PDA

View Full Version : CBS cameraman is arrested as suspected insurgent

Broken Glass Can
04-09-2005, 09:53 AM
CBS stringer arrested in Iraq (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/04/08/iraq.main/index.html)

U.S. military suspects cameraman of being an insurgent

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A CBS stringer has been arrested as a suspected insurgent, U.S. military officials said Friday.

The video cameraman was wounded during a firefight in northeastern Mosul between U.S. troops and insurgents Tuesday.

U.S. military officials said the man's camera held footage of a number of roadside bomb attacks against American troops, and they believe he was tipped off to those attacks.

A U.S. military statement said troops believe the man "poses an imperative threat to coalition forces" and that he "will be processed as any other security detainee."

CBS said the photographer was hired about three months ago, and it asked news organizations not to identify him.

In a written statement, the network said the man was referred to the network by a "fixer" in Tikrit "who has had a trusted relationship with CBS News for two years."

"It is common practice in Iraq for Western news organizations to hire local cameramen in places considered too dangerous for Westerners to work effectively," the network said.

"The very nature of their work often puts them in the middle of very volatile situations."

One official said at least four videos in the man's camera show roadside bomb attacks on U.S. troops.

All had been shot in a manner that suggested the cameraman had prior knowledge of the attacks and had scouted a shooting location in sight of the target.

"The individual in question was carrying press credentials from CBS News. Military officials detained this individual and are conducting an investigation into his previous activities as well as his alleged support of anti-Iraqi insurgency activities," a U.S. military statement said Friday.

The U.S. military has said that the cameraman was shot by soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment after it appeared to them he had a weapon.

The U.S. military said the shooting occurred amid the chaos of a suicide bombing and that the cameraman was standing next to an armed insurgent at the time.

U.S. troops have been fighting insurgents in Mosul almost daily.

bholdr
04-09-2005, 04:35 PM
you're just lovin' this aren't you?

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 04:39 PM
So the guys a douche. Other "credible" new organizations appear to avoid having this sort of egg on their face by having no one on the ground.

Broken Glass Can
04-09-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a deep concern for the integrity, accuracy, and unbiasedness of our media, something that CBS has been doing poorly lately.

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe they[CBS] should try to emulate WorldNetDaily. I hear that they have a stellar record of journalistic integrity.

Arnfinn Madsen
04-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Black, white
Grey, dark
Friend, enemy
trustworthy, traitor
finding terrorists, storming houses of innocent people
shooting insurgents, shooting civilians

etc., etc.

The terrorists invited you to fight in the mud and you took it. Prepare to get dirty.

vulturesrow
04-09-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Black, white
Grey, dark
Friend, enemy
trustworthy, traitor
finding terrorists, storming houses of innocent people
shooting insurgents, shooting civilians

etc., etc.

The terrorists invited you to fight in the mud and you took it. Prepare to get dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another nonsensical post by one of our resident foreign wackos.

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yet another nonsensical post by one of our resident foreign wackos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xenophobia suits you well. Whatcha think, VW? Should we attack Norway next? You might be out of a job if we didn't have all of these conflicts in the world. My, that would sure suck, wouldn't it?

Let's cut some government waste. That would be the "conservative" thing to do. We'll start with your job, ok?

Arnfinn Madsen
04-09-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Xenophobia suits you well. Whatcha think, VW? Should we nuke Norway next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleas notify me 2 days in advance. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dead
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Xenophobia suits you well. Whatcha think, VW? Should we nuke Norway next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleas notify me 2 days in advance. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His stupid comments were very predictable, Arnfinn. I picture all of the neocons on here as they read my posts. I can practically see the blood vessels bursting out of their foreheads.

If these crazies had their way, we would have a monarchy, and the Queen would be Ann Coulter.

There would be no freedom of speech, and there would be weekly roasting of homosexuals on the fire.

fluxrad
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a deep concern for the integrity, accuracy, and unbiasedness of our media, something that CBS has been doing poorly lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...that would be a yes, then.

Arnfinn Madsen
04-09-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If these crazies had their way,....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they are having it their way, isn't that why everything is so fvcked up (oops, prepare for another angry reply /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

QuadsOverQuads
04-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I can top that, BGC. See, there was recently a situation where the US Army itself got infiltrated by a guy who turned around and blew up a mess hall and killed two dozen soldiers.

This, of course, proves that the US Army is secretly in cahoots with the Iraqi opposition.

q/q

Dead
04-09-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If these crazies had their way,....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they are having it their way, isn't that why everything is so fvcked up (oops, prepare for another angry reply /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still too much resistance for their liking. Those pesky Democrats should get out of the way.

Hegemony rocks
Contracts go to H-burton
We are super fuc**d

vulturesrow
04-09-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Xenophobia suits you well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I call someone a whacko and all of the sudden I am xenophobic. Thats quite an extrapolation Dead. Completely wrong but an incredible leap of logic nonetheless. Kudos.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatcha think, VW? Should we attack Norway next?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why would I think that? Oh yeah because I called someone a foreign whacko, and therefore I am xenophobic and want to bomb every foreign country out there. sorry about that.

[ QUOTE ]
You might be out of a job if we didn't have all of these conflicts in the world. My, that would sure suck, wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id be happy if I never had to fly another combat mission in my life. I am quite content to fly training missions against my pals and then go drink beer when we're all done. At any rate, not being in conflict wouldnt mean my job would suddenly disappear.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's cut some government waste. That would be the "conservative" thing to do. We'll start with your job, ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Que sera, sera. If that were to happen I would a)have no trouble finding work in the civilian world and b) you can guarantee yourself you wouldnt see me whining about how I wasnt treated fairly by the government or about how they "owed me".

Dead
04-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Blah blah blah.

What does him being foreign have to do with the argument at hand? Nothing. You just wanted to throw an ad hominem out there.

vulturesrow
04-10-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

A beautifully succinct summary of about 80 percent of your posts in this forum. Huzzah!

[ QUOTE ]
What does him being foreign have to do with the argument at hand? Nothing. You just wanted to throw an ad hominem out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say his being foreign had anything to do with it. I was merely distinguishing him from our homegrown whackos.

PS Look up the definition of ad hominen, because along with many others in here, you clearly have a little trouble with what it actually means.