PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miller's ShortHanded Article

Dave H.
04-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I understood that I need to defend the big blind position more in shorthanded games, but after reading and rereading, I just don't grasp the reason behind it. Why is my equity better in a shorthanded game when a single person raises and everyone folds than it is when a single person raises and everyone folds in a ten handed game?

I have this awful feeling that I just asked a stupid question, but OH WELL!

Could someone explain please??

Stork
04-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Because the persons raising standards are lower in a short-handed game, so whatever your holding has better equity against his total range of raising hands.

EasilyFound
04-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Can someone post a link to the article if one exists?

Dave H.
04-09-2005, 11:40 PM
There's no link...the article is in the current (April) Two Plus Two Internet Magazine. The link to the magazine is in the upper left corner of your screen.

Michael Davis
04-10-2005, 02:20 AM
One of the big reasons you fold something like A7o in the BB from an early position raise is the serious threat of being dominated or having only three outs to a good pair. Because your opponents' raising standards in shorthanded play (and from late position in a full game to a lesser extent) are very liberal, the threat of domination and being against a premium hand are strongly reduced. Thus, playing many more hands becomes correct. This is all in Ed's article.

-Michael

Dave H.
04-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Thank you...I see now...I wasn't equating these ideas with equity, but now I understand.

dansalmo
04-14-2005, 01:09 PM
http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/miller0405.html