PDA

View Full Version : My first 500 Party 30+3 S&G's

michw
04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, not really my first 500 S&G's, but the first 500 that I've actually tracked (maybe played 200 prior). I started working seriously on my poker game several years back (reading books, blogs, poker forums), and have been playing primarily S&G's the past 6 months. It took me about 4 months to play 500 while playing 2 tables at a time. Since I enjoy reading about other peoples results I thought I would introduce myself to the group and post my results for perusal.

Results:
Total Tourney Winnings $4,050
# tourneys 500
ITM 197
% ITM 39.4%
% ROI 24.5%
$/tourney $8.10

Placement breakdown:
1 76 15.2%
2 63 12.6%
3 58 11.6%
4 60 12.0%
5 60 12.0%
6 58 11.6%
7 60 12.0%
8 38 7.6%
9 14 2.8%
10 13 2.6%

My Weaknesses:
- I primarily employ the strategy advocated by the people that post in this forum, but on occasion I bleed off way too many chips in the early rounds. I tend to pay people off that slowplay monsters who then make big bets on the river. I tend to play my big draws very aggressively when I have position. I tend to tangle with maniacs with subpar hands when they're clearly getting out of line. I've flamed out of many tournaments in the early levels when making the mistakes above. I constantly need to remind myself that I need a very good reason to put half or the majority of my chips at risk in the first couple of levels.
- I played about 20% of the tournaments above with a beer and/or bong in hand. This can't be good for the bottom line but it is fun and thought I would throw it out there for full disclosure.
- I'm usually surfing the net or performing some other distracting activity while I'm playing. I rarely take notes on players although I repeatedly seem many of the same names.

My Strengths:
- Maniacal pushing in the later levels. I think this is also one of the main reasons that I like S&G's. You only have to be and should be patient for so long and then you can let her rip! And even though I do sometimes flame in the early levels, my discipline and patience have grown dramatically the past few months.

What I'm going to work on next:
- I've read quite a bit about EV calculations and ICM calculations and I've never sat down to do this myself. Time to figure this out and improve my bubble play by doing so.
- Invest in some poker simulation and data tracking tools. I've never used pokertracker or programs such as eastbays S&G analyzer. What type of leaks will these progams find in my game I wonder?
- I think I'm going to add a 3rd table to my next batch of 500 tournies and try to pay more attention to the games while I'm playing. I wonder if I was on the positive or negative side of variance for this batch of 500? And do I really want to add a 3rd table to confound my data sets?

That's all I've got for now. Maybe I'll also start posting hand histories in the future. But if I don't, I'll still be reading this forum on a daily basis. Keep up the good work guys and gals.

Mike
(michw) on partypoker

Patriarch
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I like your % of 1st places. Great ROI too.

stupidsucker
04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
good results for 500. Your ITM looks good, but dont get too attached to your RoI yet.

If money is your goal then I recomend moving to at least 3 tables.

FishBurger
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Nice work. Pass the bong.

Seadood228
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds like we have some of the same strengths/weaknesses, except my ROI is a little south of there.

Nice job.