talking to people I know, I usually say crazy [censored] to keep it interesting. Normal bores me.

Jazza
04-09-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like socializing with people I like a lot, and hanging out with friends but I don't like meeting new people.

How about you all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup that sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

count me in too, it's just too boring, come to think of it i cannot remember a single conversation i have enjoyed with some one who i just met, i have to know some one at least a little first to enjoy there company

Popinjay
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i always shower more than everyone i know (maybe i brush my teeth a little less), once i get into a good convo i like it it's just as someone said the same questions and conversations over and over again boring is "draining" perfect word for it. i love going to the theatre even if the movie isn't that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you just find a way to make otherwise boring conversations interesting. tell them you are a world class snake trainer and snuck a baby on the plane with you so you could take care of it better, but say you can't find it. that should be good for some fun.

TStoneMBD
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
great post. this gives me alot to think about quite frankly.

im pretty anti-social to be quite honest. i hate meeting new people and i am more entertained being by myself than with someone i dont know, except that its quite obvious i need friends in order to hang out at places without being the alone dude.

conversations bore me, because most people are thoughtless. they like to talk about sports or hot chicks in monkey fashion. im not entertained when a dude points out a really hot chick and likes to talk about his past experiences with women or whatever. yah she may be really hot and i might want to bang her, but i dont feel the need to share it with some other guy.

my point is, im far more interested in holding an intelligent conversation in which i have the potential to learn something, or find something out about myself than discussing small talk. most people are not interested in having profound conversations, and therefore its hard for me to meet people.

i would much rather go over to a friends house and play chess for a couple of hours than to go out and play some pool if you exclude potential getting laid factor. getting out of the house is important, but i enjoy participating in things that are likely to mentally stimulate me.

call me weird and a mega-nerd, but thats who i am.

thanks pguk. my outlook on socializing is pretty -ev if you equate it to poker terminology.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I talk to random strangers all the time, and I enjoy it seriously. When talking to people I know, I usually say crazy [censored] to keep it interesting. Normal bores me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that all the time too, with strangers too. It usually wakes people up and they get a kick out of it. Once you get a laugh out of them, you've broken the ice and are maybe a little on their good side, because they're so grateful somebody broke it. It's kind of like they can loosen their belts and let it all hang out, as long as someone else does it first.

JaBlue
04-10-2005, 01:19 AM
TStoneMBD I think you will find that even if you make friends with complete idiots you will have a much better time than you would have alone.

I am with you that I am not a big fan of chit chat or meaningless drivel, but if you choose the right dumb friends, the quality of your life will improve drastically. You'll just have a lot more fun. That's all there is to it.

razor
04-10-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TStoneMBD I think you will find that even if you make friends with complete idiots you will have a much better time than you would have alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for TStoneMDB, but in my earlier post in this thread I talked about certain situations being 'very draining' . I use these words for a reason. Obviously this is not the case for everyone, but for me making friends with a 'complete idiot' would definitely not be a 'much better time' than being alone. Of course I enjoy spending time with friends, but spending time with people with who I don't have some sort of 'connection' drains a lot of energy and in that situation being alone is better.

zaxx19
04-10-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually the same way. Always keeping headphones on is a good way to avoid all those stupid people out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is not a suprise at all.........