PDA

View Full Version : My plan (WARNING: bankroll thread)

madscout
04-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Last month I bought poker tracker and rededicated myself to improving my game. I ran really well and inflated my $100 BR to $1600 playing PP $25NL and PP $50NL in about 10k hands. I then began running bad and took some shots at $100NL to recover (dumb!) I dropped all the way back down to $500. Reality check time! I have decided I need to define clear rules about how I will proceed through the various levels according to my bankroll.

Here is what I have so far:

$25 tables until BR = 1000
$50 tables until BR = 2000
$100 tables until BR = 5000

If at any point I drop more than 10 buy-ins below the starting level I move back down a level.

I think my risk of ruin is very low with this approach, and I also think that dropping 10 buy-ins should be a clear indicator that I'm not ready for that particular level... is ten too small a number? I also think always having 20 to 40 buy-ins in my bankroll will allow me to play aggresively without any fear of getting stacked.

On another note, part of my problem was that by jumping around three different levels I was constantly adjusting my play because the average players at each level are so different. Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

On a bankroll building mission,
madscout

sourbeaver
04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
As far as being ready for the next level .. it does not reside so much in the size of your BR as it does in your confidence/feeling when you are playing at that particular higher level.

I would much rather be confident in my dominance or at least great ease at a given level before moving up then looking at my BR for indications.

I still play 6-max at the NL50-NL100 level and my bankroll is more than adequate for NL400. I just don't feel as comfortable playing my style at higher levels yet.

DrPublo
04-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Agreed. The emphasis should not be as much on growing your bankroll as it should be on playing properly and continually learning. The roll will get there.

Don't move up until you have 25k+ hands at a level saying you're beating it consistently. That's a minimum.

The Doc

SirFWALGMan
04-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I have talked to alot of people and there main regret was not moving up quicker. I have been playing 100/NL on a 1200 bankroll. Yeah, it does not cover a bad swing, but I am willing to drop down if I lose a few buyins. I would even go back to 25/NL if I lost down to 300-400. It really is how comfortable you feel at the level, and do you play your game at that level. I have not seen a whole lot of difference in the skill level of players between 25/NL and 100/NL. There are more good players at 100/NL than 25/NL, but there are just as many people who are not very good.