PDA

View Full Version : jazz guitar

JaBlue
04-08-2005, 12:41 AM
I want to purchase a hollow body electric for 500-1000$. Anyone have suggestions? I want to get a wes montgomery or joe pass type sound but I obviously can't afford a vintage gibson C-L5 or something which would be my true dream. Also I do not want to get an Epiphone Dot. I don't mind to get a used guitar in good condition either, so if that will put it in my price range that is perfectly fine. Thanks

pshreck
04-08-2005, 12:43 AM
http://www.allegromusic.ca/images/instuments/guitar/kids_girl.jpg

KDawgCometh
04-08-2005, 01:15 AM
the guitar is one way to get the sound you want, but the strings and gauge #s go a long way too

JaBlue
04-08-2005, 01:22 AM
no, trust me its the guitar. I started playing guitar because I was into punk/rock/etc. and I got myself a les paul. Has a great versatile sound, but in terms of jazz it can't compete with a hollow body. Its just not even close.

turnipmonster
04-08-2005, 01:45 AM
get a used ibanez AS (john scofield) or PM (metheny) series guitar. ultimately it's not about the guitar, though /images/graemlins/smile.gif. jim hall used a les paul for a while.

--turnipmonster

JaBlue
04-08-2005, 02:13 AM
the 'guitar doesn't matter' argument is somewhat true but not nearly as true as for other instruments. For instance, Charlie Parker played a plastic saxophone. Anyway, for my experience I have played my les paul and I have played an epiphone studio dot for gigs and practice. I love the les paul for rock etc. and even blues sometimes but if you want a nice bright sound that isn't tinny, its just very hard to get without the right amplification system. Similarly, the same goes for amps. You may be the greatest player in the world, but you will never get a good jazz sound from a mesa combo amp.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely have to go to Guitar Center to go check them out.

PS I believe its possible to get a good jazz sound from a nice les paul because they are such versatile guitars, but you would probably have to do this with a vintage LP and not a newer epiphone

DoubleClutch
04-08-2005, 02:23 AM
If you haven't done so already, try Godin Guitars. They are very underrated and very reasonably priced (though you may have to look around for a deal).Though I haven't played these particular models (only the LG and LGXT) you may be interested in the "Montreal" or "Flat 5". As I have heard great things. Unfortunately, I don't think GC carries them.

Godin Homepage (www.godinguitars.com)

twang
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
I can't remember the exact model number, but Ibanez has (had?) a really nice George Benson signature guitar that you might want to check out.

Edit: They are a bit pricey, but I'd guess you could get a used one in decent shape for about $1k.

Edit #2: Why not the Epiphone dot? It has pretty poor hardware, but it plays really nice IMHO. I'd say swapping the hardware gets you pretty close to a 335, minus the huge bucks.

/twang