PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Situation

RacersEdge
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
You sit down to a ring game and buy in for 25X the small bet.

Your goal is to double your stack in 1 hour. Anything less, and you lose all your chips at the end of the hour. Double them and they are yours to keep.

How do you change your regualr game? What hands do you play in which positions under these conditions?

Niediam
04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Just remember that you are no longer trying to make +EV plays but are trying to get lucky and win big pots. So you will do things such play all pairs preflop regardless of the action.

nate1729
04-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that's almost certainly wrong. I'm not sure what the "real-life" point of this thread is, but you'd be much better off gambling preflop by putting in large raises. If you take limping shots at the flop you're chipping away at your own stack -- which you can't replenish -- and decreasing the chance that you actually win the pot. This concept can be motivated in part by looking at Sklansky's "System," which also deals with bust-averse stacks (of size not unlike 25BB) for which building-up is a necessity.

xxxxx
04-09-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your goal is to double your stack in 1 hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick up all my chips. Walk over to the roulette wheel. Put everything on red.

Tboner7
04-10-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your goal is to double your stack in 1 hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick up all my chips. Walk over to the roulette wheel. Put everything on red.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, black.

TStoneMBD
04-10-2005, 01:35 AM
play fairly loose for the first half hour or so, and be willing to get your chips in as a small dog. after that, be willing to get your chips in as a 40/60 dog. its not at all difficult to get a coinflip matchup in your favor with such a small stack.

Niediam
04-10-2005, 01:57 AM
I assumed we were talking about limit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RacersEdge
04-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Yes, I should have emphasized we are talking a structured limit game. That's why I said your chips are in terms of the betting limits - and I meant 25X the big bet.

RacersEdge
04-10-2005, 01:11 PM
No real big takeaway here - I just started playing B&M lately and there has been a couple times I've come across a player who is has increased his original buy-in by a factor of 4 or 5 and in all cases the player was an incredibly loose player just on a lucky roll.

The better players grind it more and it's more likely a best case scenario for them is to double up in session.

I just thought it was intersing observation that if you see a player with a gigantic pile of chips in front of him relative to other player that he is most likey not a very good player..