PDA

View Full Version : movie theatres suck right now

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 05:44 PM
are there any good movies out right now? no not really. well maybe a little there is sin city but that is it in main stream theatres one good movie out of 15 shitty ones. then there is born into brothels which looks v. good but is only play in about 15 theathres in the country and upside of anger which andy fox suggested a while ago. overall it is pretty lame.

pshreck
04-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people (even many on this board) go to movies just for the sake of going to the movies. I wait for flicks that look relatively good, and hence I am not often at the theater.

I mean... a bunch of you paid money to go see Be Cool, and Fever Pitch. I don't get it.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 05:53 PM
By the Way---Born into Brothels was a huge, huge [censored] let-down. The women who made it took a fascinating, piercing, potentially very powerful premise, and slowly murdered it. Eventually we were left watching a movie about HER, not about the kids, about what SHE was doing, how HARD SHE was working, etc. etc. etc.

It was a big disappointment.

pshreck
04-09-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the Way---Born into Brothels was a huge, huge [censored] let-down. The women who made it took a fascinating, piercing, potentially very powerful premise, and slowly murdered it. Eventually we were left watching a movie about HER, not about the kids, about what SHE was doing, how HARD SHE was working, etc. etc. etc.

It was a big disappointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

87 out of 91 reviews (by professional movie reviewers) said this movie was very good. 96% on rotten tomatoes, the highest I have seen in years.

Not to say you cant have your own opinion, just giving other posters reason to still see it in case they were turned off it by your post.

theBruiser500
damn that sucks inchoatehead. btw, i don't even know what good movies are coming out that i shoudl look forward to. although i've noticed that i don't even know about the good movies before they come out they don't get publicity like the really shitty movies do.

fluxrad
that's why i don't go to movies anymore. then again, i don't particularly enjoy spending $10 to see advertisements and listen to "I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW! I'M WATCHING A MOVIE! I'LL CALL YOU BACK LATER!!!"

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 05:58 PM
It is difficult to criticize this movie for the same reasons it was hard to publicly criticize Schindler's List, which was also a greatly overrated film.

Born into Brothels starts by showing lots of stills from the camera's of the kids. Gradually it shifts to the woman belching into her cell-phone about how hard it is to find them schools. By all means, go see it for yourself, but I reserve my greatest disappointment for things with the most promise, and this is one of them.

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 05:58 PM
yeah but watching a good movie is great.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I mean, I love watching even a mediocre movie, as long my expectations are low enough. There is something different about the theatre that is worth the loot to me. But yeah, right now is a dry patch.

Bill Murphy
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
..the theatres themselves are quite nice. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm one who often goes to movies just to go, and other than Sin City & a couple of "independents" the last 2-3 months has been as bad as I can remember. I point blank absolutely refuse to go to stuff like BCool, FPitch, or Pacifier; won't even sneak in. Rather hang at the bookstore.

See if you can find a showing of the documentary "Inside Deep Throat". Very good.

fluxrad
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Beh...it's not worth it for the expense. Personally, I just don't miss it any more. Get yourself a decent TV (Mine's just a 27" Trinitron), a good receiver/speaker setup, some popcorn, and a crying baby and you can pretty much simulate the movie-going experience right in the comfort of your own home.

Sponger15SB
04-09-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then again, i don't particularly enjoy spending $10 to see advertisements and listen to "I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW! I'M WATCHING A MOVIE! I'LL CALL YOU BACK LATER!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

"HELLO? WHAT? I'M AT A RECITAL....YEAH I'LL CALL YOU BACK"

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/triggerhappytv/video_stills/photos_sized/103b_pic.jpg

Sponger15SB
04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Seriously though, you sound not only like a total nit, but a miserable person.

Do you really get that bothered by something like that?

I for one enjoy spending a ton of money to hang out with my girlfriend and friends and eat popcorn and drink sodas and watch movies and stuff.

fluxrad
04-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm guessing you were replying to me.

Idunno - we all have our dumb expenses. I spend way too much at bars, that's where I like to go with my friends rather than theaters. Personally, I stopped going when they started doing advertisements before the movies for generic products. Top that off with the fact that they now have those anti-piracy ads and I just don't particularly feel like supporting that market any more.

Moreover, it's just significantly cheaper to buy the movies. I just picked up Sideways yesterday for $15. That's a lot less than I would have spent to take my girlfriend to the theater to see it.

I'm sure it does sound like I'm a total nit, but it's the combined effect of all the problems I have with theater-going that have basically stopped me from going, i.e. obnoxious patrons, cell phones, overpriced concessions, ads for a movie I just paid to get into, and those anti-piracy ads which stop just short of calling people thieves outright.

theBruiser500
04-10-2005, 12:38 AM
i also don't hate buying food or drinks at the movie theatre on principle, it pisses me off paying $5 for a coke.

Dead
04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Guess Who? was a good flick.

I don't care what the haters on here say.

tbach24
04-10-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm forced to go out with my school on every Saturday afternoon and we usually go to the movies. I get to go for free so I don't mind, but it's still -EV because I can't make up for the stupidity I'm gaining by being around those people and the fact taht I can't play poker. However, I will say that I've seen a bunch of movies and I only liked 3. Sin City, Coach Carter, and Incredibles. I saw Sin City again today and was somewhat disappointed as I feel there wasn't much to catch in the 2nd viewing despite another look at Jessica Alba and Rosario Dawson. So basically I'm like 3/15 on viewings of movies.