PDA

View Full Version : My spider problem and insect death match

DBowling
04-08-2005, 11:36 PM
I posted here a few months ago when i first moved in about having tons of spiders in my apartment. They are all over. Its pretty bad i guess, but i deal with it because they are mostly daddy long legs, and they take care of my ant problem somewhat.

Yesterday i found a really large spider, not a daddy long leg, but a fat one. He was just chilling in my hallway, on the carpet. I wasnt sure how i wanted to kill him, so i placed a clear plastic cup over him to keep him in place.

Later i decided i would add a daddy long leg spider under the cup. They scraped at eachother when they touched, but mostly kept their distance. Not quite the death match i anticipated. So i added another, larger D.L.L. Still nothing.

I thought maybe they were hungry, so i found some ants, got them to climb on a piece of paper and slid them under the cup. The ants climbed on the wall of the cup, and avoided the spiders completely. What sounded like a great deathmatch ended up quite boring and non violent. So i left them under the cup until i could figure out what to do next.

But when i woke up today, i was surprised to find that all of the spiders were gone! And there were dozens of ants feasting on their carcases. This was pretty crazy because i only inserted 3-5 ants into the cup. I didnt know at the time, but the ants could crawl under and outside of the cup, and somebody must have gotten backup.

Anyway, a waste of your time, i know. But i was pretty surprised the ants came out the victor, when they were supposed to be a snack for the contestants.

Jeff W
04-08-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm not surprised that the ants were victorious.

Ants are killing machines. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0674485262/qid=1113018125/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6681022-9240912)

P.S. Did you quit playing poker? I haven't seen you on IRC in ages. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dead
04-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Daddy longlegs are not spiders. They are often mistaken for spiders, but they are not capable of producing webs, therefore they cannot be spiders.

Just thought I would point out that misconception.

Regardless, daddy longlegs are awesome.

SpearsBritney
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Oh yeah, they only have 6 legs, right. What are they?

sublime
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
clean your apartment

SpearsBritney
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clean your apartment

[/ QUOTE ]

me likey

Dead
04-08-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are phalangids.

If you want to see more daddy longlegs, leave piles of damp clothes in your basement, and make sure it's pretty cool down there.

Then the daddy longlegs will nest in them.

And you're wrong about them having only six legs. They do have eight legs.

They ARE arachnids. They are NOT spiders, however.

In daddy longlegs, the front and back structure are joined, so their bodies are more fragile. In spiders, this is not the case.

Daddy longlegs also pose NO threat to humans. The vast majority of them have no venom, and the ones that do are also not threatening to humans. Most of them like to feast on organic material.

SpearsBritney
04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are phalangids.

If you want to see more daddy longlegs, leave piles of damp clothes in your basement, and make sure it's pretty cool down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i lost interest

Dead
04-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Whatever.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/classes/ent4251/Images/LaboratoryImages/Lab1/daddylonglegsOP.jpg

Jeff W
04-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Daddy Longlegs Spider. (http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Pholcidae/Pholcidae.htm)

Dead
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah I've been to that site before.

Daddy longlegs are one of my favorite bugs.

It's a good site.

Dead
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either. We get a lot of ants outside our pool during the summer, and those little fuckers pack a big punch. Many times we will see hundreds of ants carrying around these large dead spiders on their backs.

SpearsBritney
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Daddy longlegs are one of my favorite bugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, everyone's gonna see this

Jeff W
04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are often mistaken for spiders, but they are not capable of producing webs, therefore they cannot be spiders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that all spiders produce webs?

Dead
04-09-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are often mistaken for spiders, but they are not capable of producing webs, therefore they cannot be spiders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that all spiders produce webs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of them do. That didn't come out the way I wanted.

MOST do, however. But that is not the reason that DLL's are not spiders. They are not spiders because of the other reasons I listed above.

But ALL spiders do produce venom. Daddy Longlegs do not generally.

Popinjay
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ants are killing machines. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0674485262/qid=1113018125/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6681022-9240912)

P.S. Did you quit playing poker? I haven't seen you on IRC in ages. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you on IRC JeffW. Same with DBowling?!

[censored]
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
It's disturbing that 13/14 replies before mine in this thread are from the same 3 people.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:04 AM
these things produce webbing, or some other thing that allows them to be suspended midair, so maybe theyre not DLL.

Dead
04-09-2005, 12:05 AM
yeah they must not be then.

DBowling
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was planning on playing last night, but the spider thing was more interesting /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ill be on later tonight, after i get some dinner. I woke up just 3 hours ago /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Popinjay
[ QUOTE ]
these things produce webbing, or some other thing that allows them to be suspended midair, so maybe theyre not DLL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you on IRC?

Sponger15SB
04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Who are you on IRC JeffW. Same with DBowling?!

[/ QUOTE ]

They post on another IRC channel, not the 2+2 one

Jeff W
04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
My nick is Jeff_W or JeffW. I don't hang out in #twoplustwo much, because it doesn't seem oriented towards posting hands and discussing strategy/etc.

Me and DBowling often hang out in another channel where the main focus is posting plain text hands and discussing them.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My nick is DBowling or Devon. I don't hang out in #twoplustwo much, because it doesn't seem oriented towards posting hands and discussing strategy/etc.

Me and JeffW often hang out in another channel where the main focus is posting plain text hands and discussing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Popinjay
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
may I ask what channel this is?

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah they must not be then.

[/ QUOTE ]

they do have the jointed legs that you were talking about earlier. my brother was mentioning how its weird that they sometimes stand on the side of their leg, using one of the joints as a foot. ill see if i can get a picture hosted somewhere later tonight so you can see what im talking about. they are really small bodied (maybe 2-3 ants long and 1-2 ants wide) with really large legs that give them a diamater of an inch to an inch and a half

edit, oops i misread your post where you said the bodies were "joined" not "jointed". my bad.

Dead
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah pictures would help.

That sounds an awful lot like a DLL, but DLL's cannot spin webs. They're consigned to the floor to eat smaller bugs. That's why they are called harvestmen, I believe. Because they just harvest [censored] off the floor.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Daddy Longlegs Spider. (http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Pholcidae/Pholcidae.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

i just looked at these pictures and they look identicle to what is in my house, but i assure you they are on a web

Jeff W
04-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Sure, it's not on EFNet. It's #pokermentor on CyberArmy.

Dead
AHha.

I think I may have figured it out.

Let me post a picture, and you tell me if this is what it looks like:

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/images/daddydrawing.jpg

Does it look like the one in the center?

That one is often mistaken for a DLL, but it's actually a pholcid house spider. It CAN spin webs.

The one on the right is a daddy longlegs

DBowling
also, from this site, [ QUOTE ]
The daddy-longlegs have a special method of hunting. Their untidy web is used more as a place to stay than for catching prey.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it sounds like they do have a web?

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:18 AM
yes,it looks like the center one

Dead
They can't spin webs, beacuse they have no silk.

Dead
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there you go. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Glad we figured that one out.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, thank god /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dead
04-09-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what you should do.

Capture a wasp if you can and put it in a jar with a spider.

I've done it before. It is [censored] great.

The spider can pwn the [censored] out of the wasp usually, and also try putting in bees with a spider. The spider usually gets the best of them too.

I think a praying mantis could do some owning too, but I don't have one of those, and they're hard to find. I haven't seen one in about 10 yrs.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are phalangids.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i lost interest

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what you should do.

Capture a wasp if you can and put it in a jar with a spider.

I've done it before. It is [censored] great.

The spider can pwn the [censored] out of the wasp usually, and also try putting in bees with a spider. The spider usually gets the best of them too.

I think a praying mantis could do some owning too, but I don't have one of those, and they're hard to find. I haven't seen one in about 10 yrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would be something cool to see.

No idea how you would capture a bee or wasp and put it in a jar, though. Except by getting stung in the palm grabbing, at which point you'd have the ass and guts of the bee sticking out of you, and the bee wouuld shortly be dead. Can't recall ever capturing a spider either, only spraying or swatting or smashing them. I guess in the battle of who has the most courage, me vs. spider, the smart money would probably be on the spider.

TimTimSalabim
04-09-2005, 03:27 AM
An Insect Survivor Tourney is definitely called for.

NorCalJosh
04-09-2005, 03:53 AM
am i missing something? did you actually read that site?

Hermlord
04-09-2005, 04:56 AM
In my dorm room senior year I would periodically wake up and find a wasp hanging out on the inside of my window. I trapped them under a glass, slid the glass to knock them off the window, at which point they'd start flying around in the glass. I then slid a plate under the glass. You could easily do the same thing with a jar. Now all you need is a P.O.S. dorm room with, apparently, gaping holes to the outside.

Blarg
04-09-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
An Insect Survivor Tourney is definitely called for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I thought this thread was gonna be about.

The bit about the ants devouring the spiders left under the glass was pretty cool. Ants are pretty righteous creatures; kind of an unstoppable zombie army. Brains...BRAAAAIIIIINNNS!

orange
04-09-2005, 04:43 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in FL, and when I was younger, we used to pit insects against each other. My friend caught a praying mantis and a gigantic wasp and put them in a jar. We brought it into class and the two fought all through the day.

When we came back to school the next day, the praying mantis had the wasp's stinger in it, the wasp had its wings torn off, and two of the praying mantis' legs were gone. I think the praying mantis won it in the end, although both died shortly after.

Dead
04-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Now that I think about it, that would be a truly awful thing to do. I regret even saying it.

Wasps are one thing, but praying mantises are quite another. There is just something special about them.

Freakin
04-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in FL, and when I was younger, we used to pit insects against each other. My friend caught a praying mantis and a gigantic wasp and put them in a jar. We brought it into class and the two fought all through the day.

When we came back to school the next day, the praying mantis had the wasp's stinger in it, the wasp had its wings torn off, and two of the praying mantis' legs were gone. I think the praying mantis won it in the end, although both died shortly after.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so hardcore.

Freakin

Dead
04-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's an interesting fact:

Praying mantises, being mantids, sometimes eat their mates.

"The male usually approaches from behind and hangs onto the female's back with his front legs. He then deposits and stores sperm cells into a special chamber in the female abdomen. The danger may occur during the mating process or afterwards where the female mantis devours her male mate, sometimes starting by biting off his head. Usually the male mantids will try to get the job done before they are eaten, even if it means performing the task while they are being eaten."

Here's a cool picture of one on a human hand:

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/7479/800pxmantis8wq.jpg

Freakin
04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Praying mantises, being mantids, sometimes eat their mates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old news to me, but that doesn't make it any less badass...

Freakin

Lazymeatball
04-09-2005, 05:47 PM
There's no way a spider is gonna waste it's times trying to eat ants. they are just way too acidic for the spider to find them tasty. The french word for ants is les fourmi, refering to the amount of formic acid in them.

I think it's pretty cool those ants went back to the colony and left a scent trail to the easy spider meal under the jar. Reminds me of that old computer game "SimAnt" from the makers of SimCity, the Sims, etc.

Freakin
04-09-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way a spider is gonna waste it's times trying to eat ants. they are just way too acidic for the spider to find them tasty. The french word for ants is les fourmi, refering to the amount of formic acid in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to eat ants either, but if they started recruiting all their friends to come and destroy me, I'd take them out MacGuyver style. It's clear that this spider lacked the self-defense mechanisms necessary to survive in a tiny bio-dome.

Freakin

Freakin

daryn
04-09-2005, 07:12 PM
is there a reason you signed this post twice? also, you guys with sigs, do you actually type them out every time or do you have some bot or something that does it. i can't understand how you would physically type "Freakin" twice like that. also, why do you even sign your posts?

Blarg
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my dorm room senior year I would periodically wake up and find a wasp hanging out on the inside of my window. I trapped them under a glass, slid the glass to knock them off the window, at which point they'd start flying around in the glass. I then slid a plate under the glass. You could easily do the same thing with a jar. Now all you need is a P.O.S. dorm room with, apparently, gaping holes to the outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. I've been stung by bees and wasps so many times I think I'd just give some dumb kid a buck to do it for me.

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:02 PM
It's a software option I thought.

daryn
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
well it used to be but it has been disabled for a long time due to sig-spam.

Lazymeatball
04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well it used to be but it has been disabled for a long time due to sig-spam.

[/ QUOTE ]

A long time being at least 6 months before Dead arrived

Lestat
04-09-2005, 08:11 PM
This insect and spider stuff is real interesting, but shouldn't we all be pitching in or something so this dude can move into some better digs? The guy is snagging 6-legged vermin at will in his home.

How the hell does he get babeage to even step foot in his place, let alone spend the night? That's what I want to know.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way a spider is gonna waste it's times trying to eat ants.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fake daddy long legs that i was talking about eat ants all the time. that is all they eat, as far as im aware. i have dead ant carcasses wrapped in webbing to prove it.

DBowling
04-09-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This insect and spider stuff is real interesting, but shouldn't we all be pitching in or something so this dude can move into some better digs? The guy is snagging 6-legged vermin at will in his home.

How the hell does he get babeage to even step foot in his place, let alone spend the night? That's what I want to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. My apartment is pretty nice, somewhat pricey. But its southern california, so everything is pricey.
As easy as they are to catch to throw into a deathmatch, its no problem killing them all real quick. i know exactly where they hang out and id kill them all the time, but it seems to be a waste of time. They always come back a few days later. And like i was saying before, they help keep the ant problem in check, so i dont mind too much when living by myself.

Dead
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a cute chocolate lab pup(well, i like to pretend that she is a puppy, but she's actually 10 years old now), and she used to eat bugs.

But ever since she hit middle age, she's stopped. I put live bugs in front of her now, and she just sniffs them and walks away. Occasionally she will pick it up in her mouth and then spit it out. This usually succeeds in killing the bug.