PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 20-40: An unimproved KJ on an Ace-high flop

Dynasty
10-28-2002, 05:37 AM
The game is 3-handed. This hand is against the same two opponents described in the post below- Ben and Kevin.

The hand:

Ben folds on the button. I raise in the small blind with KsJc. Kevin, a young super-aggressive player, 3-bets in his big blind. I call.

The flop is: Ac,7h,3d

I check. Kevin bets.

What's your assesment of the situation? And, how do you want to proceed?

Ikke
10-28-2002, 07:12 AM
Tough one. You lost momemtum preflop and are now facing a Ahigh board, where a preflop 3-bet often indicates an ace. It would help if you know Kevin's range of 3-betting hands, but that might be too much to ask for. A tough situation, but I would fold. I would be too soon calling turn and river as well. And that seems a no-no.

Regards

Clarkmeister
10-28-2002, 04:00 PM
I think the chances that you are in the lead are likely pretty small. I'd guess about 20% given your description. You could be drawing dead to runner runner some of the time, and have 6 outs some of the time. Its close. 7-1 on your call and 14 turn cards improve your hand. I'd likely take one off and fold if he bets and I do not pick up a gutshot or a pair. Oddly enough with KQ I am inclined to call here more than with KJ.

I also would have considered betting.

This is an example of why it is important to wait until the turn headsup, so he is at least a little afraid of a checkraise on that street and won't auto bet the turn.

good hand.

J_V
10-29-2002, 05:56 AM
Capping preflop is an interesting play. I have toyed around with it. I often use it as a preflop free card play.

Ultimately this situation is the crux of hu play. The A high board. In my opinion you have to pick a better spot, than this.

Dynasty
10-29-2002, 06:45 PM
This game is in Vegas so the cap is 5 bets. Also, it's hard to get a free card when I'm in the small blind and first to act on the flop.

J_V
10-29-2002, 06:46 PM
sorry misread post

Andy B
10-30-2002, 12:49 AM
My assessment of the situation is that you have nothing and you're out of position. You could perhaps try to put a move on him, but I'd wait for a better spot.

Dynasty
10-30-2002, 02:31 AM
The big quesion is whether or not my King and Jack outs are any good. Kevin would 3-bet with many big Aces and probably all pocket pairs. I took the approach Clarkmeister suggested in his post. I took a card off with the intention of folding to a bet without improvement.

The turn is: Ac,7h,3d,Th

I checked. Kevin bet. I called.

The river is: Ac,7h,3d,Th,Qs

Hey! Look who got ridiculously lucky. I checked. Kevin bet. I checkraised. Kevin thought and folded.

I don't think he put me on KJ. So, his river fold probably means he had pocket pair smaller than Tens. I'm certain he would have called the river with Any Ace, Any Queen, KK, JJ, and probably just a Ten. He had to put me on at least a Queen to fold. I actually expected him to call the river raise with any pair.