PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

Tyler Durden
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I was walking down the street today and I passed a guy w/ no arms. I then thought that no matter how down I feel about something, I should be grateful for what I have, in that I'm healthy and have a great family and great friends.

This post isn't a joke, it's serious. I think the same thing when I see a blind person.

So whatever is wrong in your life, it could be a lot worse. It's important to keep that in mind.

daryn
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
"he drove a car with no arms??"

"ok, i made that part up."

AlienCorpse
04-07-2005, 06:25 PM
This is an inspiring post. I think I'm going to go cut peoples arms off so I feel better about my life.

eric5148
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an inspiring post. I think I'm going to go cut peoples arms off so I feel better about my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thankful that I don't live in Germany, where people do that for real.

Boris
04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
A few weeks ago I was whining about some trivial unpleasantness in my life when I went to visit a childhood friend who had been rendered quadrapalegic in a car accident. The guy has convinced himself that he will walk again. He is really happy and upbeat. Kind of made me feel like a tool.

On the drive I started thinking. My buddy is, I believe, truely a happier person than I am. So would I want to switch places with him? The answer was undequivocally no. So there you have it. In my shallow little world the body is more important than spiritual well being.

HesseJam
04-07-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, come on! It's not that we are doing this every day. Do we?

mason55
04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, come on! It's not that we are doing this every day. Do we?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, if your sample size is small enough.

Ulysses
04-07-2005, 09:19 PM
This is one good reason to volunteer. Definitely helps keep things in perspective.

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 09:31 PM
I do service work sometimes in psychiatric hospitals, talking to the patients. Many of them will never leave. My problems always seem a hell of a lot smaller when I leave. And they've let me leave every time so far! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sthief09
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I bet you weren't thinking that way when you busted out 126th in the 2004 WSOP

stankybank
04-07-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So whatever is wrong in your life, it could be a lot worse. It's important to keep that in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I try to keep this in mind as much as possible whenever I feel 'unlucky' about something. Anything. Whether it be a losing session or more serious, perhaps real life issues, I constantly tell myself that there are more unfortunate people out there. I don't know if this is right or wrong though because it almost feels like I'm looking for a reason to better one up myself by comparing my situation to others and judging who has the better life by looking at external circumstances. There are lots of happy people out there who are poor in one way or another and lots of sad people out there who are loaded with every possible toy. In any case, I think it's natural for people to feel some type of empathy or sympathy towards others and I guess even if it's wrong for me to say that my life is better than another's, it's okay to feel for someone because they don't have what I feel they should have.

zephed56
04-07-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or Florida.

Arnfinn Madsen
04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Even more inspiring:
We have a guy in my home city that has no arms or legs and he makes a lot of jokes about how hard life is with his big handicap:

he has a gap between his two front teeth

Brainwalter
04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate.

nothumb
04-08-2005, 02:30 AM
There was a guy on CNN today with no arms who played guitar for the Pope. Three times. With his feet.

But he just played in an open tuning. Didn't even use minor chords. Honestly I could learn to do what he does in like 3 hours. It's just that I have arms.

NT

tdarko
04-08-2005, 02:35 AM
thanks for the post durden i too had a similar experience last week.

i had just been released after 4 years with an organization (which explains my recent post count increase) and after i had a great spring, and on my way home i just kept thinking about how unfair and shitty what they did to me was. but then my best friend called me to tell me her father died of a heart attack. this is a girl that lost her mother when she was 10 of a brain tumor, now she has no parents. it made me realize how lucky i am to have the things in my life that really mean something.

ethan
04-08-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one good reason to volunteer. Definitely helps keep things in perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very much true.

My mother spent a couple years recruiting donations at a homeless shelter, and this followed 4-5 years working helping semi-crazy people. (They were classified as crazy, then Reagan redefined what "crazy" was so they couldn't stay at the mental hospital anymore.)

Time around these people gave me most all the perspective I'll ever need, as far as convincing myself that I have things pretty damn good and should volunteer to help others. Picking up spoiled cabbage from a food bank and bringing it to people who are ecstatic to see you _will_ have a profound effect on you.

I'm not rich, but I know what poverty and trouble are and it helps me appreciate what I have.