PDA

View Full Version : O8B Pot Odds Example?

7n7
04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I've been searching the web and the 2+2 forums for a good example of an O8B pot odds example when chasing only half the pot and am wanting to make sure I understand the math.

A simple example:

1. 5/10 full ring O8B game
2. 3-way pot (one middle position limper--which is you, and the blinds)
3. $15 pre-flop
4. Flop gives you the nut flush draw with 2 babies on the board. You have no low potential (or we'll pretend you were counterfeited). SB bets, BB calls, you call...$30 in the pot now (disregard the rake). Not asking if the call was correct here yet.
5. Turn is another baby, you still have only your nut flush draw. SB bets, BB calls...$50 in the pot and it's $10 to you. Assume that you absolutely know that you'll win only half if your flush card hits.

Now for the pot odds:

On the turn it's $50:$10 or 5:1, GREAT!...if you're playing for the whole enchilada or HE, but you're not.

What are your odds for 1/2 the pot here? What does the pot need to be at to make it correct? Assume if you hit the flush, it'll be checked to you and both blinds will call after you bet. If you miss, you'll obviously fold.

Does it work like this? $50 + your $10 turn call + $30 more on river = $90 pot. Half nets you $45-the $20 calls you had to make = $25. $25/$10 turn street call = 2.5:1 therefore you should fold b/c you need 4:1?

Same questions, but after the flop?

Any shortcut way to do this at the table...or just bring the research with you?

Thanks!

QuickLearner
04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
If you make your flush you'll have a chance to raise a bet by SB or BB which will push the pot over the threshold. If you take the inplied odds into consideration you can make the call IMO. But based strictly on pot odds, it's a fold.

7n7
04-10-2005, 12:54 AM
So, when drawing to 1/2 the pot, you do take the ratio of profit won to present bet? If that number is lower, it should be a fold, even though you do profit overall?

I.e. I profit $25 in this hand but my %25:$10 is less than the 4:1 that I need, correct?

Thanks again!

eh923
04-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I think your logic is correct if you are the only one going for the high (or if someone was drawing to the non-nut flush), AND someone with a made low that has the chance of getting quartered will still bet into a flush board when someone looked like they could be drawing.

I'm still leaning towards a fold in this example, but I'm going to give it some more thought.

chaos
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
When two or three low cards flop, the value of a high only hand goes way down. Unless there is a large field and raises preflop, you will rarely be getting the proper odds to chase.

Buzz
04-11-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$50 in the pot and it's $10 to you. Assume that you absolutely know that you'll win only half if your flush card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

7n7 - Your whole pot odds would be five to one.

Try this: Stack up five chips of one color to represent what is in the pot and place one chip of another color on the five chips, making a pile of six chips. Next divide the pile into two equal stacks.

You should be able to clearly see your half-pot odds are two to one.

Buzz