PDA

View Full Version : subletting a house

imported_stealthcow
04-08-2005, 08:25 PM
me and some friends found a very nice, newly renovated house for rent, but we have to do a 16 month lease on it. because none of the 4 guys are going to live in toronto this summer, we sort of need to sublet if we're gonna live there. but this place is pimp - close to campus/ cheap/ newly painted

is subletting really hard to do- esp within a few weeks?

any advice on getting it sublet ? (just post signs everywhere ?)

thanks

stealthcow-

bholdr
04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
first, go online and find all the applicable laws that apply- the renters protection statutes are usually a city thing, but there are probably a bunch of statewide laws too.

then, you have to gt a professional to draw up a sublet aggreement. many of the laws that i just mentioned are designed to protect tenents from unfair/ unscruplus landlords, but they end up helping bad renters screw the owners/lessors.

Also, it's important to make sure that the lease that you're signing allows subletting. in most places if you sublet without written permission, you can kiss both your college house and your deposits goodbye.

additionally, i would get a big fat monster deposit from whoever i sublet too- one can be held liable for damage far above and beyond the ammount of a deposit, dso if you get a bunch of rowdies in there one night you could end up paying through the nose.

It's a complicated procedure, subletting, and is usually, IMO, -EV. however, if it's the only way you can get this cool house, it's up to you as to how to proceed.

One more thing, charge your tenents 50$ more a mont for rent than you pay, if that's legal/ contractually viable. why not make some more $$$, and the more a tenent pays for a place, the more they tend to respect it. girls are the way to go, here, they are cleaner and more respectfull, as well as generally being more responsible than their male contemporaries. Homosexuals, retirees, and contractors/ tradesmen tend to make excellent tenents as well.

I in the property managment feild, BTW, and this is one of the rare posts where i know what i'm talking about. do your homework before you do anything else, and you should be fine.

Corey
04-08-2005, 09:52 PM
As the above post said, you need to make sure you contractually obligate them to any damages they inflict. I had a buddy in college who got screwed over when he subletted his place for the summer.

If there's anyway you can sublet to a smaller group of girls, they're less likely to do major damage; they will put all kinds of holes in wall hanging [censored] up though.

Sponger15SB
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As the above post said, you need to make sure you contractually obligate them to any damages they inflict. I had a buddy in college who got screwed over when he subletted his place for the summer.

If there's anyway you can sublet to a smaller group of girls, they're less likely to do major damage; they will put all kinds of holes in wall hanging [censored] up though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Although if you're like any person I've ever known in college, you're gonna [censored] your house up anyways.

imported_stealthcow
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Although if you're like any person I've ever known in college, you're gonna [censored] your house up anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i plan on that, but this newly renovated place loops piiiimp.

anyways, thanks for all the responses, asking about this here has been + ev (i will be allowed to sublet the house as much as i want)