PDA

View Full Version : Worst book for tournament play?

Frazz
04-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi a regular in my home game has asked what book to get to help them in our Pot Limit Texas Holdem Tournament. I was wondering which book may be the least helpfull?

Any ideas? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jojobinks
04-08-2005, 08:39 AM
hellmuth's ppltp

Hold'me
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hellmuth's ppltp

[/ QUOTE ]
Rofl. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
CPL&NLHE. Buy it for him yourself. Then laugh.

willie
04-08-2005, 01:34 PM
help him get better, at least he wants to learn. don't sabotage him.

maurile
04-08-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering which book may be the least helpfull?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown.

Freakin
04-08-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering which book may be the least helpfull?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done.

Freakin

MicroBob
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
incredibly...some of Hellmuth's tourney advice in that book isn't so bad (particularly compared with his limit cash-game advice).

I would recommend Cloutier's Championship PL and NL HE book as having even worse advice.

The DaVinci code comment was fairly amusing though too.

If the guy is a true imbecile then you could recommend something like HEFAP or SSHE. There seem to be a number of people who read this books on limit hold-em and try to convert some of the non-transferrable advice to their tourney game.

Then again, if he's really that stupid you could probably recommend HOH or TPFAP or even TOP and he still wouldn't get it.

jojobinks
04-09-2005, 02:46 AM
some of ppltp isn't bad for tournies. but it doesn't give much for a beginner to use. it talks about DN and huck and suited connectors, but not really anything to anchor it to, for a noob. it talks about being aggressive on the bubble, but not really how to get there.

what i remember in my one, disgusted read of it...

PokrLikeItsProse
04-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Cloutier's book has been cited as useful by several people who have made it deep into the WSOP, including Jim MacManus and Matt Dean. It may not be the best book, but it's not useless. It's more useful for certain types of players, who are inclined to play conservatively. It's less useful for players who favor a more active style.

I do find it worth my time to go back to when I think I've been overactive in the early stages of a tournament and I need to re-instill discipline.

Frazz
04-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks, I think Phils's got it. His book BBaLD is the only poker book i've bought and not read. The player in question is already fearlessly LAG'y. This may indeed be the cure.

TheNoodleMan
04-09-2005, 04:52 PM
is there any doubt that PPLTP is the worst poker book on the shelves?
the worst thing about it is the title. Like the Pros? My ass!

npc
04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there any doubt that PPLTP is the worst poker book on the shelves?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a big fan of the book, but there are MUCH worse books on the shelves.

antifish225
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I have to agree, I have read most of the books on the market and the Hellmuth book by far has the worst advice i have ever read - his advice on limit cash games is horrific, if you only read that book and knew nothing else you would be -3/BB/HR player for the rest of your life (the advice that sticks out is the three betting Axs out of position to find out where you are at......)