PDA

View Full Version : Italians

DBowling
04-09-2005, 05:45 AM
im sorry if this is common knowledge, but are italians considered latin or caucasian?

Is there a spain<-->italy connection anywhere?

Kaz The Original
04-09-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm gonna vote caucasian here.

juanez
04-09-2005, 06:03 AM
(disclaimer....I'm not a racist or a bigot, etc...just want to know the name of a movie. No intent to hijack this thread either)

There was a movie where Christopher Walken was a gangster type in the Italian mafia. He was looking for this dude, so he visited the dude's dad to find out where he was.

The dude's dad knew he was going to be killed regardless of what he said about the whereabouts of his son, so he went into this rant about how Italians are a cross between Europeans and the Moors from Africa, just to piss of Chistopher Walken (bad idea). The guy’s dad then said something like, "So, really, Italians have half [n-word] blood and that’s why their skin is dark" or something like that and was then promptly shot in the head by an infuriated Christopher Walken.

I doubt if this helps, but if someone remembers the name of that movie, please post it.

juanez
04-09-2005, 06:04 AM
I second that vote.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna vote caucasian here.

[/ QUOTE ]
when i first read your response, i was disapointed i didnt make this a poll.
5 seconds later i was proud of myself for not making this a poll

Boris
04-09-2005, 06:07 AM
the movie was true romance. and if memory serves me, nigger was never used. the word was eggplant.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 06:17 AM
is this true about them being african blood?

juanez
04-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Ahhhhhh, that's it! Thanks!!! Yeah, maybe the N word wasn't used...been a few years.

juanez
04-09-2005, 06:20 AM
I have no clue.

zaxx19
04-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Why, do you consider all Africans non-caucasoid?

I can tell you as someone who has African blood and is clearly caucasoid you would be wrong.

Latins are a quasi racial type in Europe

Latin-Slav-Germanics-Magyars.....

Latinos or latinas are something else.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 06:38 AM
i knew i shouldnt have dropped that euro history class. i have no idea if you answered my question in there.

zaxx19
04-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Your question is flawed because being latin and being caucasian are not mutually exclusive of one another.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 07:32 AM
so do you not understand what i was going for?

what box do the italians check on the census form?
White
Hispanic
Other: _________

DavidC
04-09-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im sorry if this is common knowledge, but are italians considered latin or caucasian?

Is there a spain<-->italy connection anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends, are we talking about the part of Italy that was conquered by the spanish, the africans, the greeks, the swiss, the germans, or the french? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DBowling
04-09-2005, 08:11 AM
im thinking italians like the stereotypical mobster italians

zaxx19
04-09-2005, 08:15 AM
White.

So do Arabs according to the U.S. census bureau last I checked.

OK here it is off the website.

[ QUOTE ]
The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.

White refers to people having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicated their race or races as "White" or wrote in entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish. (See also Whites)

[/ QUOTE ]

zaxx19
04-09-2005, 08:18 AM
You are thinking of Sicilians....

The Island was conquered like 13 times in history and blood from all sorts of people mingle in Sicilians.

Some of the conquerors:

Greeks Romans Turks Nordics Arabs Maghrebis

Put that in a blender and go to town.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 08:24 AM
interesting, thank you

Jack of Arcades
04-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Hispanic and Latin are not necessarily the same thing.

codewarrior
04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would typically be Sicillian, and speak a different dialect of Italian. Whole lotta Greek in there. Rome was founded by a conglomeration of tribes. Tuscans are the "true" Italians. All IIRC, of course, it's been awhile.

Mike Gallo
04-09-2005, 10:16 AM
You reference the movie True Romance.

He talks abouts sicilians, not italians. Sicily was invaded by the Moors.

Lazymeatball
04-09-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so do you not understand what i was going for?

what box do the italians check on the census form?
White
Hispanic
Other: _________

[/ QUOTE ]

They would check white, the same as people from Spain.

GreywolfNYC
04-09-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(disclaimer....I'm not a racist or a bigot, etc...just want to know the name of a movie. No intent to hijack this thread either)

There was a movie where Christopher Walken was a gangster type in the Italian mafia. He was looking for this dude, so he visited the dude's dad to find out where he was.

The dude's dad knew he was going to be killed regardless of what he said about the whereabouts of his son, so he went into this rant about how Italians are a cross between Europeans and the Moors from Africa, just to piss of Chistopher Walken (bad idea). The guy’s dad then said something like, "So, really, Italians have half [n-word] blood and that’s why their skin is dark" or something like that and was then promptly shot in the head by an infuriated Christopher Walken.

I doubt if this helps, but if someone remembers the name of that movie, please post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Walken's character, as I recall, was talking about Sicilians, not all Italians in general.

Dominic
04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was True Romance. But Dennis Hopper was not talking about ALL Italians - just Sicilians - since the island is so close to Africa.

SomethingClever
04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
My dad was born in northern Italy, and I look freaking german.

piz0wn0red (my bro) looks more italian than I do.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They would check white, the same as people from Spain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this i did not know about spainiards. Seriously? Even the dark skinned ones?

daryn
04-09-2005, 10:56 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

you are thinking of sicilians. sicily was like italy's whipping boy, always getting conquered by all kinds of races, the moors being most well-known.

edit: looks like this has been answered already /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hermlord
04-10-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That depends, are we talking about the part of Italy that was conquered by the spanish, the africans, the greeks, the swiss, the germans, or the french? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Conquered by the French?!? Now I've heard everything!