PDA

View Full Version : Yuck. AKs early, muck it?

davehwm
04-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Lay this down and look for a better spot? Immediate thoughts are mid pocket pair.. lay it down early? Or take a chance he's pushing with AQ, AJ, some other crazy [censored]?

Edit: A few factors here - does the limp re-raise make you more or less willing to push? Does the original re-raiser make you less willing?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t710)
MP1 (t1170)
MP2 (t710)
Hero (t775)
CO (t585)
Button (t420)
SB (t1265)
BB (t845)
UTG (t875)
UTG+1 (t645)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t65, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t175</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1170 (All-In)</font>, Hero??

lehighguy
04-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes

HC5831
04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lay this down and look for a better spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, A.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, 1 fold, Hero raises to t75, 2 folds, SB calls t65, BB raises to t175, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to t1170 (All-In), Hero??

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, there is no doubt that this is a laydown here. AK, is only A high before the flop. You are likely dominated. Also, include the buy in. Contrary to popular belief, a 10+1 does not play the same as a 200+15.

HC

tricolore
04-07-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lay it down early?
Or take a chance he's pushing with AQ, AJ, some other crazy [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

1- Yes
2- After a raise and a re-raise, odds are pretty small that this is the case. In any case, not sure you want to gamble ----all you chips --- with AK --- after two re-raises --- this early in the tourney.

davehwm
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lay this down and look for a better spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, A.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, 1 fold, Hero raises to t75, 2 folds, SB calls t65, BB raises to t175, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to t1170 (All-In), Hero??

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, there is no doubt that this is a laydown here. AK, is only A high before the flop. You are likely dominated. Also, include the buy in. Contrary to popular belief, a 10+1 does not play the same as a 200+15.

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how I'm likely dominated unless he's holding AA. An underdog to any pair under AA/KK but far from dominated.

The reason I ask is precisely because of the quality of play of 10+1 players. The limp re-raise all-in could mean a whole lot of things and I wonder how often I'll really be an underdog? Often enough to not push and run and get a drink - if I come back and I've doubled up great, if not don't think twice before firing up another one?

Like you said, this is a 10+1, not a 200+15. If I was one-tabling a higher level this would be an easy laydown. But the fact that I'm 4-tabling and it's only a 10+1 makes this closer I think.

P.S. I think I'm definitely guilty of results-oriented analysis here..

The Yugoslavian
04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I lay this down.

I think a more interesting question (and one that's been done several times before) is would you lay down QQ with no reads? If it depends on buyin, at what buyin is the line drawn? If it depends on day/time of day, then when is the line drawn? If it depends on your mood, how is that helpful reasoning?

Yugoslav
Who pities the fool who doesn't think what to do here with AA or KK is self evident....

davehwm
04-07-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lay this down.

I think a more interesting question (and one that's been done several times before) is would you lay down QQ with no reads? If it depends on buyin, at what buyin is the line drawn? If it depends on day/time of day, then when is the line drawn? If it depends on your mood, how is that helpful reasoning?

Yugoslav
Who pities the fool who doesn't think what to do here with AA or KK is self evident....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's still an auto-push for me with QQ here and it's not even close. And it has everything to do with the fact that it's a 10+1 which I failed to mention earlier - I apologize.

willie
04-07-2005, 05:55 PM
i think i fold here

but that mp limp/ reraise is a line i commonly take w/ jj early.

swarm
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Even considering calling this is silly in my opinion...

I don't know what buy in this is, 10+1 maybe I could see a call as people go all in with junk on that level but I would still fold as I don't need to win a coin flip in level I to beat the 10+1.

You raised, someone re-raised, and then a limper from early position pushes.

9 times out of 10 someone has KK or better. Plus with 3 people in this pot most likely it's also quite likely someone has AK as well taking two of your outs making you a bigger dog to any pocker pair.

Easy, Easy Fold...

EnderFFX
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Limp re-raise screams AA, KK sometimes. You are way behind, at very best a coin flip.

Dump it.

davehwm
04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limp re-raise screams AA, KK sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more at a 10+1.

nova
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Figure the call and push after a raise and a re-raise could mean either a complete loose cannon or a real powerhouse. If you are up against AA, oof. Some people on the lower buy in will slow play aces, and hope for that scenario right there. Sometimes with KK , QQ or JJ, especially early with no reads.

I'd fold it and live to fight another day: also could gain some valuable information to be used later on if someone calls and you see he was pushing with AJsuited or something to that effect. The other night I doubled up on the first hand getting into it with someone who had AQ, preflop all ins from both of us. Maybe not the best play on my part, but I'd feel a lot better getting all my chips in that early with AA or KK, but NOT AK (suited or not).

citanul
04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even considering calling this is silly in my opinion...

I don't know what buy in this is, 10+1 maybe I could see a call as people go all in with junk on that level but I would still fold as I don't need to win a coin flip in level I to beat the 10+1.

You raised, someone re-raised, and then a limper from early position pushes.

9 times out of 10 someone has KK or better. Plus with 3 people in this pot most likely it's also quite likely someone has AK as well taking two of your outs making you a bigger dog to any pocker pair.

Easy, Easy Fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, the only thing i want to add here is that you see idiots at the lower levels limp reraising with worse things than KK, even with heavy action to them.

Now, personally, i don't call here even if i've seen the guy limp reraise all the time with 99. your ak is VERY likely behind, if only by a little bit, and it's the rare player here who plays this way with AJ.

citanul