PDA

View Full Version : Any benefit in folding?

Nacarno
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
There's a T25 ante at this point as well so after posting the SB I have T5 left. I figure the chip leader is calling with any two.

------------
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t230)
BB (t60)
UTG (t3555)
Button (t9655)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t400, Hero ???
------------

If I fold, and the Button wins, it's all gravy, but if I fold and the short stack wins we're both forced all-in on the next hand, but if we both lose I finish OTM.

If I call, and the button wins I finish ITM and if I win I'm also ITM. The only problem is if I call and the BB wins the main pot and the Button wins the side - then I'm OTM. However, against 2 hands I figure the BB has much worse chance of winning so I should call, right?

I started to try and use ICM, but all the side pot stuff got me really confused. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

sofere
04-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Easy call, only one of you needs to beat BB for you to make the money and KT is a favorite against a random hand. Would you rather wait until you have to beat 2 players to make the money?

citanul
04-07-2005, 06:24 PM
it seems like your analysis of what is going on here is just spot on. i'm not staring at a calculator right now, but i'm pretty certain that you should call here. i've however been surprised by some results of the icm in the past week or so, so i could be wrong. it just seems intuitive that you must call here, not only bcause your hand is so good, and you need to have the maximum probability to knock out the opponent, but because you have the opponent covered, and if you did fold here and your opponent won, you were toast.

citanul

Nacarno
04-07-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've however been surprised by some results of the icm in the past week or so, so i could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. When I'm dealing with side pots and main pots should I just treat them as two independent heads-up cases? Can anyone help me out with this?