PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 BB

arkady
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Help me out folks please. I am losing a ton more in my 10/20 BB than I did at 5/10. Back in 5/10 I had it at the level everyone has it...(.14) or so.

Right now mine is (.24) I am not a stat guy, but can running badly really influence one's BB that stongly? This is after 15k or so hands and at this point I am break even. Is the addition of a cheaper SB making the BB a more multi-way contest thus changing the way I should be defending?

Can anyone theorize on what differences there be? I don't even recall losing this much in 5/10 out of the BB even while running badly.

Some other numbers out of the BB:

VPIP : 16.84 (defense: 70%)
Went to SD: 28.73
Won at SD: 52.14
PF raise: 6.3
Won when saw flop: 29

My SB is (.07) which is maybe .03 worse than I would want it to be, but not nearly as problematic as the big one.

any advice appreciated.
donations welcomed.
gifts accepted.

bds
04-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I am not an expert player so please take what I say with a grain of sale. I am, though, winning at this level and since noone has yet responded, I thought I'd take a try at answering you.

My preflop raise out of BB is 8%. I go to SD more (33%) but win at SD less (49%). Won when saw flop 32%. I'm also playing many more hands than you (26). This suggests that maybe you need to go to settlement more, because lots of players are very aggressive with less than great holdings. My BB is (.15) and SB (.10). Combined with the other stats, it seems you are folding your BB too often to aggression and perhaps should see more flops from this position. My stats based on 84,000 hands and a win rate of .83 bb/100.

Finally, I really struggled with this level and continue to struggle. What really helped me is hiring another player who is a proven winner at this level to review hands for me. Perhaps you can find someone to help in that way. This has been well worth what it costs me.

Good luck - 10/20 is still a big adjustment from 5/10 for me as well.

J.R.
04-08-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is after 15k or so hands and at this point I am break even.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that its really relevant or anything but I won 3.8bbs/100 over 11,000 hands at 5-10 a few months ago and my position stats from the bb were (.22) over this period.... sadly while my BB number returned to normal, so did my winrate.

ignoring that anectdote about sample size, why do you fold your BB to a steal 70% of the time (or does that 70% mean you fold your BB to a steal 30% of the time)...either way, that seems like something to think about

[ QUOTE ]

Won when saw flop: 29

[/ QUOTE ]

seems a bit light (not tremendously), do you play back enough

mperich
04-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Blind defense is also my biggest leak I believe. Im not really sure what it is, since I play well out of position ) +.13bb/100 UTG) However my BB is at -.17 and my sb -.09

VPIP : 32.26(defense: 70%)
Went to SD: 31.7
Won at SD: 49.9
PF raise: 9.6
Won when saw flop: 32

This doesnt help much but those are my stats and I'd also like to hear other peoples stats. This is over ~70k hands.

-Mike

DrGutshot
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I think there are 2 profitable ways to play the BB. One is to defend a lot (fold% 50-65), and push hard postflop with hands that are often not the best.

The other is to not defend much at all (fold%70-80), and still push hard (but this time because you have the best hand).

Maybe you're stuck between the two? i.e. defending a fair amount of the time but not pushing hard enough on missed or semi-missed flops.

Just my opinion, I think the first option has the potential to cut down losses more (<-0.13) but is more difficult to play and opponent specific. The 2nd option probably will hold a decent -0.14-0.17 loss range.

-DrG

rtrombone
04-08-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can running badly really influence one's BB that stongly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's too early to start worrying.

arkady
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
thanks for the responses fellas. seems like most of you are focusing on one particular problem and that is the post flop play out of the bb. I fail to go to SD frequently in the BB because I guess I fold too much. Maybe I fold too much because I am being over run by more aggro players than I am used to in 5/10. Perhaps just seeing a showdown more often w/A high or seeing the turn/river more often w/speculative holdings.

I realize that everytime a 20+ PFR is raising me that his holdings are extremely wide, so what am I so afraid of?

As far as hiring other people, that is one thing I don't think I will ever do. Poker is a personal challenge and if I cannot do it myself, I will not do it. Probably a foolish approach due to some ego/pride elements, but hiring someone requires I admit defeat.

*if* some buddies want to take a look at a few hundreds hands, by all means. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

To clarify, I fold to BB steal 70% of the time.

kiddo
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as hiring other people, that is one thing I don't think I will ever do. Poker is a personal challenge and if I cannot do it myself, I will not do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, you only read books written by yourself and only read your own posts at this forum?

arkady
04-09-2005, 11:50 AM
There is a distinct difference between educating yourself and having yourself be educated.