PDA

View Full Version : Leave it alone??? (RE: Hand protection + Free card)

jrbick
04-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Both players are looking to be long-term LP (around 47/15 for both after 40ish hands)...

From a hand protection point of view, I've determined from SSHE that I probably should've left it alone since the pot was pretty small and the coordination wreaks on this flop... but I do end up buying a free card...

Question is, are my OC outs and weak F-draw enough to attempt a Protect/Free card play?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

KaiShin
04-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Hmm, how passive exactly are your opponents? Have you seen CO bet with top pair, or a straight draw?

If they are truly loose-passive, I'd just fold the flop. If they are capable of showing aggression with draws or more marginal hands, then I like the flop raise here.

jason1990
04-08-2005, 01:09 AM
With only 2 opponents, I don't like the raise from a protection standpoint. As for the free card, I don't think it's worth it. If you don't catch a spade, then you may be drawing very thin and if another straight card falls, you may be drawing dead. In other words, you may get a free card, but that free card may not be worth much.

That said, I think you've got the outs to call the flop bet.

jrbick
04-08-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, how passive exactly are your opponents? Have you seen CO bet with top pair, or a straight draw?

If they are truly loose-passive, I'd just fold the flop. If they are capable of showing aggression with draws or more marginal hands, then I like the flop raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

CO is a bit Laggy. He's basically betting w/ any piece. Likes to bluff A TON as well. Passive in that he's letting anyone showing strength lead the way for him. MP1 is quite timid with any holding, but usually at least calls down w/ something. He likes to check through his draws as much as possible.

numeri
04-08-2005, 01:19 AM
[Replying without reading other posts - grunching]

I think this is a perfect opportunity to use this play. As I understand the free card play, you use it in LP when you have enough outs to call. Here, you have ~4.5 outs (1.5 each for your OC and 1.5 for the BDFD) and 9.5:1 odds, so enough to call. You raise on the cheap street hoping for the free card on the expensive one.

Looks good to me. Nice hand.

Now I go look to see how wrong I am. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tijean
04-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Bet the turn. If it's checked to you on the river, bet again. They won't fold if you don't give them a reason.

Your flop raise tells CO his A6 (or 77) is beat. MP1 cold-calls this flop with what? A seven, A9, who knows.

Maybe you get called all the way down and lose - that's fine. That means they'll take a shot at you next time - when you're playing AA and not just overcards.

With your PFR, this pot is plenty big enough to go after. Checking the turn is weak, and guarantees you won't win this.