PDA

View Full Version : 88 UTG

Hojglad
04-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Ok, so after finishing my first revolution at the table, I got dealt this hand UTG. I usually limp 88 UTG, but if I'm at a very weak table, I'll raise it.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Kind of an ugly flop. I can't very well bet into that because there is a good chance that anyone who calls beats me, or has a much stronger draw, right? Also, I figure there's a good chance it might get checked through and a free card would certainly not hurt.

Turn: (2 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds.

At this point, it looks like he might be betting position to me, but I don't really feel like spending 2 BB to find out when the pot was so small. Is this a proper fold?

Final Pot: 3 BB

Dead
04-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I like this fold.

Often times players will check through a weak Q or a ten and when a safe card hits on the turn, they then come out betting. The pot is small. Give it up.

Ivanapolis
04-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I think it's necessary to bet the flop (you have position against 2 players, who have shown weekness and only 1 player behind you). If you check the flop and the turn you do not know anything about your opponent's hand and you don't give your opponents the chance to fold. I wouldn't check two times, but if so, now it's time to fold (and maybe let him win with A5, KJ, K9, J9.... or a pure bluff).

mmbt0ne
04-09-2005, 02:54 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CO almost certainly would've bet the flop with any piece, especially a Q or T being last to act.

That 5 didn't improve anyone's hand over yours. Bet the turn!

Dead
04-09-2005, 03:02 PM
The pot is really small man. Risking 1 bet to win two?

Aaron W.
04-10-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so after finishing my first revolution at the table, I got dealt this hand UTG. I usually limp 88 UTG, but if I'm at a very weak table, I'll raise it.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Kind of an ugly flop. I can't very well bet into that because there is a good chance that anyone who calls beats me, or has a much stronger draw, right? Also, I figure there's a good chance it might get checked through and a free card would certainly not hurt.

Turn: (2 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds.

At this point, it looks like he might be betting position to me, but I don't really feel like spending 2 BB to find out when the pot was so small. Is this a proper fold?

Final Pot: 3 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

With no read, there are two ways to go and neither is significantly better: Bet-fold the turn, check-fold the turn. I probably would have bet the turn. Do I expect to pick it up more than 33% of the time? Not really, but I don't need the whole 33%. I get some overlay when my hand is best, and when some draw calls the turn bet, misses on the river, and shows down the missed draw after I check behind. A bet here is certainly not spewing. I would have expected an Q or T to bet the flop, so I'm somewhat confident (50%) that 88 is best here.

But check-folding because it's a small pot isn't a bad play, either. You might see a free river, or you might let some dope bet you out of the pot. But it's not a big pot, so it's not a big problem.