PDA

View Full Version : Taking My MTT Game To The Next Level

Mad Genius1
04-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I have recently gotten pretty serious about MTTs and now play them everyday. I've had some success so far, hitting final tables here and there, but I do seem to have one big leak that I have trouble fixing. I find that I do very well with the shortstack. The problem is, I am only comfortable when I have a shortstack. When I have 30-50xBB in mid-to-late stages of a tourney, I don't really know what to do with it. I try getting a bit more aggressive and raising more pots, but usually I end up taking a few hands too far and blowing my big stack. I would like some specific insight from experienced players on how to deal with this problem, as it seems to be keeping me from going really deep into the money at times. I have also tried tightening up, but that usually just seems to blind me down into a shortstack, since the blinds do go up fairly online.

CardSharpCook
04-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I love playing with a big stack. You can play a lot more "poker" with a big stack. The key is having a good feel for your opponents. You've got to know when they are at their breaking point and use that. You've got to know when they are going to call down with 2nd button and when they can fold it.

You are correct to become more agro with a big stack. You've got to put people to the test. However, you can still be patient. There is no need to turn the entire table into calling stations against you by playing every hand and playing every hand aggressively.

From my poker sayings: "once you've made the big score, you've got to choose between pressing it and sitting back, pressing it usually results in losing that lead, sitting back ALWAYS results in losing that lead, but buying time is the best move in some situations."

CSC

yabastid
04-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Genius,
I love this question. I can have the same problems myself. I would love to hear more from good players like CSC. My reply is to get this thread back to the first page.

Thanks,

yabastid