PDA

View Full Version : EARLY CHIP LEAD???

Alpha Fhish
04-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Hello. I am posting here about an MTT because there is no one intelligent on that forum. Maybe people just dont like me there or something. Because i get no intelligent posts or discussions. Ok here is my question: I have an early chip lead (~7500) with blinds at 25/50 at a 10+1 MTT. Average stack is ~2500. Do I keep up my tight play or start making some moves?

-Fhish

Donating
04-08-2005, 04:31 AM
Quite honestly, it depends on your style of play. If you are good at raising a lot, playing big pots, and most importantly playing and reading well after the flop - then you can open up your game. If you play a much tighter game, then going this route may get you into trouble. Having a big chip lead allows you to stick to your original game plan, but have much more time to find hands.

Some people are great at bullying the table when they have a big chip lead and others seem to give it right back by getting into bad situations. You have to figure out what type of player you are. Like everything in poker, it depends.

spentrent
04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I'd play more like it was a regular ring game in that I'd still play tight pre-flop BUT I'd make myself aware of the players I feel I can isolate and outplay post-flop.

When I have an average stack, I'm far less likely to make isolation plays with marginal hands because one mistake could cripple me.

Take that advice with a grain of salt though since my STT-to-MTT ratio approaches infinity /images/graemlins/wink.gif. But what did you expect when you came in here? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

KazUK
04-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I would say to keep up your tight play. You dont want to risk making moves at this level, the blinds are small so the pots arent going to be that big. Keep up your tight play winning pots if you come across the starting hands you play. When the blinds go up there is more insentive to start making moves as the pots will be larger. There is no point risking chips when the blinds are so small.