PDA

View Full Version : A Murder In Progress At Hospice LaGrange

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 03:03 AM
An 81-year-old woman: NOT comatose, NOT terminally ill, NOT in a vegetative state--is being starved/dehydrated to death--in direct contradiction to her living will--right now at Hospice Lagrange.

"In a situation recalling the recent death of Terri Schiavo in Florida, an 81-year-old widow, denied nourishment and fluids for nearly two weeks, is clinging to life in a hospice in LaGrange, Ga., while her immediate family fights desperately to save her life before she dies of starvation and dehydration.

Mae Magouirk was neither terminally ill, comatose nor in a "vegetative state," when Hospice-LaGrange accepted her as a patient about two weeks ago upon the request of her granddaughter, Beth Gaddy, 36, an elementary school teacher.

Also upon Gaddy's request and without prior legal authority, since March 28 Hospice-LaGrange has denied Magouirk normal nourishment or fluids via a feeding tube through her nose or fluids via an IV. She has been kept sedated with morphine and ativan, a powerful tranquillizer.

Her nephew, Ken Mullinax, told WorldNetDaily that although Magouirk is given morphine and ativan, she has not received any medication to keep her eyes lubricated during her forced dehydration.

"They haven't given her anything like that for two weeks," said Mullinax. "She can't produce tears."

The dehydration is being done in defiance of Magouirk's specific wishes, which she set down in a "living will," and without agreement of her closest living next-of-kin, two siblings and a nephew: A. Byron McLeod, 64, of Anniston, Ga.; Ruth Mullinax, 74, of Birmingham, Ala.; and Ruth Mullinax's son, Ken Mullinax.

Magouirk's husband and only child, a son, are both deceased.

In her living will, Magouirk stated that fluids and nourishment were to be withheld only if she were either comatose or "vegetative," and she is neither. Nor is she terminally ill, which is generally a requirement for admission to a hospice.

Magouirk lives alone in LaGrange, though because of glaucoma she relied on her granddaughter, Beth Gaddy, to bring her food and do errands.

Two weeks ago, Magouirk's aorta had a dissection, and she was hospitalized in the local LaGrange Hospital. Her aortic problem was determined to be severe, and she was admitted to the intensive care unit. At the time of her admission she was lucid and had never been diagnosed with dementia.

Claiming that she held Magouirk's power of attorney, Gaddy had her transferred to Hospice-LaGrange, a 16-bed unit owned by the same family that owns the hospital. Once at the hospice, Gaddy stated that she did not want her grandmother fed or given water.

"Grandmama is old and I think it is time she went home to Jesus," Gaddy told Magouirk's brother and nephew, McLeod and Ken Mullinax. "She has glaucoma and now this heart problem, and who would want to live with disabilities like these?"

Gaddy's telephone is not in operation and she could not be reached for comment.

According to Mullinax, his aunt's local cardiologist in LaGrange, Dr. James Brennan, and Dr. Raed Agel, a highly acclaimed cardiologist at the nationally renowned University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center, determined that her aortic dissection is contained and not life-threatening at the moment.

Mullinax also states that Gaddy did not hold power of attorney, a fact he learned from the hospice's in-house legal counsel, Carol Todd.

On March 31, Todd told Ruth and Ken Mullinax during a phone conversation Georgia law stipulated that Ruth Mullinax and her brother, A.B. McLeod, were entitled to make any and all decisions for Magouirk. Ruth Mullinax immediately told Todd to begin administering food and fluids through an IV and a nasal feeding tube.

Todd had the IV fluids started that evening, but informed the family that they would have to come to the hospice to sign papers to have the feeding tube inserted. Once that was done, Magouirk would not be able to stay at the hospice.

Ken Mullinax recalled that Todd said the only reason Magouirk was in the hospice in the first place was that the LaGrange Hospital had failed to exercise due diligence in closely examining the power of attorney Beth Gaddy said she had, as well as exercising the provisions of Magouirk's living will.

Todd explained that Gaddy had only a financial power of attorney, not a medical power of attorney, and Magouirk's living will carefully provided that a feeding tube and fluids should only be discontinued if she was comatose or in a "vegetative state" – and she was neither.

Gaddy, however, was not dissuaded. When Ken Mullinax and McLeod showed up at the hospice the following day, April 1, to meet with Todd and arrange emergency air transport for Magouirk's transfer to the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center, Hospice-LaGrange stalled them while Gaddy went before Troup County, Ga., Probate Court Judge Donald W. Boyd and obtained an emergency guardianship over her grandmother.

Under the terms of his ruling, Gaddy was granted full and absolute authority over Magouirk, at least for the weekend. She took advantage of her judge-granted power by ordering her grandmother's feeding tube pulled out, just hours after it had been inserted.

Georgia law requires that a hearing for an emergency guardianship must be held within three days of its request, and Magouirk's hearing was held April 4 before Judge Boyd. Apparently, he has not made a final ruling, but favors giving permanent guardianship power to Gaddy, who is anxious to end her grandmother's life.

Ron Panzer, president and founder of Hospice Patients Alliance, a patients' rights advocacy group based in Michigan, told WND that what is happening to Magouirk is not at all unusual.

"This is happening in hospices all over the country," he said. "Patients who are not dying – are not terminal – are admitted [to hospice] and the hospice will say they are terminally ill even if they're not. There are thousands of cases like this. Patients are given morphine and ativan to sedate them. If feeding is withheld, they die within 10 days to two weeks. It's really just a form of euthanasia."

Ken Mullinax does not want that to happen to his aunt. He pointed out that one of the ironies in this tragedy is that the now-helpless woman worked for years as a secretary for a prominent local cancer doctor.

"She devoted her whole life to helping those who heal others, and now she's being denied sustenance for life," he said.

Mullinax said he has begged Gaddy to let him take on full responsibility for his aunt's care.

"If she would just give us a chance to keep Aunt Mae alive, that's all we ask," he said. "They [Beth and her husband, Dennis Gaddy] have a family and Beth is a teacher, and it was just getting to be a lot of trouble. But I'm the caregiver for my mom, and Aunt Mae could move in with us. We'll buy another house with a bedroom and we'll take care of her. She can move in with us once she can leave the hospital."

But her health becomes more precarious by the hour. Her vital signs are still good, but since admission to hospice she has not been lucid – "but who would be since nourishment and fluids have been denied since March 28," Mullinax remarked.

Attorney Carol Todd could not be reached for comment; a message on her voicemail said she would not be gone the entire week of April 4. Hospice-LaGrange did not return phone calls. "

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43688

BCPVP
04-08-2005, 03:16 AM
And you wonder why diability groups were opposed to the execution of Terri Schiavo... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

This part struck me:
[ QUOTE ]

"This is happening in hospices all over the country," he said. "Patients who are not dying – are not terminal – are admitted [to hospice] and the hospice will say they are terminally ill even if they're not. There are thousands of cases like this. Patients are given morphine and ativan to sedate them. If feeding is withheld, they die within 10 days to two weeks. It's really just a form of euthanasia."

[/ QUOTE ]

scary stuff....

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 03:28 AM
"Thursday, April 07, 2005
Please Help My Aunt Mae!

A guest update by Ken Mullinax.

Nothing is settled in this case until my Aunt Mae is given nourishment and fluids! This is far from settled and far from over. The doctors did not meet Monday...that is Bull!

They finally spoke on Wednesday and again today AND STILL NOTHING IS SETTLED OR DECIDED BETWEEN THEM. Every day they vacillate, my Aunt Mae grows weaker and closer to death.

Sure, we attended an emergency guardianship petition hearing before Judge Boyd on Monday, April 4. However, the Judge would barely allow our attorney, Jack Kirby, to speak and would not even allow our attorney to cross examine Mae Magourik's attending Physician, Dr. Stout, so as to ask the doctor if he would agree that there are alternative treatments to a dissected aorta which are not surgery (my Mom has had the same condition of a dissected aorta as her sister Mae and we know that Mae CAN BE successfully treated without surgery) but Probate Judge Boyd WOULD NOT allow our attorney to ask that question. Even though Beth Gaddy's forces state that the dissected aorta is the major reason they put her in Hospice.

So although we have a sort-of compromise, I am not holding out any hope especially since two of the three probate court appointed cardiologists are from the small clannish town of LaGrange, Ga.

This Judge has been NO HELP and has acted hostile and indifferent to our actions to keep my Aunt Mae alive. And what if the two LaGrange Ga. doctors rule against my Aunt? Should we just lay back and allow her to be WITHHELD NOURISHMENT AND FLUIDS? Heck No!!!

So although this Probate Judge is a slick talker, he has definitely not been on the side of life in this matter...however that is just my opinion. Judge Boyd has NEVER ATTENDED LAW SCHOOL yet he is a Probate Judge who has the power of life and death in these matters. But Ga. Law allows a probate judge to be a non lawyer and that is just not right. That issue is my next cause!!! So remember when you talk to this Judge Boyd...he is a slick politician...he runs for election...he may seem nice and say the right things however the one right thing he could say is that he is going to enforce Mae Magouirk's Living Will stipulations and make sure she has substantial nourishment and fluids to keep her alive....

Remember: MAE IS NOT TERMINAL...COMATOSE OR IN A VEGETATIVE STATE SO WHY IS JUDGE BOYD ALLOWING HER TO STAY IN HOSPICE???

In closing, examine the contradictions in Judge Boyd's own court writing which bears his signature. In Boyd's petition for the appointment of a temporary emergency guardian for my Aunt Mae, he writes, in "Probate Court Estate Ruling 138-05" the following:
"That a clear and substantial risk of death and or serious physical injury can occur to the proposed ward "Mae Magouirk" UNLESS she stays in HOSPICE at West Georgia Health Systems."

A RISK OF DEATH WILL OCCUR TO HER UNLESS SHE STAYS IN HOSPICE? Is he whacky or what??? Hospice is a home for the dying...Hospice is death. Who does he think he is fooling?? Now do you see what we are going against with this man and now do you she why I will not sit on my hands while these doctors he has appointed finally get around to acting.

EVERY DAY THESE DOCTORS WAIT TO DECIDE, MY AUNT MAE INCHES CLOSER TO DEATH!!!

Act now....I so need everyone to stay on these folks. The light of your involvement and public SCRUTINY will embarrass these folks who embrace the culture of death and thus will allow us to give Mae the proper medical care she deserves.

ACT NOW...KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THEM...DON'T FALL FOR THEIR PROPAGANDA. They want you to feel this is over....THE HELL IT IS!

Ken Mullinax
Nephew of Mae Magouirk"

http://straightupwsherri.blogspot.com/2005/04/please-help-my-aunt-mae_07.html

JoshuaD
04-08-2005, 06:55 AM
I'd take a gun and go in there and get my aunt. This is heart-breaking.

BCPVP
04-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm still confused as to how Gaddy holds power of attorney. Also, what good is a living will if it can be ignored willy-nilly?

Dead
04-08-2005, 04:29 PM
You're not a libertarian.

You're anti-choice and pro-war.

Maybe you're one of those small-L libertarians, or more likely just a REPUBLICAN pretending to be a Libertarian, because that's the chic thing to be these days. Socially liberal(except you're not) and fiscally conservative, oh goodie.

InchoateHand
04-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Ativan is a "powerful tranquilizer?"

Really, and here I was thinking it was classed as a sedative-hypnotic. Silly pharmacy school.

Powerful? Sure as powerful as anything else--ie, dose dependant.

So if a glaring, easily edited FACTUAL error is about a paragraph in, how am I supposed to read the breathless, sensationalized, and most likely heavily altered "news" that surrounds it.

You need to get better sources, and not believe everything/the first thing you read.

Dead
04-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Check out the source.

WorldNetDaily. This seems to be MMMMMM's new favorite source. I would wipe my ass with it, but the edges are too sharp.

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're anti-choice...

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about, Dead? Did you even read the article?

The woman LEFT A LIVING WILL. That Living Will expressed HER CHOICE. And now she is BEING KILLED AGAINST HER CHOICE, and AGAINST THE INSTRUCTIONS IN HER LIVING WILL.

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to get better sources, and not believe everything/the first thing you read.

[/ QUOTE ]

After searching the internet, I could not find anything to contradict this report or source.

If you can, please feel free to post it.

As a matter of fact, I could not find a great deal on the internet about this story at all. So the source selection is rather limited.

But you'd rather pick on some small detail than be concerned about a woman who is quite possibly being flat-out murdered--or about the statement by an outside advocate for a Patients' group that this sort of thing goes on not infrequently in hospices around the country.

Guess you and Dead are more agenda-driven/partisan than actually concerned about real things.

And by the way, the matrer of Mae Magouirk isn't even a partisan issue. It has low publicity. So you are both making a mistake to look at it in such a light.

BCPVP
04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Dead, weren't you the one who coined the phrase "no will, no kill"? Well, now there's a will and it say's don't kill, yet that's being ignored...

Dead
04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
IF the story is in fact true, then I agree that it is heinous.

But I have to doubt it because it is from a very, very unreliable source in WND.

If you can show me another story about it from a more credible source then I will be happy to read it.

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Check out the source.

WorldNetDaily. This seems to be MMMMMM's new favorite source. I would wipe my ass with it, but the edges are too sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead, I have not found major factual errors in their reporting (unlike NYT for instance). Nor have I found anything on the internet to contradict the gist of this report. HOWEVER all of that is fairly irrelevant.

You are looking at this in a partisan context, but a woman's life is at stake, and this situation is not being turned into a political football (as Terri Schiavo's situation sadly was, to some extent). Not a whole lot of people even know about this case.

You need to take off the tinted glasses and just start looking at things with a fresh aspect. This is important.

If living wills can be utterly disregarded, and if a lone judge can quickly appoint someone other than closest of kin to be guardian, someone who wants to euthanize an individual who is neither terminal, nor vegetative, nor comatose; then there may be something dangerously wrong in the system.

Try getting away from your partisan outlook for a moment and just look at this on the face of it. This is important stuff and unfortunately you are trivializing it by your attitude and remarks.

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Dead, you have little or no basis for calling WND "very, very unreliable", and even less basis for presuming this particular story is essentially false.

Just because WND takes a view on many things which you don't agree with, does not mean they fabricate entire stories out of the blue--especially not stories the facts of which are easily verifiable.

Jayson Blair did that. WND has never been found to do that. You simply have no valid basis to think this story is unlikely to be true (at least in the major salient matters--not talking nitpicking details here).

Dead
04-08-2005, 08:17 PM
MMMMMM, I do not mean to trivialize it.

I've asked you to show me another source. If this is such a huge deal with a lady being starved against her will, then surely there would be another source for it.

Facts are facts.

I did a quick Yahoo News search for the word LaGrange, and was only able to find two matches for it in the past week. One of them was the WND link, and the other was a link to a copy of the same WND article.

I don't see any major media picking up this story, and I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't. Not even Fox News.

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM, I do not mean to trivialize it.

I've asked you to show me another source. If this is such a huge deal with a lady being starved against her will, then surely there would be another source for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a longstanding news story like Terri Schiavo's case. This has all just happened in the last 2 weeks or less.

I tried Googling "Mae Magouirk" and just came up with a few blogs (pro-life blogs, natch, but who else seems to care?)

The names and facts in the story are verifiable. On the blogs are more names etc. and some more details, including names even of people who can be contacted as they might have the power to do something.

In the original article, the president of the Hospice Patients Alliance said that this is nothing new; thousands of similar cases are happening around the country (hopefully not all so heinous-seeming, heh). So maybe the major media just haven't picked up on it.

I really don't think both WND and the people on the blogs are just lying through their teeth. As I pointed out, all of this is verifiable information.

Dead
04-08-2005, 08:38 PM
The mainstream media covered the Terry Schiavo case 24/7 for like 2 and a half weeks.

I just find it really hard to believe that there is not even one other source about this that is not right-wing.

And I've already said that if this is true(and I do doubt it), then it is wrong. Clearly people who have wills that say they do not want this to happen should not be killed.

MelchyBeau
04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The mainstream media covered the Terry Schiavo case 24/7 for like 2 and a half weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was way longer than that. I believe they were talking about Schiavo during the summer.

Melch

Dead
04-08-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was way longer than that. I believe they were talking about Schiavo during the summer.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'm talking about the period in which they covered it 24/7. After the tube was removed, they covered it 24/7.

PhatTBoll
04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
It's on the front page of the LaGrange paper's website. (http://www.lagrangenews.com/)

Link to story (http://www.lagrangenews.com/new.php?StoryType=full)

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Well Dead I do agree it seems odd that other major news outlets apparently aren't covering it at all, given the gravity of the situation. I would like to read more about it. There just doesn't seem to be very much about it, in total, on the internet.

I don't think that implies that it is likely to be false, though, and given the verifiable aspects and the article + blog info. I think it is more likely to be largely true.

Thousands of people die in hospice every year I guess and I never heard about any particular case in the mainstream media except for the Schiavo case. Surely there have been other very controversial but lesser known cases, wouldn't you think?

Dead
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
PhatTBoll's source is decent, but it really doesn't go into detail about the living will.

It mentions it once and then ignores it for the rest of the piece, choosing to focus on other aspects of the case. Weird.

adanthar
04-08-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead, you have little or no basis for calling WND "very, very unreliable", and even less basis for presuming this particular story is essentially false.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this story about an 'upcoming Terri Schiavo movie'?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43617

Compare this April Fool's joke found here:

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/business/les-moonves/index.php#trade-roundup-cbs-rushes-terri-schiavo-biopic-into-production-037936

Are we done calling WND reliable yet?

(edit: They pulled the original story and ran this retraction, *four* days later http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43663 ...however, I think I've made my point.)

MMMMMM
04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
First link did not display a story.

Reading the last link, let's see: it appears you have found an isolated example. They were taken in by an April Fool's joke and apparently did not do sufficient due diligence prior to the story.

Some much bigger names in news have not done sufficient due diligence prior to running stories, and those were stories with much greater ramifications--does CBS ring a bell? I don't hear you or Dead claiming that "CBS is unreliable". How about the New York Times? Jayson Blair engaged in long-term fabrications in his journalism, complete fictions. Are you and Dead going to claim that NYT is unreliable? Should you?

Lots of news outlets have had to print retractions on occasion. It's not all that uncommon.

One, or even more than one, such errors, does not justify calling a source "very, very unreliable". However the long-term journalistic scam Jayson Blair managed to pull at the NYT just might justify such a criticism.

It's important to keep things in perspective.

Anyway, since the local paper in Lagrange has confirmed many of the salient details of the Mae Magouirk, how about we get back to the discussion at hand rather than continuing to meander down this side path?

I think it has been established that this is a real story; hopefully some more details will come out soon. Hopefully too, they won't succeed in murdering that poor old lady just because her granddaughter thinks "it is time for her to go see Jesus".

Broken Glass Can
04-11-2005, 10:11 AM
The good news is that this lady has been airlifted out of the Georgia death house and sent to the U of Alabama Hospital. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The killers have been thwarted in this case. But how many more potential killers are out there?

Dead
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't know.

Why don't you ask Eric Rudolph? He was saving lives by bombing that abortion clinic, don't cha know?

jakethebake
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Jesus christ, stop your over-sensationalizing bullshit.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus christ, stop your over-sensationalizing bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]