PDA

View Full Version : Posts and New Software

Mason Malmuth
10-26-2002, 03:52 AM
I've done some counting, and it looks like we have been averaging a little over 500 posts a day for the past few days. That compares with about 350 posts a day under the old software. So it seems that the changeover has been successful which contradicts the poster below.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the support.

Best wishes,
Mason

10-26-2002, 10:49 AM
More posts? More drivel. Your best posters have long gone. This used to be my homepage, now there's nothing to read and if there is, I can't find it. I'm looking at this reply page as I'm typing - lots of silly icons. I used to visit this website every day, now it's once a week in the hope it's readable again. Take a look around the Web - the best sites are EASY & READABLE & SIMPLE. I'm glad you're happy, because your ex-participants are not.

Homer
10-26-2002, 11:46 AM
This is easy and readable and simple to people with even the slightest bit of computer skills. Why don't you post under your name instead of under anonymous? If you are going to complain about the layout of the site, it is probably better to post using a name. Your argument might actually carry some weight in that case, if indeed you are a long-time, reputable poster.

-- Homer

Allan
10-26-2002, 11:56 AM
I find it odd that people involved in a game of constant adjustments can't get comfortable with the change of software........

Allan

Ed Miller
10-26-2002, 02:08 PM

John Cole
10-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Mason,

I'm surprised at you. Although there may be a connection between the new software and the number of posts, it's not necessarily a correlation, as you seem to imply. You'll need to do better if you really want to "contradict" the poster below.

10-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Mason, for what it's worth, I liked the old software much more than this new software.

ripdog
10-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Good point, J.C. As a former mechanic I had to rely on my tools day in and day out. There were guys who would come in with a massive index of drill bits that they had purchased from J.C. Whitney for $29.99. They'd get well over 100 mechanic length bits for this price. Of course the bits would overheat or break long before getting any real work done. So in the end, I'll stick with my set of 20 cobalt bits which cost me over $100, TYVM. But I guess we're seeing things from the other side of the fence here. Advertisers would go for quantity, so that is great news for the Grand Poobah. However, I have noticed that posts from the likes of Tommy Angelo have been greatly diminished, so Anonymous has got a point. I would not sacrifice quality for quantity. By the way, I've never seen the inside of one of those $0.99 stores, but something tells me that maybe Mason has /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

John Cole
10-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Ripdog,

Of course, Tommy may be doing other stuff at the moment, and perhaps he lacks time.

BTW, I spent many years working in construction businesses, and most of the mechanics I knew favored the J.C. Whitney approach. They often wondered why I spent more money stocking six line bolts.

John

10-26-2002, 09:00 PM
It is preferable that there be a turnover of new people, to a stale set of regulars. After all, you can only buy HFPAP once!

But I'm curious, who are these "best posters" - Paul Pudaite, MildManneredMathMan, Tommy Angelo?

Tommy Angelo got a new job as a love slave to a high-powered marketing executive.

eLROY

mikelow
10-26-2002, 09:09 PM
view counts per thread are higher also. Does this mean
that more people are viewing or a bug?

10-27-2002, 12:18 PM
I would post under my regular name if I knew how.Computer skills is what Microsoft would like me to have, so that they could get richer. If they knew how to really design computers, we wouldn't need skills, any more than we need a knowledge of cars to drive them. Anyway, 2+2 has succumbed to computer geekdom, which is why intelligent people with a life have stopped posting here. I remember the day when I could just look at a whole bunch of threads with one click. I don't do smiley icons and if I have to click more than once, I'm outta here.

Clarkmeister
10-27-2002, 01:00 PM
"Tommy got a new job as a love slave to a high powered marketing executive"

True, but can you blame him? I can't. You da man Tommy!

MMMMMM
10-27-2002, 07:44 PM
I think Mason ought to tell us the margin of error that these results might include, and whether such a distribution falls within three standard deviations.

Homer
10-28-2002, 01:31 PM
You have got to be trolling. You have to click much LESS now than before, as you can view an entire thread at once, rather than having to click on each post/response. Also, to sign up, you click on New User and enter a username and password. If you can't do this, I don't know what to tell you. And just ignore the smileys.

-- Homer