PDA

View Full Version : Overcalling an all-in bet with a small pair

Blarg
04-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Here's a small pair I had when my stack was starting to dwindle a bit. I was still competitive with most of the field, but two others were far ahead. I had a pair, but was it worth risking the tournament here to come into the pot when there was already someone calling the all-in? It looks like calling would commit all my chips to the pot.

This hand seems more complicated to me than it appears at first glance, since I'm fighting the all-in for half the pot and the guy who called him for the other half. I could beat, or lose to, either or both, winning or losing the full pot or all of it.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t1970)
CO (t445)
Button (t3160)
Hero (t545)
BB (t1545)
UTG (t335)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t335, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t410) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t410) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t410) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

kyro
04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I think I call this here. CO could have a lot of hands that you beat, but it's most likely a coinflip. Who knows what button has. He's got such a big stack he could just be calling hoping to knock someone out. I think you've got enough pot equity to go all in and hopefully triple up.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I really had mixed feelings on this, like I could call it one day and not call it the next.

I figured I most likely beat at least one of those guys, especially the all-in guy. But I also had to fight the other guy, and I really had so little headroom to better my hand with. Almost any pair either of those guys hits means I'm out of the tourney. And if they're calling with almost any pair, I'm already beaten.