PDA

View Full Version : Pool players

STLantny
04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I suck at pool, and want to learn how to play, i bought some bob byrds's vids today, and a decent but not to expensive stick, to pracitce a lot. Anyone have a Twoplustwo of pool site? or any reccomendations/tips?

Allan
04-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Take a lesson to get the fundamentals. That'll give you more than enough to get going. See if there is a BCA instructor on your neck of the woods. The forum I peek in on from time to time is the one at billiardsdigest.com. If you pop in there see if Scott Lee might be in your area in the near future. He's a teacher that travels around the country.

Allan

HDPM
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
As Allan said, get some instruction. I would very strongly recommend a BCA certified one. Depends where you are, I suppose, but as Allan said, Scott Lee is one of the best and will travel to you. Learning the fundamentals early on and right will make things better. Also, there is some debate about what to teach. Scott Lee and a group of similar thinking guys teach a simpler method that I think is better for most. They work on a stroke with no elbow drop that is repeatable. I am a mediocre player and wish I had good instruction starting out. Scott Lee has helped my game though. I have a better idea of what to do. billiards digest.com and azbilliards are the forums I check out.

Pechauer Tour event this weekend. I am dead money baby. I hope I will get to rack for some good players. I don't want my 2 and out to be to average players. My goal is to have one OK runout in each defeat. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JPotMaster
04-08-2005, 04:54 PM
http://www.easypooltutor.com/

codewarrior
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
playpool.com

rec.sport.billiard

(alt.sport.pool is the OOT of r.s.billiard)

codewarrior
04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Also, get someone to videotape your stroke. You will be amazed (and/or disgusted).

bholdr
04-08-2005, 09:22 PM
find the bar with the best players, find the best stick in the place, and pick his brain constantly.

then, play every day for like a year, you'll get pretty good pretty quick.

I'm not a seroius player, but i can hang with te best sticks at the local pubs (which isn't saying much, i admit). all it took was about 2000 games played and a whole assload of quarters.

tbach24
04-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Pracitce, practice, practice. Last year all there was to do at my school was play pool, so that's what I did and I got really good.

MHarris
04-08-2005, 10:54 PM
The first thing you ought to do is find a good instructor. Your name indicates you might be from the St. Louis area; if you are, Mark Wilson is excellent. He owns a room in the St. Louis/Southern Ill. area called Billiards Bullpen. If not, there are a bunch more to be found on www.bca-pool.com. (http://www.bca-pool.com.)

I'd say the two best pool websites to visit are billiardsdigest.com and azbilliards.com. Both have forums with plenty of knowledgeable posters.

Once you get your feet wet and have solid mechanics, you might want to check out Bert Kinister's DVD's (www.bertkinister.com). They're a little expensive, but your game will improve drastically when you do his practice routines.

Leo99
04-09-2005, 12:21 AM
You can't get good at pool off the internet. The only way is to play. Lessons can help. You need to play in a good pool room where good players shoot. You'd be surprised how much there is to learn about proper position. The touch, feel and proper speed only comes with a lot of playing. When you can run the table in 8 ball or 9 ball every now and then (maybe every 10th to 20th game like I can do) you need to realize that you still suck. When you can beat all your friends and hang with the good sticks in bars, unless your friends or the bar is phenomenal, you still suck. It's easy to become a decent pool player, it's a lot of work to get to the next level.