PDA

View Full Version : How good is "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players"?

AdvancedPlaya
04-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I need comments on this. Thinking of buying it. How good is it? Is it a classic "must-have," or is it just a "regualar joe" book that you can do fine without. Is it for no-limit players as well? Or only tight, cash, games? Gracias.

allintuit
04-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I find it is a thourough, well-written analysis of many cash games, but not as useful for no-limit.

trying2learn
04-09-2005, 05:40 PM
it's easily one of the most important books on the market, period. however, i would start with theory of poker first and then go to that one...just my opinion. if you're ONLY interested in hold 'em...TOP covers other games as well that may lose your interest...FWIW.

the alex
04-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Of course, it's not really useful for NL. It specifies in the beginning that it is meant to be used for $10/$20 to $40/$80 limit games, I believe. The concepts are indeed general limit concepts as poker is poker and it covers switching your game to the game being played such as loose tables, aggressive tables, and vice versa very well.

The shorthanded play discussion is superb to say the least, but if you're a LL player. 10/20 or less B&M or 3/6 and less online, Small Stakes Hold 'em by Ed Miller with heavy contributions from Sklansky and Malmuth. For NL play, I'd suggest Championship Pot-Limit and No-Limit Hold 'em by Cloutier/McEnvoy and No-Limit Texas Hold 'em by Daugherty/McEnvoy.

PokrLikeItsProse
04-11-2005, 12:02 AM
It is a very good book. It is best suited to games it describes as typical and I think the authors have biases towards preferring to play in certain types of games, so their typical game may not be your typical game. It does state that you have to adjust to non-typical games, but the ways a game can deviate are myriad. To a certain extent, it's not clearly explained how to handle non-archetypal games, but it does give you the knowledge to make adjustments if you can process information and not accept the book as a simple how-to manual. And if you can't make adjustments, you don't deserve to make money at poker.

grimel
04-11-2005, 12:21 AM
If you read the fwd for "Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play" you will learn Advanced is for the "typical" tight game of old. SSH is written for the loose games brought to you by internet poker and ESPN.

In MY opinion buy SSH first. Get Advanced when you get near the 10/20 level or understand SSH. I bought them backwards and regret it.

Nicmavsfan28
04-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Who wrote it is the key element here. Is it someone you have seen on television? Have they accomplished anything other than convincing a publisher to spread their work? And possibly most important, does the author write about Theory and Fact (Sklansky, Brunson) or do they glorify themselves to satisfy their egos? (Helmuth) Some argue in favor of choosing an author who fits their style, and while this may be a good starting point-I say be adaptable and that means learning what everyone has to say. As far as deciding what is BS and what isnt...good luck wading through the crud, and bring your boots. <font color="blue"> </font>