PDA

View Full Version : Table Change?

Mikey
10-27-2002, 08:21 PM
When you are sitting at a table and getting beat up. For instance, not only are the cards falling bad for you, but players are taking shots at you. Should you get up to find another table and start fresh, not because you are running bad but to prevent the others from taking shots at you?

A few examples of how I think I got run over yesterday in the 10-20 game. I'm not afraid to admit it, but yes I did get taken shots at me, and I did sometimes fold a splitter.

Not only was I running bad yesterday but the players were taking shots at me.

I folded one time AK to what I supposedly heard chatter from the other side of the table that he had AK as well. He did infact have position on me and the only thing I can call with was the busted AK hand as well. So.....I got bluffed out of that.

I had 66 in the SB.
only the dealer limped in- a real loose guy, who occasionly raises with good hands.

The flop comes Q 4 3 rainbow.
I lead out, get called by BB, and Dealer raises. I muck.
Turn 7.
Action went Check, Check
River Q
Action went Check, Check.

BB had 7 3 and turned 2 pair, and the button raised me with A3.

I was ahead on the flop and folded the flop winner.

I am in the BB with 10c9c. After 5 limpers I decide let me raise here, hopefully someone can put on something they all think I would raise with, like a high pair or AK.
So....I raise....and now the first limper reraises. everyone calls. and I call.

(i'm thinking to myself......man I get no respect at all.)

Flop came up A K 5 r. no clubs. I had to check it and fold it.
The limpreraiser reraised with 106o, and rivered a straight.

This is the type of day that I was having.

Now i'm not putting up a post here to demonstrate that I'm running bad, but would getting up off that table because of my poor image be better than sitting there. At that point everyone is looking at me, like that's the kid to beat up on. I think it's best to change table because of the psychological aspect of it.

What do you think?

Manzanita
10-27-2002, 09:31 PM
Mikey,

I believe that a table change is a reasonable choice. You could also consider tightening up your play and staying at the same table. When things are not going your way it is often a good idea to avoid making the marginal plays; wait for a solid hand. For example, your raise of 5 limpers from the BB with T9s is a marginal play.

Good luck!

-- Manzanita

Al Schoonmaker
10-27-2002, 09:52 PM
Mason wrote an article in Cardplayer fairly recently about this subject. You might find it on their website, cardplayer.com.

In addition to the points he makes, you should consider how much your bad luck has affected your play. If you feel that people are taking shots at you, and if you are letting them run over you, the best thing to do is to go home. There will always be another game, and you clearly are not playing your best.

Changing tables may change your table image because the new people will not have seen your getting beaten up. However, you may be putting out unconscious messages that say, "Beat me up." And you said that you were not playing well.

Most people do not realize how thin an edge skilled players have over less skilled oneS. Lou Kreiger wrote a fine article on it some time ago. I believe it was in Poker Digest. You might find it on loukrieger.com, or you could go there and ask him for it.

Lou's point is that the "one bet per hour" that we take as the "standard win rate" is a small fraction of the money we bet. If our game is just a little off, our edge goes from positive to negative.

You cited a couple of "mistakes" you made. If you feel you would have played those hands better at other times, go home. Play when you're in better shape.

Regards,

Al

PokerBabe(aka)
10-27-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Mikey- when your image is bad, or your cards are bad or your playing is bad, it's time to either change tables or go home. If you are not a favorite in the game and/or are not enjoying yourself, why stay? It's ok to leave and/or change tables. Tomorrow is another day and the game will start anew. LGPG, Babe

Jedi Poker
10-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Sun Tsu said that the superior general wins by avoiding battles. I recommend a "table change stop-loss". This is a pre-specified loss amount that would trigger you to automatically get a table change in order to re-set your image back to neutral, which will be the case when you go up against a whole new line up of players. This loss amount would range from 25 to 50 big bets depending on other EV determining table conditions.

10-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Mike,

Just send you a private message.

Homer
10-28-2002, 02:01 PM
I don't see why you would want to change tables, given that people are taking shots at you with total garbage hands. Just tighten up and let them make plays at you when you have a good hand. Of course, if you feel that your game has been altered to the point that you are no longer playing solidly, then I think you should pack up and go home. Generally speaking, I love it when people are taking shots at me, though...

-- Homer

Mikey
10-28-2002, 02:17 PM

Clarkmeister
10-28-2002, 04:52 PM
That guy with the A3 wasn't taking a shot. He was playing good aggressive poker. Your bet looks like a steal at a raggedy board and the BB couldn't even raise. He has every reason to think he has the best hand, and if he has an opponent who will fold a better hand, so much the better.

Take your thinking to the next level.

10-29-2002, 09:20 AM
I have read many of your posts, and I confess I actually feel sorry for you. You blame your loses on everything but the true reason, the leaks in your game. Have a little culpability and admit you need to learn more about the game.

I read some of your "theoretical" hands, it apprears to me that you need to sit down and actually play the game.

As far as players taking shots at you, as long as you play fairly predictable, players will all over you. Make a stand, make a bad call, just to let them know you can't get pushed off a hand.

I think you should become less arrogant and become more studious. You have a lot to learn about the game, and probably life.