PDA

View Full Version : I obviously need help....i keep blowing my stack at 5

colehard
04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Party Poker $10 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t565)
Hero (t655)
SB (t1060)
BB (t4600)
UTG (t1120)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>. Hero????

lastchance
04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Push, and it's not close.

yoadrians
04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
If you don't push your stack in the middle here, I don't know what your waiting for. Push. Push. Push twice on Sundays.

johnny005
04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
two words.......

ALL IN!

colehard
04-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks - I thought so but i needed reassurance as I embark on another OTM streak. I guess I am being too results oriented. I pushed and SB called with AK...

However, I do seem to get called a lot - even though I am tight in early levels. I was worried about the BB large stack who could easily call with any ace.

JP Rocks
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Considering the size of your stack, I would have been happy to see Ax call me in that situation. No limpers means no decent hands, so all 6 of your cards are probably still in the deck (I know one turned out to be in his hand....). Do you really expect many better hands in late position before the blinds eat you up?

lorinda
04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
You are possibly getting called a lot because your stack may be getting too small.

In this example it is fine, but it's possible you are waiting just a little too long before firing your chips in and not having a scary enough stack to make people fold.

It's a fine balance and takes a lot of practise to develop the instincts for it.

Fundamentally it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Lori

Apathy
04-07-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker $10 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t565)
Hero (t655)
SB (t1060)
BB (t4600)
UTG (t1120)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have to ask you probablt aren't pushing nearly enough.

colehard
04-07-2005, 11:29 PM
This is probably true. Unless I get a premium hand or hit a set early, I seem to get to level 4 with about 680 chips, wait for a hand and then suddenly it is level 5 and my (now 530) stack is useless.

Actually, i just tried a bit harder to push at level 4 and I just made 1st, 1st, 2nd - probably just had good cards though....

AA suited
04-08-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are possibly getting called a lot because your stack may be getting too small.

In this example it is fine, but it's possible you are waiting just a little too long before firing your chips in and not having a scary enough stack to make people fold.

It's a fine balance and takes a lot of practise to develop the instincts for it.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

lori,

and just what is that magic #?

i try to keep 5.5BB. anything less and i'm near deparation.

too much/too litle/just the right balance?

hummusx
04-08-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

MP (t565)
Hero (t655)
SB (t1060)
BB (t4600)
UTG (t1120)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the crappy times when someone calls with the better hand. I busted out of 2 tournaments simultaneously last night when I pushed with AK. One of them I was called by AT and THEN called by A7. I really couldn't ask for better callers. Lucky shmuck hit a 7 on the river. Oh well, I'm still gonna push Ak the next time I'm in the same situation, and hope that AT and A7 call me again so I can triple up.

JasonP530
04-08-2005, 12:43 PM
This is more of a stack accumulation problem than an "i keep finishing 5th" problem. You had to make a move there because you could increase your stack 25%, and you wouldnt make it to the money without doubling through. You would rather win without being called, but you have hand just in case....

Blarg
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MP (t565)
Hero (t655)
SB (t1060)
BB (t4600)
UTG (t1120)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the crappy times when someone calls with the better hand. I busted out of 2 tournaments simultaneously last night when I pushed with AK. One of them I was called by AT and THEN called by A7. I really couldn't ask for better callers. Lucky shmuck hit a 7 on the river. Oh well, I'm still gonna push Ak the next time I'm in the same situation, and hope that AT and A7 call me again so I can triple up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a good outlook on it.

I did a lot of pushing today and placed in the money a lot, and got a few first, but I also busted out sometimes earlier than I thought I would, because people were calling me with garbage and then getting ridiculously good cards. I had to keep in mind that most of the time, I want them calling with crap, because most of the time they will help my stack a lot when doing it.

One guy lost a SNG and came into the new one I was in and couldn't stop talking about how a guy called his AA all-in with K2 offsuit and beat him, knocking him off the table. After he went on for like 15 minutes I told him he'd better hope that guy calls his all-ins with K2 offsuit every single time.

11t
04-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Pushes instantly

Cry Me A River
04-08-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I told him he'd better hope that guy calls his all-ins with K2 offsuit every single time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tap the glass.

johnnybeef
04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

lori,

and just what is that magic #?

i try to keep 5.5BB. anything less and i'm near deparation.

too much/too litle/just the right balance?

[/ QUOTE ]

a very wise man (perhaps even more wise than even yoda himself...) once told me that 5 bb is just about right. i implemented this number for 500 or so sngs, and it works like a charm.