PDA

View Full Version : My venting about a hand misplayed

Daniel Zarchan
10-26-2002, 02:07 PM
I know that I really screwed this one up. I am hoping that I will feel better about it if I confess it to all of the world. I aint Christian, so this is the closest I get to confession.

3 handed $1/$2 NL HE.

Button opens for $7, I call with Qs 9s from the SB, and the BB calls. Button has around $200, I have like $250, and the BB has us covered. I know that some of you are probably go to throw a hissy fit about this call of mine, but I would rather that not be the focus of responses. 3 players, $21 in the pot. It should also be noted that there is a possibility that I have a tilted image, since I just lost a sizable pot to the button on the previous hand.

Flop: Qh Jc 3c . I dont really like leading on the flop, because there are so many hands that could raise me (both draws and made hands). With money left, I will have to fold to a raise, and I dont think thats a good scenario. I check. The BB also checks, and the button bets $21. I dont think I can check-raise here, because that would allow the button to raise all-in, which he might well do if he has a good draw, such as Ac10c or just AQ or better, because there are so many possible draws for me to have. Folding is reasonable, but I decide to call. To my surprise, the BB calls as well. I figure that the BB probably has a draw, but I have no idea which one of the many that are possible. 3 players, $84 in the pot.

Turn: 9h . This is where things start to get really sticky. If I check and the BB bets, I will have to fold, because he could have just made a straight. If I bet and the BB raises, I think that I have a safe fold (he could have Ac9c, but thats really the only hand I beat, and its just one combination). If I check, the BB checks, and the button bets, I have no idea what I should do. If I check, the BB checks, and the button checks, I will figure that I have the best hand, but there are a million cards that could kill me on the river, and another million that dont actually kill me but that will allow somehow to steal the pot from me. I bet $60. The BB folds, and the button raises all-in, costing me $128 to call. There is now $332 in the pot, and it costs me $128 to call, giving me about 2.6:1. Damn, I really think I should have folded. I count 33 ways for him to have a set, QJ, 108s, or K10, all of which I am getting crushed by. There are 2 ways for him to also have Q9s. There are 18 ways for him to have AA, KK, or TT, but I should discount those to like 6 ways, because its a lot less likely that he would push with those hands on the turn. There is one way for him to have AcQc and one way for Ac9c. That makes 33 bad scenarios to 9 good ones. Worse yet, I drawing super thin in the bad scenarios, and he has a fair number of outs in my good scenarios. Looks like a clear fold to me. God only knows why I called.

Despite beating up on myself a good bit here, I welcome others to join in the fun. All comments appreciated.

- Dan

10-26-2002, 03:03 PM
I think you have a real trap hand here. It seems pretty clear that by the turn your oppenent seems to have a real hand. Since he made a considerable bet on the flop, and he was the pre flop raiser, I think you haver to put him on a better queen or perhaps even an overpair. Even though you picked up the heart draw I think you have to give this one up. I dont necessarily think betting the turn was a bad idea, but once you get raised you can be pretty sure you have a lot of catching up to do when he goes all in.

Daniel Zarchan
10-26-2002, 04:46 PM
I think you must have misread the post. I did not pick up a heart draw, but I did pick up a second pair.

10-26-2002, 08:42 PM
As a simplification, say that your opponent will play a given hand this way with probability either zero or one. The question is how wide his range of hands has to be for your call to be correct. The following table contains the number of combinations for various hands and your pot equity against these hands as a fraction of the pot size. The hands appear in what seems a reasonable order from most to least likely to be played the way he did.

Hand Combinations Equity
KT 16 4/44
QQ 1 0/44
JJ 3 2/44
33 3 4/44
QJ 6 2/44
KQc 1 27/44
QTc 1 24/44
AQc 1 30/44
Q9c 1 17.5/44
T8 16 4/44
AA 6 36/44
KK 6 32/44
Q9 3 22/44
TT 6 34/44
A9c 1 32/44
Q8c 1 31.5/44
Qxc 5 34.5/44
AQ 7 38/44

Now, given the pot size and price to call, you need to be getting at least 28% in order for a call to be correct.
After some arithmatic, it turns out you are correct to call if you opponent's range of hands extend through at least tens, in which case your equity is about 30%. The real sticking point seems to come around the big pocket pairs. If you opponent only plays hands above those then you have at best about 13% equity, but if you opponent will play AA and KK this way then you are at least 25%.

This analysis is obviously very approximate, but I think the conclusion is reasonable. Your call was slightly good if your opponent will play AA and KK this way and quite bad otherwise.

TAFKAn
10-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Preflop call is fine. No problem.

You should have check-folded the flop.