PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Hand Played Passively?

beset7
04-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Decided to try and learn to play Stud8. I know this starting hand is bad news but I played it anyways. On fifth I just wanted to play a small pot since it looked like we were both playing for just the high. Do you EVER play hands like this on third if you know you can see 4th for the bring-in in stud8?

On a side note, is the 3/6 stud8 at PP always crazy-bad? I had like four people basically donate their buy-ins to me over the next hour and I suck.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

Seat 1: ($217.75)
Seat 2: ($53)
Seat 3: ($149)
Seat 4: ($153.75)
Seat 5: ($0)
Seat 6: ($180.25)
Seat 7: ($150.5)
Hero: ($206.5)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in
Hero: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls

4th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Hero: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls

5th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Hero: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls

6th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Hero: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

River

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___checks___calls
Hero: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets

Andy B
04-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Get Ray Zee's book.

Bill Murphy is an intelligent guy who knows a little about this game. He has a confessed weakness for hands like this. It's a dog. Ray Zee has fifteen hand categories in his book, several of which you should almost never play. This hand doesn't make the list, so I guess that makes it a group 16 hand at best. I can almost see limping in late with a hand like this. Calling first in with it is way too loose, in my humble opinion.

Having limped in, you caught about as good as you could have hoped to. You're looking at J8o and the bring-in. What the hell are you scared of? Bet your damned hand already. Bet fifth while you're at it.

When the other guy makes an open pair and bets into you, you can only call. You should have lots of outs. Good value bet on the river.

beset7
04-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks Andy. More or less as I expected I just needed a reality check. 4th and 5th should have been played more aggressively, I was just skittish of getting tied to a big pot. I guess one of the morals of the story is if you're not so good at playing lousy starting hands then they should go in the muck on 3rd.