PDA

View Full Version : Two laydowns I made tonight

mike28
04-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Just wanting some input on some hands I layed down tonight. We have a pretty regular group of guys and we play small $5, $10 tournaments 3-4 times a week. One friend, who plays a ton online says it's easily as hard as the 110s online. We usually start with like 60 chips with 1/2 blinds.

First hand

Delt A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB. T54

UTG Folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, folded down to me, I check

Flop
K /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 checks, MP1 Checks, Hero Checks

Turn J /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG+1 bets 12, MP1 raises to 15 (All in), Hero Folds

River Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

I would have gotten paid off an insane amount. UTG+1 ended up having ATo, so the Jack /images/graemlins/club.gif was my dream card. I didn't feel like risking more than 1/5 my stack on making my backdoor flush...comments?

Second Hand.

Delt 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero Calls, UTG+1 raises to 8, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, folds to me, Hero calls

Flop 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 12, MP2 folds, Hero raises to 27, UTG+1 raises to 59 (all in), Hero Folds

He is a pretty agressive player, and loves to bluff. I put him on missed overs, so I raised. When he re-raised the alarms went off in my head. I sat and debated whether or not he thought I had squat and was making the big move (he loves to push, he lives by the quote "put the decision on the other player) I trusted my gut thought and folded. Turned out I was right and he had JJ. Turn was a 9 (Go figure) but I thought even if he has overs he has outs or I need a 9 with 2 cards left.

Thoughts, ideas?

utmt40
04-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Hand 1- I like the fold
Hand 2- I like the fold as well, you have think maybe you've run into a set or and over pair. Good plays just tough break.

infinite_loop
04-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I like the fold on the first hand. Not a good spot. With a nut flush draw, you want to be the aggressor if you can afford it, not calling the aggressor.

In the second hand, I like your raise most of the time. Your opponent has to feel pretty safe with JJ at that point (depends on his relative stack size) and might want to maximize it by using his position. In this case he might just call your raise on the flop and bet or raise the turn, getting you to possibly commit a lot more chips. If you see an overpair as a possibility you might just fold right there, or call and see how he plays the turn. If he's someone that doesn't slowplay a lot and probably wants to protect against overcards or he's betting overcards himself, your raise is perfect as information. This is probably the case most of the time. A re-raise from your opponent there is a huge red flag on a rag board, which I think should be pretty easy to get away from with 99. I guess this is really a read-dependant situation. Good job not getting carried away.

Benoit
04-08-2005, 02:55 PM
#1 was fine, you didn't have the proper odds to call.
#2 was a bad fold, you were getting at least 3.5 to 1 pot odds or better if he had you covered. It was possible he had an over pair too, but you said it was possible he was doing a reraise bluff. Not to mention if he had top pair and didn't think you could have an overpair. In the long run calling his all in would be good.