PDA

View Full Version : im losing faith (in agressive play)

Noodles
04-08-2005, 04:54 PM
since getting Ed millers book and getting more agressive ive definetly been losing more,the only thing that makes money for me are bonuses,
i got slaughtered tonite,they will just call down with any bit of the flop, keep getting sucked out,
i cant protect my hands or cr the pfr to clean up outs or anything like that,they just keep calling down and sucking me out,
dont get me wrong ,im not afraid of playing agressive,but when you keep constantly losing money it gets to you,

Isnt agressiveness more suited to higher limits,im just losing faith in it and im getting more passive every day,itll soon be at the stage where i wont raise AA preflop as i sick of getting it cracked.

I know this is the usual "ive had a bad night" moan,but this has been happening to me every since i bought that bloody book /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Grisgra
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i got slaughtered tonite,they will just call down with any bit of the flop, keep getting sucked out

[/ QUOTE ]

You should know better than to put money into the pot when you're ahead. Dumbass . . .

Rubeskies
04-08-2005, 05:17 PM
varience

it's what makes poker profitable

if the fish couldn't win sometimes, they wouldn't play

Silverback
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I have had similar problems, bought on by learning from the forum to always open raise.

It made me too aggressive on the flop and turn, and also to readable as I bet on auto, so they could check raise me on a good hand.

All you have to do is slow down a bit and think,

If the hand you raised with is still the best keep going,
but if you hit weak 2nd pair, overcards etc, slow down and think what your bet and raise will actually achieve based on the players and number of players who remain in the pot,

4 in a pot, u have overcards AQ, sure one of the others has hit a pair and getting odds to carry on, or play there draws etc

Since slowing down a bit, Ive improved, folding when im sure im beat,

learning when its right to fold on the flop are you raised pre flop will be important,
the turn could just bring more trouble, but thats an easier place to fold anyway.

By folding on the flop, I mean, say your first to at, dont always auto bet, check, and if pots been raised by time its come back to you, your less likely to continue had you bet, got called and then raised,

Well, im not an expert, still very much on learning curve, but similar changes to above have helped me out no end.

Alobar
04-08-2005, 05:23 PM
A lot of people who complain about aggresive play not working, are putting their aggression in the wrong spots, which is prolly the case here. Keep re reading that book as I think maybe u just are miss aplying concepts as from your post it sounds like you dont have the most solid grasp on poker (im not trying to be a dick here). Post more hands where you feel you played it right aggreesively but the fish still just called down in.

Aggresion wins money at all levels of poker, not just the higher limits

mperich
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Im gaining faith in aggressive play. Over my last 10k hands Ive moved from about 24/14.5 -> 26/18 preflop. Also my postflop aggression has increased slightly too. So far I think its helped my game a lot, and not just my winrate, but I see a lot more marginal decisions postflop, and am forced to think a lot more.

-Mike

helpmeout
04-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Dumb aggression doesnt work, everyone just calls you down because they know how you play.

Its like folding when a calling station bets, you calldown a predictable LAG.

You shouldnt even be playing 6max having only just read SSH, its pretty much a beginners book.

Wait until you have a bit more knowledge and experience under your belt before you start playing higher variance and more player dependant games.

Noodles
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
good to know who the good guys are and who the jerks are /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Ive taken on the advice and yes im probably being over agressive in the wrong spots,ill have to work on this.
one problem i may have is betting 2nd,3rd pair into 2 players on dodgy boards thinking "ah theyll call with anything ,thyy could have 22 ,33",ill try toning this down a bit,

Noodles
04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
yea im probably getting too results orientated and being agressive in wrong spots alright,
like the hand i posted yesterday,where i reraised the guy on the river with top 2 pair,he hit his 6 to make a set,i thought i played it right and you said so too,it just really annoyed me after being rivered for the zillionth time that day /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ill try to keep faith /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Noodles
04-09-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By folding on the flop, I mean, say your first to at, dont always auto bet, check, and if pots been raised by time its come back to you, your less likely to continue had you bet, got called and then raised,

[/ QUOTE ]

yea good advise,ill do more of this,im definetly auto betting too much,thx

Grisgra
04-09-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
good to know who the good guys are and who the jerks are /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Ive taken on the advice and yes im probably being over agressive in the wrong spots,ill have to work on this.
one problem i may have is betting 2nd,3rd pair into 2 players on dodgy boards thinking "ah theyll call with anything ,thyy could have 22 ,33",ill try toning this down a bit,

[/ QUOTE ]

I was only mean because I knew you were going to misspell my name /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Seriously, though, it's one thing to ask whether you're too aggressive, it's another to whine that you're being aggressive appropriately, but they're calling down with inferior hands and then spiking something to beat you on the river. This is not cause for serious complaint . . . though given how much it happened to me at the end of last session (flopped set/trips lost or chopped with runner-three times due to runner/runner), I can understand it's annoying.

einbert
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Your attitude is a classic symptom of a really bad downswing.

You should probably take some time off, do some other stuff besides poker, but keep playing. Try to keep playing aggressively. Once you get through to downswing/breakeven stretch and start winning it will be easy to continue the aggressive winning ways (they are really what gets the money in the long run).

Noodles
04-10-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not cause for serious complaint . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe not,but no need to insult me either.
Someone that responds to a post calling the poster a dumbass,well... as i said now i know who the jerks are

Soul Rebel
04-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Another thing to think about is out-of position (or even in-position) bluffing. Heads up against a passive opponent, a lot of the time is seems feasible to push him off his bottom pair if you keep firing with your unimproved AK or whatever. But a lot of these guys simply won't fold their bottom pair or unimproved 22 even after your river bet. The key is watching their show downs so you can figure out who will fold and who will not. I used to do this a lot at 2/4 and 3/6, and its a big chip burner, especially out of position. Also pay attention to their WTSD numbers to see how many hands they're showing down, but remember you need a big sample size for this. Don't bluff against players who won't fold. Instead, wait until you have a decent hand and value bet them to death if they'll call down with garbage. You need lesser hands for this, since they'll call with lesser hands. These are some of the most profitable opponents out there, just realize that to get their money, you have to adjust a little.

Bill Smith
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not,but no need to insult me either.
Someone that responds to a post calling the poster a dumbass,well... as i said now i know who the jerks are

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the sarcasm in Grisgra's post... I don't think he was intending to be offensive