PDA

View Full Version : Can I lose less on this hand?

GooperMC
04-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Party Poker (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.</font>

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#666666">SB checks, BB checks, MP2 Bets, Hero raises, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 3 bets. Hero calls.</font>

Turn: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#666666">MP2 Bets, Hero raises, MP2 3 bets, Hero caps.</font>

River: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#666666">MP2 Bets, Hero raises, MP2 3 bets, Hero calls.</font>

Final Pot:
<font color="#666666">MP2 Wins $19 with a full house, Jacks full of nines.</font>

I think that overall this is a horrible situation for me in which I am going to lose money, but I think that I could have slowed the bleeding a little.

Specific Questions
1) Who caps the flop? I called because I wanted him to bet into me on the turn. I was sure that he had a 9 and he had been playing very LA.
2) I really don't like the cap on the turn. Everyone just call here?
3) River, anyone not 2 bet here?

It is a little bit strange to have my hand improve on the river and to realize that the river was a very bad card for me.

mosquito
04-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Fold preflop.

Well, it's a tough hand. After the river only JJ and
QQ beat you. Don't feel bad. The play atherwise is
only debatable for 1 or 2 bets, at most.

Buzz
04-09-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I lose less on this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gooper - For sure.

A re-raise from an opponent with anything but 9XXX on the second betting round is bizarre. Therefore, I think you should assume your opponent holds a nine for the re-raise on the second betting round. If that is the case, roughly 95% of the possible two-card combinations yet to come are potentially scary for you.

I think you call the re-raise on the second betting round, planning to probably bet if your opponent checks the turn and planning to call if your opponent bets (maybe even if the turn is the case nine).

On the third betting round, I think you have a call, but no raise. Your opponent may have 9JXX, or JJXX. Considering the action on the second betting round, JJXX, unless as JJQQ, JJKK, JJAA, or JJ92, seems far fetched but not impossible.

Most likely for a reasonable opponent at this point is 9JXX with 92XX (same as you) a close second.

Therefore a raise with your hand on the fourth betting round would be very tempting. But then after the re-raise, I think you back off, just as you did.

[ QUOTE ]
Specific Questions
1) Who caps the flop? I called because I wanted him to bet into me on the turn. I was sure that he had a 9 and he had been playing very LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The call is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I really don't like the cap on the turn. Everyone just call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you should like your raise on the turn, let alone the cap. (Just my opinion).

[ QUOTE ]
3) River, anyone not 2 bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd two bet the river, and then call the raise, just as you did.

Buzz

GooperMC
04-10-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you call the re-raise on the second betting round, planning to probably bet if your opponent checks the turn and planning to call if your opponent bets

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually flat called the flop to make it look like I was trying to steal so that he would bet into me on the turn and I could raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should like your raise on the turn, let alone the cap. (Just my opinion).

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that everyone will agree that he has the other 9 after the flop, so he only has 9 outs to make a larger boat on the turn. That means that J will only help him 1 in 5 times. Couple that with the fact that my flop call should induce a bet with any 9, I can’t see how the raise will be -EV in the long run. I will be the first to admit that the cap is just plain reckless and I am slightly embarrassed by it. Playing 4 tables does have some drawbacks /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

GooperMC
04-10-2005, 02:20 AM
I am a converted PLO8 player and I am learning that 1 or 2 BB can really add up. The cap on the turn is definitely a mistake. Where else do you think I can save a BB?

eh923
04-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Gooper,

The advice is pretty solid from the other posters. But, I was surpised after all that action that the final pot was only $19. At those stakes, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone with 22xx or 92xx just killing the pot. So, at the level you were playing, I think your play was just fine.

eh923

Beavis68
04-10-2005, 02:50 PM
What the heck was he 3-betting the flop with?

GooperMC
04-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess that wasn't very clear in the original post. He had Jc, As, Jd, 9d.

chaos
04-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I am not familiar with how these very low limit online games play. That said in a typical game I play, I would back off after the J turns. You no longer have the nuts. I would not necessarily give my opponent JJ, but a hand like AJ9x where the unknown card is a K, Q, T or 2 seems like a reasonable possibility based on his play.

The river improves your hand and you can now beat J9, so I think your raise and calling his reraise is fine.

GooperMC
04-11-2005, 02:17 AM
My opponent was very agressive and not very good so I think that he would have lead the turn without the J. However I don't think that he would 3 bet without that J which is why I think the turn raise is fine but I don't like the cap.

Yads
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do hope you're joking.
To the OP I think you can save a bet on the turn by just calling his 3 bet.