PDA

View Full Version : Start-Up For Better Animal Face-Off (Medium Sized Animals)

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Since the first animal face-off had some weird (and not really close) matchups, and a couple other problems (but an awesome idea by the OP), I figured I would start a thread to brainstorm medium-sized animals to fit together in an exciting OOT face-off (this idea has NOTHING to do with the fact I'm on Pacific right now, with the one table limit and such.....).

Of course, the definition of mid-sized will come up, but once I release the types of animals I think would work I'm sure you'd get the idea. So, until tomorrow afternoon I'll get good ideas for animals and start a poll to weed them down to seedings. Here are some ideas for "mid-sized" animals:

bobcat
wolverine
badger
lynx
coyote
cheetah
horse
hyena
fox
kangaroo
deer
antelope
gorilla
jaguar
panda
panther
walrus
leopard
warthog
koala bear
bighorn sheep

I'm sure there are lots of others, but just talk about them and I'll do the post.

wanna

Brainwalter
04-09-2005, 04:15 AM
Good idea, I was underwhelmed by the matchups in the animal tourney (although yes, great idea).

Put a python in there.

Deer, wtf. I saw one tonight, they're cool, but they're like big rabbits.

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 04:21 AM
python's a good idea.

I was just putting various animals in there to gauge size and to let people know what kind of animals are gonna be in it (deer would lose to everything).

wonder how a pitbull would do....

Brainwalter
04-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Pit bull is good.

Warthog good too.

I really wanna see gorilla in there.

Walrus is really big compared to the others. I would have liked to see it in the other tourney. It's probably at least 4x the size of the next biggest in this list though.

GL, I'm looking forward to this event.

Ianco15
04-09-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm pulling for the gorilla.
FYI deer and antelope are eaten by most of these animals. I don't think they will win.

Ship__It.

lorinda
04-09-2005, 05:07 AM
The event needs a bird of prey.

Lori

Boris
04-09-2005, 05:17 AM
Wolf v. pitbull

Chairman Wood
04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
I think UFC man needs to appear again. I would consider him a medium sized animal. He was unfairly put in that bracket. He may have a chance to win one here providing he gets a good matchup.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, I was underwhelmed by the matchups in the animal tourney (although yes, great idea).

Put a python in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deer attack more people than any other wild animal in Amercia, I think I read. They're very territorial and aggressive in mating season. And they're still wild animals. I wouldn't want horns backed by hundreds of pounds of angry animal muscle driven into my guts, that's for sure.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wolf v. pitbull

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be kind of interesting. The largest wolves have long since vanished from the earth, but wolves have far bigger and stronger jaws than dogs do, and pitbulls have jaws that lock and are incredibly powerful. One is a wild, nature-hardened animal that lives by killing, and the other is a usually smaller animal purpose-bred for fighting.

Actual death matches between animals strike me as incredibly wrong -- except for insects I guess, which I pretty much hate -- but as far as just being curious goes, I think it might be an interesting fight, depending on the size of the animals, since some pitbulls and wolves are much bigger than others.

Boris
04-09-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actual death matches between animals strike me as incredibly wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. my money is on the wolf.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 06:54 AM
So is mine.

broodwitch
04-09-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think UFC man needs to appear again. I would consider him a medium sized animal. He was unfairly put in that bracket. He may have a chance to win one here providing he gets a good matchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think man needs to be in the list. i never pointed this out for the original idea but finding your species champion in the UFC is ... not the right idea here.

if you think it is, watch spike tonight at 2100et (http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/episodes.php?show=next). these men are trained to subdue each other, not animals.

you want austin stevens (http://www.animalplanet.com.au/austinstevens/feature1.shtml) or, if his show is well done enough to fool me about his prowess, his real-life counterpart.

p.s. i considered steve irwin (http://www.crocodilehunter.com/) as an alternate for austin until i saw the picture of him at the link referenced. instead, i now nominate him and his crocodilian buddy as candidates for the hot tub.

p.p.s. watch spike tonight. whatever you think of the sport, it is real. real competition between men with these rules is interesting to behold under nearly all circumstances and ability/size differentials.

tbach24
04-09-2005, 10:46 AM
There is no chance the gorilla will lose

Evan
04-09-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 11:34 AM
A python would [censored] blow. They are not fighting critters, and "python" is a common name that references everything from the Antaresia perthensis (Anthill python, reaching an astounding 24") to python reticulatus (reticulated python, a large female being in the 24'++ range).

willie
04-09-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no chance the gorilla will lose

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously

hey little kangaroo....kangaroo goes for a few punches, the gorilla grabs and and breaks him

aw what a cute little doggy! (wolf) SNAP

they are brutal.

einbert
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a kickboxer or something?

Dead
04-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Let's do an insect faceoff like someone suggested.

jakethebake
04-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Put Bruiser in there.

fsuplayer
04-09-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put Bruiser in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

may i suggest a first round battle to the death of bruiser vs. koala bear?

fsuplayer
04-09-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wolverine
badger

[/ QUOTE ]

nice picks. those fckers are fierce.

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 02:20 PM
deer are tough mothers - I wouldn't want one running at me and kicking the hell out of me....

what about a cobra?

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Koala's have vicious [censored] claws and can be quite aggressive when cornered. I'd lay 3 to 1 that the Koala disembowels Bruiser before he gets a blow in.

Inthacup
04-09-2005, 02:30 PM
If you do this tourney, you should include a brief bio on each of the animals.

willie
04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

what about a cobra?

[/ QUOTE ]

check out the one that was listed in the other animal faceoff

it was in a zoo in england and had grown to like 18 feet long /images/graemlins/blush.gif they killed it when ww2 started cause they feared it getting loose during the bombing

an 18 foot cobra would be a leeeeeethal animal.

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Cobras aren't much of a fighter--many animals that will subsequently die of an envenomation will kill it first.

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
jackal
dingo
human (6'2, 200 lb male)

any others?

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do this tourney, you should include a brief bio on each of the animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do it once the rankings were set

InchoateHand
04-09-2005, 02:40 PM
5 Humans, 3'6, 55 lbs.

BusterStacks
04-09-2005, 03:28 PM
maybe it's just me, but animal face-offs are one of the coolest things ever.

i wanna be me
04-09-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe it's just me, but animal face-offs are one of the coolest things ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's definitely not just you.....

Emmitt2222
04-09-2005, 03:42 PM
heard baboons can be crazy sometimes

Richie Rich
04-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Add: (1) pit bull, (2) tazmanian devil, (3) raccoon, & (4) wolf.

Loci
04-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Komodo dragon, panda bear, R.O.U.S. and land shark should all be included... pigeon-toed-sloth or rapid poodle should be allowed a wild card placement.

miajag81
04-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Uhh, wolf in a landslide