PDA

View Full Version : Meh Question

istewart
04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
For a fairly average guy, who maybe weighs around 160, how high above water does he have to be for it to start causing serious damage/pain for him to do a belly flop?

swede123
04-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm a pussy, so it'd take about a ten foot belly flop to cause serious pain. To actually do some damage, on the other hand, would probably require a fall from 50 feet or higher.

Swede

istewart
04-08-2005, 06:32 PM
What are the basic things that start to happen? What if you did it from 70-80 feet?

eric5148
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the basic things that start to happen? What if you did it from 70-80 feet?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell us. Do it, and then post pics.

Lazymeatball
04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
first define what you mean by "serious damage/pain" prefereably in units of force, or impact, or pressure or something. Probably has something to with momentum. After that calculate the velocity neccessary to cause such an impact upon contact with water, I guess taking into account the amount of energy diffused by some displacement of the water. After that you're just a simple kinetic equation away from using the acceleration due to gravity constant to find your starting height.

ps. I'm sure this could be cleaned up and refined by someone more familiar with kinetics. But first you have to start clearly defining your query.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess, you'd end up getting internal/external bruising as you went higher.

The surface tension of water is such that it's going to be like falling onto a solid surface once you get high enough

istewart
04-08-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess, you'd end up getting internal/external bruising as you went higher.

The surface tension of water is such that it's going to be like falling onto a solid surface once you get high enough

[/ QUOTE ]

So, as you went higher (let's say you didn't do a belly flop for this, and just jumped feet first), you would start to break bones?

ethan
04-08-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, as you went higher (let's say you didn't do a belly flop for this, and just jumped feet first), you would start to break bones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Freakin
04-08-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you would probably be knocked unconscious as well, so you'd drown (not that you would want to try swimming with a bunch of broken bones)

Freakin

WEASEL45
04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Mythbusters did a show on this. i forget how high the dummy was but all his limbs and stuff were breaking. they said you would definitely die. i think it was like 80 feet.

siccjay
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
I think it may be a little higher to where you would be dead for sure.

I've jumped from about 30 feet or so, its pretty intense.

bholdr
04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
looked like it hurt like hell. the guy couldn't walk right for a week- he kept gagging uncontrollably, his chest was beet red like a really bad sunburn, etc. NOT reccomended.

on another note, i've jumped from about 80 feet into water. after about 40 or so, it becomes important to wear shoes. not that it really hurts, but sometimes you may land flat footed and it feels like getting the bottom of your feet caned.

Dead
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
It's interesting to see the clips where they show professional divers [censored] up their dives and hitting the water at really bad angles.

istewart
04-08-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting to see the clips where they show professional divers [censored] up their dives and hitting the water at really bad angles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

Dead
04-08-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen them on the internet. I've just seen them on those funny sports bloopers that they show on ESPN occasionally.

I'm sure others on here have seen them before.

When you are diving from as high as up as those people are, your dive has to be damned near perfect, or else it's going to hurt like a mother.

bholdr
04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
hurt like hell, over rotated a gainer and the impact snapped my head back like getting rear ended. the slap onto the water left me seeing stars and my head ringing for about a minute.

i don't do gainers anymore.

bholdr
04-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I think the biggest jump into water that i've ever personally wittneseed was about 120 ft off a train trestle that we were putting a rope swing on. the idea was to have a fun ride and then drop off the end of the rope after the swingin was done- the rope was 90ft long, the drop from it about 30. crazy dude tied the rope onto the underside of the trestle and then just dropped insetad of climbing back up. no bellyflop, of course, just a straight drop- and the dude was wearing hiking boots and was fully clothed. he was fine. we were shi**ing our pants.

jakethebake
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I've done maybe 25 feet. Anything above that I'd love to hear about.

partygirluk
04-08-2005, 10:22 PM
I did a 40 ft jump and was fine.