PDA

View Full Version : A5 sooted Against a Loosie Goosie

toss
04-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

UTG is 77/0/0, calls down with any two cards, seriously. Any hand hes in I want to be in!

Flop: (4 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

It checked to me.

Turn: (3 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

I'm headsup with happy fish and my Ace high may be good.

River: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Value bet?

Final Pot: 5 BB

ArturiusX
04-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I'd raise preflop if your read is correct. Isolate and take the blinds.

I like the value bet.

k000k
04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
A player pairs up with the boar ~1/2 the time, with the board pair, that brings his chances down a little, so A-hi on this particular board would win slightly more than 50% of the time. If you're absolutely positive he'll call with ANY holding, then a value bet is probably +EV. You're saying you've NEVER seen this guy fold once he's in? His WtSD=%flops seen? And his AF=0?? Yikes.. It's close, I probably check it anyway, you can't have too huge a sample on this guy or he'd be broke by now!

Edit: ArturiusX is right about that PF raise too btw, missed that..

toss
04-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah I should've raised PF. It seemed kinda too aggressive to me at that time.

ArturiusX
04-08-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probability says I have to fluke out one correct post occasionally /images/graemlins/cool.gif

@bsolute_luck
04-08-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probability says I have to fluke out one correct post occasionally /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] hahaha! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif what's funny, is that's the first thing i said as i read his post- "why didn't you raise?"

is betting the river for value? if he's calling down, betting isn't going to fold him and he has apparently no backbone to bet, so i think checking behind.

GrunchCan
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Taking A5s against 2 or 3 opponents sucks. You want either a crowd or just 1 opponent. For this reason, either raise PF or just muck &amp; wait for the next hand.

I don't see much point in betting A-high in to 3 opponents on the flop. You don't have a hand, and you dont have much of a draw. The board is somewhat coordinated, so that your opponents likely have outs. The pot is small, so protection is less important. Just check here &amp; see what the turn brings.

Redd
04-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Disclaimer: I'm being GrunchCan's bitch and posting in the dark.

I'm a little uneasy about betting into 4 players with one weak overcard and a BD-flush, in a 4 SB pot. If you're trying to isolate the passhole, why not raise preflop instead?

As for the river situation, I think my SSHE conditioning would kick in and I'd check behind. Even the looseie goosie's range includes many hands that beat you. While I'm not certain, it doesn't seem like you have much of an equity edge to push.

Despos
04-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Why not bet the river. Ive found many will check/call all the way down looking for that miracle card on the river. Looks to me like a river bet would've induced a fold.

k000k
04-08-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the river. Ive found many will check/call all the way down looking for that miracle card on the river. Looks to me like a river bet would've induced a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 rule of river betting: ONLY bet when you'll win at least 1/2 the time when called. Inducing a fold, that risks 1bb for no gain. And you can't induce a fold anyway, this guy calls anything. Most players won't call unless they beat you, so under normal circumstances, this would be a terrible river bet. This particular player NEVER folds, he'll pay you off with unimproved garbage hands. That's the only reason you'd possibly want to bet here. If you thought he'd fold 10% of the time, it's probably -EV to bet. You have to be sure he'll call with ANYTHING before this is +EV.

numeri
04-08-2005, 11:09 AM
[Replying without reading other posts - grunching]

Wow - I couldn't bet that flop. Or the turn. Am I that weak? I mean, our kicker doesn't play on the turn, so we're only beating unpaired cards not including an A.

I can see the reasoning based on the read, but I guess I'm not sure how often this needs to work. I couldn't do it.

tiltaholic
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
grunching again:

hate the flop bet into 3 people.
if the blinds were tight enough to make you even consider a flop bet, you should have raised preflop to begin with. and while we're on the subject, you must raise this preflop (assuming CO and button can be counted on to fold), or i wouldn't play. why give the blinds a free (or discounted) flop when you want to be against the pathological caller?

turn bet i like.
river, i usually chicken out here and check through. although i think he might call down a lot of hands that didn't improve (that you beat), he's not really calling down every hand (is he?)...

Despos
04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
You just said that he would call with anything and that the only way it would be +EV is if he called with anything. Isn't that why we are betting here? Because on average he'll call with nothing?

Sasnak
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
If my goal is to target the Loosie here I'm inclined to raise preflop. Especially if I have any image at all on the blinds. What's your line if one or both of the blinds called?

toss
04-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah I should've raised PF. I had a tight table image (if they were paying attention at all) and my bet would've looked a lot better if I was HU with the fish.

The fish turns over J3 offsoot.

flopwell
04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I agree PF-fold or muck. However, on the flop, it is checked to hero. Don't you think he has a chance with a bet to isolate superdonk?